Wyze Smart Button

This is a good idea!! Wyze please consider this!

1 Like

I just noticed this message from @mike.s. I hope that means it’s under consideration. Internally, the hardware could be nearly identical to the contact sensors, so it seems like it might be fairly easy to implement in terms of manufacturing.

1 Like

I would absolutely love a Wyze button…I’m imagining something small like the contact sensor or motion sensor that I could put at the end of my hall and assign to a macro like my “turn all bulbs off” macro for when I go to bed or leave the house. I have motion or contact sensors turning everything on and I’d love a quick way to turn them all off without using the app.

1 Like

Yep, I’m thinking that’s the perfect size and it will fit in with the aesthetic of the existing Wyze Sense stuff. It might be nice if it came with a plastic backplate you can snap it into, instead of ONLY an adhesive option. (Although it could certainly come with adhesive as well) Since you’ll touch and interact with a button more often than the sensors, it would be nice to have a more solid mounting option.

I just had a cool idea – if the button can be used as a toggle, it would be useful to have a green/red LED on it. Since the button would most likely be battery-powered, it probably doesn’t make sense to leave the light on all the time, but if you’re using it as a toggle, it could flash the LED green when you’ve turned something on, and red when you’re turned something off, just to give you visual feedback that you’ve performed the expected action.

I have two of these Alexa buttons. They flash one color to say command started and another color to let you know the command is completed. One of mine shuts the lights off everywhere but the bedroom over a 5 minute period. Then it arms the alarm in stay mode.

The other one turns off all lights in the house over a 5 minute period then arms the alarm in away mode (which turns Alexa guard on which turns some lights in the house on/off simulating occupied activity) sets the thermostat to the away schedule and when supported will turn all my inside cameras on.

1 Like

It doesn’t support toggling, right? I looked into those at one point but everything I could find online seemed to say it can’t be used as a toggle, which is fairly limiting, in my opinion.

If you were using it with a light, for example, it would be nice if a button press turned the light ON, if the light is OFF, and turns the light OFF if the light is ON.

Same with home/away mode. It would be nice, if I can press it when I leave to go trigger away mode, and press it when I return to disable away mode. But it doesn’t seem to work that way.

1 Like

The limitation there is that lights in Alexa do not expose their current status via Routines. I understand this is coming near term. When it does then it could be used as a toggle. Until then, nope.

My hope is both Wyze/Hue and ultimately others will give us more access via API’s that could be accessed via Alexa or Google or IFTTT or Billy Bob down the road. It’s coming I think but the market is still very fragmented and competitive.

Google/Amazon/SmartThings/Wyze etc are all in both the smart home device market with locks, cameras, thermostats etc and some are also in the command and control side as well.

To some degree they are incentivized not to be cooperative so it will be interesting to watch how it plays out and which if any standards emerge.

Whether the light gives visual feedback or not, it would be nice if the button could be used as a toggle, which isn’t currently possible, as far as I understand. Right?

Amazon seems fairly willing to cooperate. Google less so. Apple least of all. But yeah, we’ll see how everything plays out in the next couple of years. Amazon seems to have smarthome dominance so far, and since they seem the most willing to “play ball” with other devices, I’m hopeful that may bode well for the future “openness” of the smart home.

Not at the moment, as I mentioned above, once state is exposed which they have confirmed on the developer site, then it will indeed function as a toggle. Until then nope.

I share your hope, and agree that so far Amazon seems to be the most agreeable of the big three.

I think you misunderstood me, I am not speaking of the lights on the button but Alexa exposing the status or state of a light bulb, Hue or Wyze or whomever.

I might buy one once they add toggle support. Right now, $20 isn’t really worth it for me, for something that doesn’t really function the way I’d want it to anyway.

Although if it were $5 on Black Friday or something, I’d probably bite. Haha. I’ve got 3 Amazon Plugs because of this. They’re nowhere near the best smart plugs on the market since they’re limited to Alexa, but Amazon routinely puts them on sale for $5, which makes it an easier “Yes.”

1 Like

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, I did misunderstand. The Alexa app DOES have the state, though. I guess you’re just saying the state isn’t shared with the button?

1 Like

It does indeed have the state, you just can’t currently use that state in a conditional or in a routine like:

If light is on then or If light is off then

But that functionality is coming according to Amazon devs on their site.

2 Likes

This would be a good use case for a Wyze Virtual Switch, by the way. :slight_smile: I keep trying to pimp this wishlist item, because I’d love for them to implement it. Haha. It hasn’t gotten a lot of votes yet, but I think if people understood what they could do with this, they’d be all over it. And it seems like it should be super simple for Wyze to implement. Basically, if there were a virtual switch which could be toggled by Alexa, (or Google or IFTTT or whatever) you could use an external device (Like an Echo Button) to toggle any rule you could think of in the Wyze app. It wouldn’t just be limited to the features Wyze has direct Alexa support for.

It’s the simplest way for them to make their logic a lot more powerful across platforms. Essentially, anything you could automate in Wyze could be automated through Alexa, and anything you could automate through Alexa could be automated through Wyze.

1 Like

Mainly because, like you said, people don’t realize what you can do with them. I have a bunch of them in SmartThings to accomplish various things.

1 Like

I think I voted for your wishlist on that. State toggles would be nice, I very much am anxiously awaiting them in Ring and Alexa and Wyze among other platforms. There are some but for whatever reason they are few and far between in home automation.

You didn’t. Neither did you, @WyzeJasonJ. Go do it! Hahaha. :wink:

1 Like