Wyze sense keeps going offline

My sense starter kit seemed reliable for a few days before I added additional contact sensors.

I added additional sensors yesterday and it seemed to be working.
This morning, everything is offline.

Restarting cameras doesn’t appear to be bringing the sensors back online, either.

1 Like

Same boat here. I’m trying to put a contact sensor in my mailbox. Well, putting it there was easy. But it kept going offline. So, I took sensor #2 from the starter kit and tried installing it a foot from the camera. It now keeps going offline. Now, when I back out of the sensor screen, then go back in, it will accurately report the status, then go back offline.

Plus, when the mailbox sensor was first installed, it kept a running record of times of opens and closes. Sensor #2 leaves no such footprints.

Methinks the systems were rolled out without sufficient lab vetting. I do believe I’ll wait a week and see if any fixes are announced.

2 Likes

Same problem here. I am using all original cable to power camera up. I also noticed that the bridge device on the camera becomes quite (very !) hot.
Contact sensors go offline after a few hours. I need to reboot the camera with the bridge, then contact sensors go online again, but for a few hours only.
That is sooooo frustrating !

1 Like

I had this problem with 1 sensor(motion).
May or may not apply to you… I narrowed it down to the signal. It showed full bars, however, I know that this is more of a guide as just because the device can see the hub well, does NOT mean it can communicate well. (same applies to wifi on your phone)

I did a bit of testing and determined that the signal was trying to pass through a “wrapped” steel I-Beam. I re-positioned the camera 1 foot lower, which allowed the signal to pass beneath said I-Beam and the motion sensor no longer goes offline and has been reporting correctly since.

Now other things that can affect a wireless signal… older microwave ovens (these have been known to affect the 2.4 wifi band when between a device and the signal source)… Not saying this is the issue, but perhaps something to consider.

2 Likes

The Sense uses 908Mhz.

@Loki corrected that statement. :wink:

2 Likes

Could someone put this in a category of Specifications under the
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026255671-Wyze-Sense-User-s-Guide

All specs are currently available through the shopping section in the app under “Details” for each product, and on the website at the bottom of each product’s page. I can bring your suggestion up with Wyze. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It appears that my problem was distance from the bridge.

I installed a second bridge yesterday, and only 1 sensor is offline this morning (out of 11 sensors).
That one sensor is the farthest from either bridge.

I wonder if Wyze would consider switching it to a percentage like the wifi single on the cameras? It is sometimes difficult for me to really determine when the bars are “filled in” or if they’re empty. One time I thought I had a full signal, but after switching to another device, I’m pretty sure I had a very weak signal (all empty bars) instead.

I too am having problems with my contact sensor going offline. I swapped out the USB adapter and cable with no affect. The bridge is plugged into a pan cam, dunno if that matters or not. Also, a camera reboot always brings it back online and it seems removing and reinserting the battery on the sensor can also bring it back online as well as simply removing and adding the will too. I hope this is just a software problem and will be remedied soon. Also, the sensor is within 6’ of the bridge and it has full signal according to the app.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issues. I’ve restarted, deleted them a few times. They are not that far away. Not sure what to do anymore. How can I return these things back. Definitely buggy.

1 Like

Now I have sensors in one area that don’t say they are offline, but they are acting like it.

No contact sensor or motion sensor tied to that particular camera (wyze cam pan)/bridge is reporting motion or open doors.
I have tried rebooting the camera. I’ll see about unplugging the bridge.

Update: unplugging the bridge seems to have gotten things working again.
Update 24 hours later: no reports of motion or open doors for at least 12 hours.

My system appears to be broken.
Maybe its just the fault of the bridge, I don’t know.

My door sensor 10 feet away is offline. The back door sensor 25 feet away is online and working perfectly. The motion sensor which is 5 feet closer is offline and pulling out and reinstalling the USB bridge into the cam pan isn’t changing anything I’m unable to explain how to solve this issue.

1 Like

do you know if the sensor transmits to the hub its change of state or the hub polls the sensors every few minutes to see if it is still online? do the sensors use RF ?

“Wireless keyboards and mice use RF links at 27Mhz or 2.4Ghz. Cordless phones use 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and now 5.8Ghz. Key fobs, garage door openers, and some home automation systems use 315Mhz or 434Mhz.”

When I use the intercom loudly, ( whistling loudly into the phone.) while night vision is active and the IR LEDs are on I noticed that the blue light on the back of the bridge dims out and then goes offline blinking. Trying to reconnect. This is using the factory power supply and a 10’ power cable.

I’m going to get a power supply with 0.5 more amps output and see if there is any improvement. Any power supply is capable of pushing out it’s max rated output. But how much is drawn is dictated by the device.

I believe that with the sense bridge adding to the draw of power it may in fact be under powered at times. The cameras do get warm and I’m most certain that the heat will cause power management components to falter in some conditions.

But adding a psu that is over powered should not over heat the device. After all it should only draw what it needs. If there is any overhead the PSU should be self regulating based on the devices draw.

Although some Android phones will go bonkers if the PSU is under or over powered depending on the way the power input management system is built.

The Wyze Cam V2 comes with a 5v, 1,000ma
( 1 Amp ) power adapter. I will use a 5V 2,500ma ( 2.5 Amp ) adapter and do some stress testing with the intercom. As well as Sensor range testing.

If I break my camera in the process. At most I’ll pay for another camera and sense starter kit and stick with the 5V-1A PSU it comes with.

I’ll post my results after some time of testing.
Should take a week or two to have noteworthy results.

It doesn’t make “sense” though. If the wyze cam V2 USB socket can power another cam V2 in daisy chain. It should be able to handle the little bridge just fine.

Any thoughts on this guy’s?

2 Likes

It’s been discussed before here about the V2’s and Pan’s exhibiting degraded performance when operating on marginal power. But no one has quantified or tested it.
Look forward to your results.
Ask Wyze for funding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Bring us data - and thanks!

Steve

I was able to scrounge up a 5V-1,200ma
( 1.2A ) charger. I think I’ll stress the camera with night vision and IR-LEDs activated while whistling through the intercom loudly.

If 1.2A doesn’t fix it. I’ll go out and buy a 1.5A, 2.0A and a 2.5A charger and gradually step up the amps. I think 2.5A is pretty much the highest one can readily find.

I I will also monitor the camera’s temperature.
I know the sense bridge’s USB plug gets very hot. Almost too hot in my opinion. And I have 2 bridges in use and they both get hot.

No dice on the 5V-1.2A

It still knocks out the bridge.

But on the plus side. The bridge recovers a lot faster.

Seem like I might be on to the solution. :thinking:

1 Like