Wyze Sense FAQs are up!

I didn’t notice that. A motion sensor would def be easier to mount. You could probably stick it in the back and it wouldn’t risk getting bumped. I think I’ll try that first.

2 Likes

Also, keep in mind, most reed sensors are just a large magnet on the one side, so it is possible to use a different size/ shape magnet in many cases to fit your need!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone … Yes, my intent was to use the motion sensor rather than the contact sensors. As for the mailbox, it’s cast iron. I have pre-ordered. I figure it’s $20 to find out and if it doesn’t work, I’ll surely find ten ways to use it. Wish I didn’t have to wait two months, but it’s worth the wait. :blush:

2 Likes

Cast iron? Well, if you get it to work inside there I’ll be very surprised. I wish you much luck with that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, right? I’ll let you know how it goes once I get my Wyze Sense. :grimacing:

Can I use the motion sensor to alert me when a vehicle pulls into my driveway?

The motion sensor is PIR, so it may detect heat from a vehicle’s engine. But, remember the Wyze Sense devices are for indoor use only. Using it outside will void the warranty. I’m also pretty sure it won’t work through a window because it’s PIR.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Is there a way to toggle the Wyze Sense motion sensor off/on in the app?

Kind of depends on what you mean by on/off. In terms of power, the answer is no. They are full-time powered by internal battery.

In terms of functionality, you can disable notifications in the app and/or you can disable linked camera sensor videos. If you disable both, then the sensor is essentially OFF for all practical purposes. However, in this case, history is still recorded. If you don’t want this, you would need to unplug the bridge from the camera or unplug the camera. (The bridge stays operational even if the camera is in OFF mode.)

It would be nice to be able to automate the latter via Shortcuts. You can vote for that at the link below. Be sure to click the VOTE button at the top:

EDIT: According to the Sense support pages, sensor actions are supposed to be available now in Shortcuts, but that doesn’t appear to the case. I’ll report that to Wyze.

1 Like

just spray it with plasti dip :slight_smile: light spray on the contact side… works fine… cheap enough to just toss it when the battery dies :slight_smile:

I am, they are different slots.

Has anyone else had issues with the sensors not updating open and closed on the home screen? When I’m in the sensor itself it updates and shows a log as I open and close the door. But the home s teen always says closed.

@imwatchinyou One way to accomplish this is to use one of these gadgets as the actual vehicle detector. Mount the wireless receiver close to the camera and have the camera activate on sound events.

Some caveats - 1) don’t forget that the camera will be recording everything said within earshot, 2) like any infrared it will detect cats, birds, squirrels, etc just as quickly as it detects hot cars, 3) just like in the movie Predator, cold wet cars can and will easily slip through in the rain, and 4) take the advertised 400 ft range with a huge bag of salt. Walls, glass, insulation, bushes, posts, or anything will ~dramatically~ decrease the range of this particular gadget. But it usually works pretty reliably for a 50 ft suburban driveway.

I have never tried, but I do not think it will work well from inside a metal mailbox as a mail notifier. Unless maybe you cut a hole in the back of the mailbox and have the sensor looking into the mailbox.

Otherwise these units are quite weatherproof and the batteries last quite a long time. I am in no way affiliated with this product, and am just interested in finding interesting ways to amplify the all-weather abilities of Wyze cams. And my Wyse Sense kit is supposed to be waiting at my PO Box right now! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, but needs more investigation.

Yes one camera/sensor combo updating but the other is not.

I just tried my Sense kit and really like it so far. I’m not sure where I’m going to put them yet, so I deleted them from the app but noticed the motion sensor light kept going on as it senses movement, so I inserted the pin and it blinked an now doesn’t appear to sense movement. However, the contact sensors lights still go on when the magnet is pulled away. Can I shut them completely off too? Don’t want the batteries to go dead.

The only way to stop them is to take the batteries out.

1 Like

Yep! That’s what I do.