Wyze Smart Plug

There are cheaper plugs since I have 10 around the house. But the ones I have are up 10 A and the wyze are rated to 15 A which is a difference when it comes to higher demanding applyences. Also the ones that are like the Wyze from what I’ve seen are more expensive than the $10 dollars these are going to cost. But nothing is set in stone let’s see when we get official news from them directly. Nothing better than the info straight from the horses mouth.

I find it strange all the one app comments
I have 4 apps for cameras & 3 apps for smart home

but all my devices are controlled through 1 app
Google home

using it I can view cameras on TV’s, turn switches/lights/plugs on & off, see & set % of dimmers, see & set temperature of water & heating, play music in a room of my choice & select a program to watch on TV

I can use Alexa for most of that but wyze isn’t available outside of the US

Same here. But you need to remember that not everyone is as comfortable managing or setting up multiple aps.

I’m still having issues with my bulbs turning on by themselves. I had to unhook one of them.

Hello!

Just to throw my 2cents in. I would much prefer a Smart Switch over a Smart Plug. Unless the plug would still work with the “dumb” switch already wired on the circuit. I wasn’t sure if that’s implied or not. And for it to be small enough to fit in 2/3-gang boxes.

Love the other Wyze products!

Cheers

2 Likes

The outlet would be a “pocket socket”… It plugs in to an existing wall outlet.
Cutting the power to the outlet via a switch would cause disconnection and render the “smarts”… dumb until powered on again from the switch.

@SupaIrish I’m thinking a smart switch will probably be next on the next priority on their list of wyze products… But for now you can vote for it.

2 Likes

Would be nice to have the outlet on the side rather than face for close quarter installation.

3 Likes

WYZE RELEASED A SMART PLUG!!! Yeah!!

I would hope it would have on/off modes as well as a momentary mode that can act like a button (both NC and NO) with a tunable wait time. I plan on plugging in a 120v ac relay and tying it into my garage opener button.

1 Like

Just curious have you seen if the Wyze ones will be UL listed? I don’t recall seeing it on the spec sheet, but maybe I missed it.

1 Like

It is ETL certified which like UL is also OSHA approved.

2 Likes

This is the one I have been using. Also have another power strip style at the office. They work very well

Use a sonoff module. They have momentary options.

No. I like Wyze

I have my modem from Comcast (even though it is a rip off as they always caused connection issues when I owned my own) and you can reboot modem through your Comcast account.

The “smart plug” is another big “brick” standing proud of the wall and dangling by the power-connecting blades, which have been forced into duty of load-bearing supports …

I’d like to see Wyze offer a replacement, in-wall, combo outlet. Externally it would look like one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXWRJ4X

Two traditional AC outlets, plus two USB “charging” ports.

I chose to get a couple of these from Home Depot to power my Wyze Cams rather than use the included power supply brick. So far the USB ports are working fine.

But a “smart” plug INSIDE the wall instead of hanging off the wall would be great.

Is there room in the power junction box for all the smart features? Will the power wiring more-or-less coiled inside the junction box interfere with WiFi? Can the WiFi signals get out of metal junction box — assuming the AC ports aren’t in a modern plastic box?

Anyhow, is there any hope of a smart plug or USB transformer that ISN’T just another brick in the wall?

4 Likes

If your outlets are load bearing I think you have larger concerns.

1 Like

Design might be a little cramped to have two USB (along with their transformer), two sockets, and Wi-Fi in a single box.

If you want that, a Lutron $etup i$ the be$t option.

Also older houses with grounded metal boxes may likely cause wifi strength issues. Newer houses will have plastic so it’d be ok.

I find these to be pretty robust physically. I wonder if your existing outlets are worn out ?

My house isn’t older. Don’t have any problems with my existing sockets. The home just doesn’t have a whole house surge protector installed. I have surge protector sockets installed where needed though. Even with plastic boxes, things get a bit cramped in there.