Wyze Smart Button

Just saw this thread!
Here’s the first video I ever made, way too incredibly long, of me creating a hack button out of a contact sensor lol!
Enjoy!

5 Likes

This is awesome!! @caustik

1 Like
1 Like

Very cool switch!
The first button I made, out of a listerine cap, my GF turned it into a foot switch just by placing it on the floor! Blew my mind! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you are the type of person btw that would do well to have a 3d-printer.

1 Like

Yeah they seem very cool!
I’ve never even seen one before, but I’m just starting to get an idea of the amazing things you can do with one!

1 Like

They are pretty reasonably priced these days. You can get them for as little as $100 but I would recommend going to about $200. I like the Ender 3 pro.

1 Like

I actually really like the idea of an IoT switch, I think there are plenty of applications for this if only to serve as a physical switch replacement for lights.

For example, I use the scheduler to turn the hallway light on at 1% and warm for my kids as a nightlight and bathroom guide light. The issue is, we instinctively turn the physical switch off sometimes and this breaks the schedule or causes confusion. TO combat this, a simple IoT switch that is low profile would do the trick.

An AC powered version as a real replacement switch would also be desired… But a product with a face-plate to cover the removed physical switch and a small button / toggle switch with adhesive to be placed on the face-plate or anywhere else is a killer idea.

Remember Occam’s razor…

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind prototyping some ideas I have out… @UserCustomerGwen Do you know if there is any developer documentation readily available?

WOW! That’s way less than I was thinking!
Maybe if I am ever allowed back to work I can afford one! lol!
#wishlist2021

Someones selling them on etsy for only 3 bucks, along with some other mounts/switches

If you are going to do a makeshift solution, why not just solder a tactile button to it and drop it in a case or something?

that is me. I am selling them if people don’t have a 3D printer.

3 Likes

that is all fine if you are comfortable with soldering. but lots of people are not. this you can just slide the sensor and magnet in and you get the same functionality with zero skill.

2 Likes

Yea I can agree with that. I added a switch to one of my spare sensors and it does work nicely, but there is some setup in the app. I would like to see a native IoT button honestly.

1 Like

I agree there are lots of things they should do native. To me it seems like very low hanging fruit. One little hardware change to their wyze sense and a few lines of code to give it was to customize how it functions. they could then have a modular system that allows you to change the functionality of the sense. But well the hard fact is they dont make their hardware so it probably wont happen.

Wyze doesnr make their own hardware?? Wow… do you know if they have open source portions of their solution. I’m game for creating a button.

I don’t think it is open source. I think it is licensed from a Chinese (Xiaomi) manufacture which is why there are multiple companies that sell the same camera. like iSmartAlarm and a few others. They just write the firmware and create the ecosystem.

I have to say, I am rather disappointed… I really do like and support the echosystem, but this is a negative annototion in my book.

Xiaomi actually licenses the hardware from the same folks we do. :slight_smile:

But no, we don’t have any developer documentation available that I’m aware of. Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

What separates Wyze from a company like Xiaomi? They already have an impresive lineup of smart products of the same build quality. I hesitate to go with chinese solutions because they generally suck, but why should I keep my business with Wyze and not move over to their platform? They have a thermostat, button, cameras, sensors of a few sorts, heck even a smart flower pot ha…

The only real separation I can see is possibly latency due to sending info to servers in China, which is easily solved with a CDN, support quality, and maybe overall app quality and/or integrations. I went with wyze because I had a Wiz bulb and stumbled accross Wyze in the Google Home app and decided to investigate. The cheap hardware was so competitively priced that I felt I wouldnt have done my due dilligence if I didnt at least try it out. So far, I am pretty happy with it, but there are not many devices. And I do have some issues with devices being deauthenticated from the network because of signal strength (but thats on my side), which could be solved by a range extender or mesh.

Sorta just talking now I guess, but It is a valid question I think, and since this is an open forum, I would really like to know the answer from Wyze, why choose you over competition that use the same hardware?