Wyze Scale body fat percent way off

We just the got the scale and were excited to try it out but both my wife and I had very high body fat reading even in athlete mode, compared to several other devices we have used in the past. Anyone else experience this issue?

1 Like

We’re seeing this too, but only for my wife. While I’m a bit more athletic than she is, she’s certainly not as unfit as the scale would have us believe, which makes me question how accurate my info is. We both work out pretty regularly. I do a bit more cardio and have for a while (cycling), so I expected my numbers to be better, but my wife is the same height as me (maybe 1" shorter), weighs about 10 lbs less and is off-the-charts on the obesity side of the index.

On that subject, my “alternate” app (I’m not sure if I’m supposed to say the name due to the product I’m testing) has lovely color charts and graphs in the details of my weight. The “released” app, even recently updated, does not.

(I had to use the alternate app to add the scale, as my “prod” app didn’t even have the scale listed. I later noted an app update that had yet to be applied.)

@WyzeGwendolyn (hope you were the right person to ping)?

2 Likes

I’ve seen something similar, and it seems to be person specific as well. I have another scale that measures Body Fat, and for me Wyze scale measures my percentage to be about 75% higher than the other scale. For my wife, there’s virtually no difference between the two scales. The other scale is not expensive, and may not be accurate either, but the numbers seem consistent with our overall “body shape”. Neither of us have Athletic mode turned on.

It’s because it’s likely based on basic height /weight charts and those charts are based on the average person. The key words of course are “average person”. That’s really all anyone can get with just weight and entered stats like height without actually measuring things things with calipers or other instruments is a semi educated guess at best. The same goes for bone density and the other stats the Wyze app gives, they aren’t accurate unless you happen to fall into the perfectly average level for each of those things. There isn’t any way to take individual difference into account.

1 Like

Sorry, but the scale is supposed to be sending electric pulses through to actually measure this, not just guess. And there’s no way it guesses that my wife has 40+% body fat at her height and weight and given the amount she works out. That’s off-the-charts past obese and no one would look at her and ever ever think that… She’s usually the one getting the “are you eating enough?” questions…

1 Like

That isn’t an accurate way to measure body fat percentage either. There are too many variables for conductivity and it’s still just an average guess and a gimmick.
Here’s a link from Cedar-Sinai on the subject:

No one should have expected medical precision from a $20 scale. I expected better than this and hope there’s a way to address it.

Unfortunately, even the more expensive ones aren’t accurate from the medical articles I’ve read. They can even vary from day to day by a lot depending on what and how much you’ve drank, humidity, skin dryness or soaps and lotions, etc.

1 Like

I totally understand if it’s not 100% accurate but if it’s off by that much I can’t really use the scale for much. I would have to go back to my old one. I understand it’s not exactly but I would hope I could track changes over time. But if it starts off way off then I cant depend on it’s accuracy in general.

2 Likes

There are certainly more accurate methods of measuring body fat, but bioelectrical impedance is a valid and fairly well tested method to get moderately accurate measurements. The point of this question is not to debate the merits of impedance based body fat analysis, but rather to determine if there is an issue with the implementation of it on the Wyze scale.

On the 5+ scales I’ve used in the past year that use this method, the BF % measurements fall within about a 5% range. My wife’s measurement is within 1% of the reading on our previous scale, my measurement on the Wyze Scale is almost doubled when compared to other scales. There is clearly some physical variable that the Wyze scale is having issues measuring.filtering/calculating that is affecting my measurements.

2 Likes

The scale does a very accurate job of measuring your weight and tracking that over time. The other measurements are just estimates and tend to not be very accurate. And that’s true of a 400 or 20 dollar scale. Ask your doctor, they will smile and say those measurements are at best estimates and at worst they are useless.

But for its main purpose, a scale measures weight, it does a great job and nicely tracks your weight over time and can even track multiple people. It’s a bargain at $20 bucks even if thats all you use it for.

2 Likes

I already had a scale that was accurate enough. I bought this hoping the extra metrics would give my wife and I some insight into our workouts and how they might be affecting us. I’ve had it for 3 hours. I’m not “mad”, but trying to deterine (as others have posted) why it could be so far off for my wife. It makes me question whether my measurements are as “good” as they appear, too.

Exactly, that’s a very good way to describe it. I don’t mean to sound like I’m knocking Wyze in this case either. It’s the type of tech in general from any brand. Some will get results that are good and come close to matching what they’ve gotten from their doctors using other more accurate means, but that doesn’t mean it’s good tech, it just means they fall within good or average parameters that the scale estimates. Even the amount of electrolytes a person happens to have at the time make a big difference in the conductivity, or where the fat is located such as the legs and hips.
I’m not a doctor, but I’m heavily involved in medical organizations , particularly those dealing with bone health and I’m an ambassador for the National Osteoporosis foundation so I get lot’s of research on bone mass and density. When I see any device like the scale that claims to judge bone mass I cringe.

I get that it’s not a perfect reading, but i had a scale that could already read my weight accurately and was more accurate with the other measurements. I like wyze as a company and wanted to get their version, but if it stays this way off it just doesn’t make sense to use it instead.

There are so many variables that a system that uses electrical impedance and age height weight and sex statistics can only estimate. The documentation for any of these devices warns of that. But things like calloused feet, sweaty feet, humidity, barometric pressure body type, neuropathy issues, ambient temperature and on and on can affect the estimates.

Sure so if 2 products claim that but one is more accurate to what i’ve seen on more advanced devices, how do I justify sticking with the more inaccurate product?

My hope is that wyze can update the calculations to better reflect their readings. Else it’s not enjoyable to step on a scale and everytime see a number that makes you feel bad because its way off.

2 Likes

That’s a value judgement only you can make. You have to decide what’s important to you. For me, all I look at is the weight. According to my Doctor any measurements beyond that made outside of a clinical setting by a trained clinician are at very best good for amusement.

So I enjoy the scale for its primary function. Anything else honestly I don’t even pay attention to.

1 Like

Before I make that decision, I am hoping wyze has something to say about their calculations and any possible fix for the large discrepency.