WYZE Sensor Question - Outdoor Use

Ah sorry Gemniii,

I misread saran. Apologies.

Kenner

1 Like

Any update how it is working with Saran wrap

I just did a quick in-house test to see if the sensor worked through saran wrap - actually a no-name plastic film like saran wrap. I don’t know if it affected distance but I do know it didn’t totally block the signal.

I bought some small polycarbonate boxes from China via eBay. They’re slightly larger then the sensors and the magnet seems to activate the sensor just fine. The boxes are waterproof (they actually put some crazy ip rating on them) with screw down covers and a gasket. They’re listed as wire junction boxes, wire splice boxes, waterproof plastic boxes, etc.).

Command strips work good for temp placements.

Actually, one side of the sensor is simply a sealed magnet it would be completely weather resistant the second part as a single tiny reset hole which can be mounted face down and/or simply put a small strip of tape over it. And, a sensor only costs about $6, so if it fails at some point during the first year, just replace it…

I jst put one of the PIR sensors outside…its under a small protected area so I think it will be ok. but I will update if I have issues.

I’m pretty stoked. I solved my false notifications (bugs and sunlight) with the Shortcuts feature. I was getting about 30 a night from the cameras due to bugs and another 50 a day because of the sun creating false alerts for the sense motion sensors.

• During the day (sun hits the motion sensors and creates constant notifications), I have a shortcut to turn off the motion sensors. Another shortcut to turn on the Camera Motion Notifications. All set just before sunrise.

• Then at night, I have a shortcut to turn off the Camera Motion Notifications, and another shortcut to turn on the motion sensors. Just after sunset.

Good tip.

I do wish that in addition to shortcuts being able to toggle the notifications on/off that you could use them to toggle the video recordings setting associated with motion sensors.

I ended up doing something similar to you, but because the sensor motion recordings can’t be toggled via a shortcut, I ended up with dozens of recordings in the Event timeline as the sunlight passes over the porch. I don’t get those as notifications, but they do still get recorded. I’m hoping that the hundreds of recordings will eventually encourage wyze to add a feature to toggle the Sensor Video setting as well.

1 Like

Great point and totally agree!