Wyze Sense + IFTTT stopped my car getting stolen this morning

@olobley thank you for the awesome trick!
Just a friendly reminder, I’m sure not only the good guys are reading this page, you might want to remove your post after awhile :wink:. Just saying.

1 Like

Actually, I’d say the opposite. If the ‘bad guys’ are reading this, great. I made a similar post on our neighborhood Nextdoor and Facebook pages, with links on where to get the cameras, and the instructions on how to set it up. The more vehicles that ‘call out’ for help silently, the greater the risk they take every time they venture into our community. I’m hoping that posting on here, the collective intelligence of Wyze will assist in improving the solution further :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello olobley,

what a great tutorial!! My major concern is about that the Wyze sensor is not an PIR sensor but a pixels comparator between one picture and the next one.
So you can also have false detections from the outside of your car than a Wyze cam per example if a car pass in the street by night spreading some light via your car windows and the sensor can catch the movement of the light and any shadows moving inside your car. It is the same system in both units.

To confirm my says, I did a test in a black room with a Wyze cam (with all IR system and led’s off) and Wyze move sensor; both sensors did not detect any movement in pitch black and because the Wyze move sensor do not catch infra red light or heat because it is not a real PIR detector like we have on our house for security lights but a pixels comparator. So yes it detect movements but needs external ligth to catch and send a motion detection cue.

1 Like

The tutorial is using the Wyze sense (which I believe to be PIR). I did fairly extensive testing dancing around the vehicle to ensure it didn’t trigger false positives (my neighbors already think I’m nuts, so this probably just cemented their thoughts :joy:). The only way I could get it to trigger outside was with a hairdryer in the window, but that’s probably in the ‘suspicious behavior’ category I’d want to know about

2 Likes

If ever you decide to do your dance test with hairdryer around your car, please send the video here for our pleasure Captured on Wyze - Wyze Forum :rofl:

2 Likes

Hello haniscra,
if you like IFTTT you will love sequematic.com and it is free!!!

With sequematic connected with IFTTT you can program sequences of action depending of a multitude of variables and conditions that you write in sequences. Per example, when I get home, and it is the night and no light are on inside the house then turn on garage light for 5 minutes and turn it off after.

Enjoy!

1 Like

The problem with this, another nightly alarm notifications is that they won’t come through if your phone is on do not disturb mode.

1 Like

Maybe try get a Alexa work on a old phone.

1 Like

This would be a great idea but it’s another app you need to use which my goal is to just have one app to rule them all.

1 Like

What everyone wants can be years away. All we have is bridges like Alexa and Iffft to make stuff happen. You don’t need to have Alexa or Iffft on your phone. Just need access to setup it up to email your phone.

This is why a kindle or a old phone would do the job.
I don’t want Alexa on the phone but will download it and delete it off if needed.
Also will slip in a folder where I have the unused app is in case I need it.

1 Like

I did something similar, I put the motion sensor in my van parked in my driveway and I also used the door sensors for my garage door and my front and back doors. I used ifttt to have alexa say either " garage door is open" or “back door is open” or “front door is open” or “someone is in your van” depending on which sensor was activated. I set it up so alexa would repeat the phrase 3 times to make sure it would wake me up.
Problem is it only worked the first two days after I set it up and now it does not.
I am in the process of troubleshooting.
I will also put a motion sensor on the side of my house which when triggered by someone walking up my driveway, into my back yard where my van is parked will turn on a 110 decibel siren for a period of time using one of my “smart life” wifi plugs.
Hopefully that would chase intruders away.
Great stuff as long as it works.
I did look into some kind of hub which would add a cost factor, but from what I’ve read hubs are not as reliable as they would have you believe.
Love to read about ideas others have implemented.

Just read this this morning and it could not be better timing. I am leaving for a road trip tomorrow and this showed me how to set up my alerts. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

If you are a big DIYer, then there is software out there where you can turn an old phone or tablet into a wifi hub for your devices.

1 Like

Necro’ing the thread again. Apparently once wasn’t a sufficient learning experience and they tried again this morning. Once again, I’m only out a window, and because we’ve had no false positives from Wyze, so when the IFTTT and Alexa triggers go, we know it’s all hands on deck. From asshat #1 jumping into the car to obscene language being shouted at him is under 30 seconds…he didn’t even have time to crack the steering lock or bust up the center console.
Still quite surprised I’ve not seen Wyze advertising this as a solution, given that one can get a sense kit from Home depot for under $50, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than…any auto alarm I can think of.

Video as promised - https://resources.bplondon.org/videos/od-20200407-0442.mp4 - sound is slightly out of sync, and apologies about the expletives my wife yelled at them!

3 Likes

you can set most cell phones up to allow exceptions i believe

Not with iPhones, you can only allow favorites to be an exception, and adding ITTT to my favorites is a terrible solution.