Wyze Thermostat Install error - Extra wire

I am getting a steady 26.8v between C and Rc.
I don’t believe there is a problem with the wiring, as both of my old thermostats work fine.

The insulation is fine, the cracks you see are only at the end of the wires and were caused by using the rough needle nose plyers to get the wires into their spots. As I mentioned, I scraped the side of the blue wire trying to straighten it and have since wrapped that small part of the wire with electrical tape.

The app would also not allow me past the Extra Wires error no matter how many times I tried. As stated, I was able to exit the app, re-open it, then see the Wyze thermostat and attempt to use it. When turning the system to Cool or Heat, it would let me select a temperature, then a few seconds later it would change to OFF, even if I enabled hold. The actual HVAC system would never turn on in any way.

One thing I do notice is a ton of similarities between Destro’s situation, and mine:
We both live in Florida.
We both have 15 year old systems manufactured by American Standard (Trane is made by American Standard).
We both have the same original thermostat, wired the same way.
We both now have the same problem with the WYZE thermostat.

It sounds to me like there is some kind of compatibility problem with the WYZE thermostat and our type of system. What surprises me, is that our systems are very simple heat pumps, very common models, and made by one of the biggest HVAC manufacturers. I don’t see anything complex about our setups that should bother any thermostat. Newer HVAC systems are much more complex with more stages and features than ever before. I would think WYZE should work with the basic systems if it can be trusted to control more complex systems.

It looks like others are having the same problem.
I wonder if they have similar HVAC systems? :thinking: