Wyze Smart Window Shade/Curtains Motor or Blinds

I think it would be a great invention! To create a device that you can operate from your smartphone to control your window blinds! I know there are similar products but the price they charge is outrageous if you could create something more affordable I’m sure it would be an instant success

7 Likes

Hey @UserCustomerGwen, is this on the upcoming product roadmap? I’d love to see the next products you are releasing!

4 Likes

No, this isn’t on the current roadmap. But I would love to have this product! :grin:

7 Likes

Understood, thank you for the quick response!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Have a great day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess we’re all going to have to become a lot more ‘noisy’ within this thread to get Wyze’s attention to the fact that this is a worthwhile product to put out.
@UserCustomerGwen Do you think that would help? :wink:

2 Likes

More votes would help! But the existing folks getting noisy for the sake of adding comments is mostly just going to give me more reading material in my day. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I would like Wyze Smart Window Blinds! This would be a cool product for the future!

5 Likes

A small device that attaches to window blinds to open and close them.

7 Likes

Would love to see the Wyze version of a smart window shade opener that is just as competitive and reasonably priced. Currently, only seeing a few of these types of openers sold online and all are extremely expensive for such a small little device.

4 Likes

Would love to have a motorized window blind “add-on” component system within the Wyze family of home automation products … We’re currently looking to replace all of our old style narrow blinds with the newer 2" blinds and having them automated along with my other home Wyze components would be so much better than having to use another standalone home automation app/device.

6 Likes

A simple product which there is demand for, but little to no offerings for. There are some clunky prototypes and kickstarters - but how about Wyze develops an electric blind opener? Can use batteries, or he plugged in. Set on a timer, or manual open/close. I’d LOVE this product and would buy one for every window. Make this!

4 Likes

This made me think of Run Silent, Run Drapes, and Nadine Hurley…

1 Like

Is there any movement on Smart Blinds in the future??? I guarantee with the market being extremely expensive you would make a killing. Also due to households having so many windows in houses there would be multiple purchases per user…

6 Likes

Now that’s a new Wyze product I’d definitely like to see. Others are way more expensive than what they should be for what they are. Basically a gear drive servo motor and smart wifi or Zigbee interface. I was just looking for some basic Alexa compatible blind/shade chain drives last week and most start at at least $75 a piece. I did find one version from China on eBay that is a pair of them for $89 I think it was and I’m close to pulling the trigger on that one. I think it even has a little narrow window suction cup solar panel charger to, but I looked at so many, I might be mixing that up with another one.

6 Likes

Please please make blinder controllers :pray:t3:

3 Likes

I was just catching up on the Wyze AMA. The H/W team were asked at 53:40 whether smart blinds was on the horizon… Mike Sobaski said “no, I don’t think so”, and Kim Jin shook her head. I’m guessing it hasn’t been considered, which is a pity.
Wyze already has expertise in small and powerful servo motors through your work with LockIn on the WyzeLock. As mentioned above, every house has multiple windows, if they were to price a blind pulley similar to Brunt Blind Engine) at $50 they’d get a huge slice of the market. If they were to price a smart curtain-rail (similar to Zemismart) or curtain motor (similar to SwitchBot Curtain) at $100 or $50 respectively they would make a killing!
The window-coverings are a major part of smart-home security - to be able to close your curtains or blinds at sunset or remotely would be a huge benefit to people generally.

6 Likes

It’s almost too obvious of a product to make. Instead they made a sprinkler control system!!! 100% of people who own a home own multiple windows that need covered for security. Maybe 35% of home owners have a sprinkler…

3 Likes

I’m guessing the reason they’re avoiding this is that the distribution challenges of smart shades are orders of magnitude more difficult than anything else they sell.
Cameras, headphones, sensors, sprinkler controllers, etc - basically one SKU for each.
If they start making smart shades they would need to either offer sizing/color customization, or provide the motor and controller to a third party who then assembles the blinds. Alternately they could go the IKEA method and just offer a few sizes, but I don’t like that approach (the reason I’m not just buying IKEA shades is that they won’t fit my windows), or they could offer a single, oversized system that customers trim, but that could create a headache of customer complaints. I’m actually really surprised by the sprinkler product because I’m guessing there will be a lot of support questions from homeowners trying to install it themselves. It seems like more of a B2B product.

Creating the HW and using a third-party to handle sizing and distribution seems like the best option, but it is also a big change from their existing business model. I’d love to see it work, but I’m not holding my breath. Just yesterday I cam across Tilt who makes a nice roller shade (reviewed on TheWireCutter). I’m not planning to buy new shades until next year, so I’m still waiting and hoping things change, but if I had to buy right now then Tilt would be my pick. If my windows were smaller - IKEA.

Come on Wyze! Figure it out and enter the market! :wink:

1 Like

Rather than trying to compete against the major shade/blind manufacturers, I think the real opportunity here is to develop a blind automation kit which would allow for the retrofit of existing manually operated blinds into automated blinds. There appears to be some dimensional headrail standarization across the major blind manufacturers which have allowed for products like Tilt’s “Blind Automation Kit” for $150 to flourish. as a retrofit solution to automate a customer’s existing blinds. Lots of growth potential for a clever Wyze solution here.

2 Likes