Wyze Thermostat Installation with No C-Wire at the Wall

The Wyze T-Stat installation video shows C-wire adapter installed (magnetized on the furnace). The adapter input has 5 wires including a C-wire that connects to the existing furnace wire terminals. The four existing wires from existing T-Stat connect to the C-wire adapter output. After this, the video shows the existing wires at the wall and all of a sudden a Fifth Blue Wire (the C-wire) shows up coming out of the Wall…!!! How that wire got there…!!!

Also, the C-wire provides continuous 24 volt power to the thermostat… Why then the thermostat cannot be Always-On on the screen…?!

I never noticed that. My guess is it is to show people who have the C-wire to connect it. You just have to connect the wires you have with the matching terminals on the thermostat and adapter. The C-wire adapter does not require any wires to be ran to the thermostat. I have my thermostat setup with the included C-wire adapter and 4 wires going to the thermostat itself, it works perfectly for me.

I think this is to save energy. The thermostat has a PIR sensor and the screen turns on when you come near it.

1 Like

If the T-Stat was battery operated, I would agree, But the energy saving for not having an always-on screen will be minuscule…! Hardly in cents never in dollars…!

1 Like

having the screen off would save the life of the screen. this might be one reason.

1 Like

I’m having trouble getting my thermostat to display the WYZE logo on instillation. All I get is a continuous clicking sound. I have a four wire setup on the thermostat - RC, W1, Y1, G (which becomes the C wire after installing the bypass provided)

Any ideas? Have you heard of the thermostats being bad on arival?

I have herd of this. You should contact support about this!
phone: (206) 339-9646 Available Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT and Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT
Or online: Wyze.com/support
phone support is typically faster however this isn’t always true due to fluctuation in the amount of calls.

Hi Brlepage

I got it to work . . . not with the wiring I had but I rewired. It was an easier fix then trying to make four wires work. Thanks for your help!

Did you wire a new fifth (C) wire?

The R carries 24 volts to the thermostat. The purpose of the C wire is to complete the circuit, so thermostats that are not battery powered can power up. The C itself does not send power to the thermostat. It’s like the nuetral wire in 120 volt home systems.