Wyze Smart Lock over direct WiFi, no gateway

Use as less component as possible. Get rid of the zigbee/z-wave gateway. Forget about the SmartThings and other hubs.
Major smart lock makers have released their latest products that link to the internet directly through built-in Wifi. This greatly simplified the configuration. Almost every house has wifi router.
I will get a wifi smart lock if Wyze makes one in the near future.

There is a reason why battery-operated devices use z-wave/zigbee. With wifi, be prepared to change your batteries every 3 months, if you are not so lucky- every few weeks.

The battery may last a bit longer with WiFi 6 TWT. Battery life is important but it is not the only thing to consider.

There are users that don’t mind changing the battery every 3 months, but do want to have the simplicity of the wifi based locks.

I have a SmartThings hub that only links to one device, a z-wave lock. If I upgrade my lock now, wifi is the feature I am looking for. All the other Iot I have use wifi.

No argument there. There are users willing to sacrifice battery life for simplicity. But not most people. Otherwise Wyze wouldn’t bother with the bridge. Simpler for us is simpler (and cheaper) to them as well.

Correct me if i am wrong but isn’t it safer to have the gateway, in case someone hacks your WiFi. I think gateway and lock have encrypted communication between each other, but maybe an option to set it up the other way.