Wyze Thermometer and fevers?

Does the temperature need to be adjusted on the reading we get from the thermometer? For example, some ear thermometers or forehead thermometers say you need to add or subtract a certain degree to get an accurate reading. Does it display an accurate reading as-is, so is a 99.5 really 99.5? Or is it really 100.5?

Mine is fairly accurate. Keep in mind every person will have a different body temperature, For instance I run in the upper 97’s and rarely go over 98 and my WYZE Thermometer reads about the same as my oral thermometer. One guy I work with is around 96 something, or as I like to say he is about two hours dead! :smile:

A good idea to calibrate it to a known good thermometer when you get it. I imagine it will give different readings on different people as different skin types will give different reflection of heat due to oilyness and shade of skin tone. But what is important is consistency, more than actual reading.

Also note it is quite sensitive to distance. My 89 year old father has a hard time holding it still at the correct distance to get a reading. I don’t have that issue.

I understand that, what I’m asking is if a doctor says “do you have a temperature above 100.5?” can you go off the number given by the thermometer, or do you need to add or subtract. For example, my ear thermometer says that it is .5 degrees cooler than actual temperature.

The Wyze Thermometer is accurate to +/- by 0.04 degrees Fahrenheit.

1 Like

Actually, the iHealth Thermometer that Wyze helps distribute.

https://wyze.com/thermometer.html

Taken from the above product page:

“accuracy” is not the question.

This may help the OP … the big question is, "is the non-contact thermometer dedicated to report human temperature (and so will make the adjustment automagically), or is it a generic IR thermometer? If generic, you have to make the adjustment. (PDF also attached)

EDIT:
Note: IR thermometers should ONLY be used for screening and NOT for diagnostic purposes.

thermometer_eng.pdf (441.2 KB)

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you.