Wyze Sense and IFTTT

OH HAPPY DAY!

5 Likes

I use virtual switches in smartthings that are triggered via life360 or Wyze via ifttt. I found that virtual switches can be interacted with whereas virtual motions etc couldn’t. I haven’t tried making a ST switch interact with a speaker for a noise yet though. How’s that work for ya? Does Alexa work the same as ST when setting up virtual items?

What I want to do is set up the Wyze motion sensor to alert me via Audio across sonos or Google assistant when its triggered… I have one stationed outside the kids rooms so when the wife and I are in the pool or hot tub at night I want to know that the kids are up. I havent played with virtual switched much.

1 Like

@Omgitstony The virtual devices I was adding to Alexa were made in ST. The reason for trying a Virtual Motion or contact sensor is that Alexa is suppose to be able to automatically announce (do not have to ask alexa) when one of those two types of devices triggers. From what i read virtual switches won’t allow the auto announcement. I only tried playing with it briefly before getting Wyze Sense to see if I could get an announcement when an outdoor camera detected motion. I gave up when I realized this would be really annoying with all the false positives I use to get with the camera motion sensor. Now that I have the PIR motion sensor I’ve been getting very few false positives so I’m revisiting the idea.

@kjay Gotcha, thanks for the update. I don’t have any smart speakers yet and that’s good to know if we get any in the future (I’ll revisit after Mother’s Day, lil Birdy is chirping that day for some reason). I use the virtual switches for my action tiles ‘alarm panel’ so I can see how things are doing at home. Now with the added ifttt triggers, more of my Wyze ones work! :slight_smile:

I am hoping Wyze will add the ability to use the speaker in the cameras to announce motion and door open/close

@kjay try this device type for SmartThings. Its actuated as a switch but reports as a motion sensor. So IFTTT can trigger it and Alexa can use it to trigger Routines.

1 Like

How are you getting Wyze cams & Sense into action tiles? Can you show how you are getting them as SmartThings somehow? I don’t have a clue

I created a virtual switch in Smartthings for each device, and added each as a thing in action tiles. Then created an ifttt applet that either switches on or off the Smartthings switch (now also a action tiles thing or button) based on the Wyze triggers. Makes sense in my head, did the explanation get worded ok? Lol

1 Like

Great and thanks… I have the motion sensor turning and on/off lights in the entryway. Also a set of contacts on the garage door to notify and turn on/off garage lights… wish we can add delays to keep them on longer.
I need more sensors, please let us know when we can purchase. Hopefully sooner than later.

@prjct92eh2 thanks for the code! I’ll give it a shot.

Sorry but I am not sure how the virtual switch creates the Wyze sense as a thing. Is it through ifttt somehow?

Thanks for the update. Have my sensors installed and they have been working flawlessly. While cameras can trigger a video, a trigger from a sensor can create an earlier video depending on the set up. For instance, I use a back door sensor to record on my kitchen camera. I can give a few extra seconds before the camera would actually pick up motion. I like the setup and flexibility of it all and can’t wait for the IFTTT integration. Great job Wyze!

Im finding while I can trigger a lutron caseta switch with the motion sensor (and it works great) the timing is WAY too long… for instance by the time i walk by the sensor I am able to take 10 more steps (halfway across my house) before the light even turns on… with that kind of delay, its basically not usable. hope that can be fixed.

Awesome. Have a couple of things set up and working already. Love it!

We also desperately need a time function . IF time is between 10pm and 6am and IF motion is detected… What would be easier is to just find a way to integrate with smart things… I can do all that and more in webcore… Im telling you without hesitation that if you integrate with ST and others you will sell a TON more of these sensors given how much the ST sensors are in comparison. I would order at least 10 KITS just for my house alone…

Pretty much the norm for IFTTT.

Then we need direct integration with ST/Hubitat, etc… These sensors are too well priced, they would sell like crazy if they had that.

Completely agree that we need a time function. Would like to use as a occupancy sensor (both cam sensor and new motion sense). This would require a scheduling features … ie: make available at night, and a time interval without motion. Right now, turn on light OK (except for long delay), but if I use the clear feature it turns off way too soon. Would like to be able to set turn off after XXX time cleared.

Also, integration with Alexa will be needed. I have another brand of sensor and it turns on lights right away, can schedule and works with Alexa routines.

What is the official Wyze service name on IFTTT?

I tried to set up an Applet to notify me when Wyze adds a new trigger or action but it says “The service name was invalid or could not be found.”