Wyze robot vacuum - map editing & additional enhancements

@benfhall22 Have you tried going into the map editor, selecting the 2 rooms that are split incorrectly, merging them, then splitting that new big room and moving around the dotted line ends so it matches where the split should be? (you’ll need to rename the newly formed rooms again and if you had any schedules by rooms would need to redo those).

1 Like

Hi,

You can redefine where the room’s boundaries are by using the Map Editor in the update.

Select the room that you want to change and then split. You can then draw a line anywhere. When you finish, it will show up as a new room and then you can merge it with another room or rename it as its own. I wish I could show you step by step pics, but I did this last night to my house and now it’s the way that I wanted it. I had about 15 rooms and now down to 10 named the way that I want them. I hope that helps.

1 Like

No, I haven’t. Will do. Thanks!

I would agree with this. Part of the reason I got this vacuum was the ability to have digital keep out zones. This is critical for areas where I have cords, or other things that I don’t want run over.

But I’d like to be able to fine tune what it thinks a “room” is. My house is not the most open floor plan in the world, but it would be very nice to be able to draw a square that I want it to clean in and be able to just have it do that area on a schedule or a command.

For example, do a box around the kitchen table and then have it be able to just vacuum that area. It could do that in 10-12 minutes as opposed to the roughly 35-45 minutes it does right now as it has grouped my kitchen and living room as one large room.

2 Likes

Awesome!!! I just finally got fed up enough with the limited room options I had in my map to come find the wishlist to suggest they allowed some sort of smaller area selection like the opposite of a keep out area. This is awesome!!! Glad you pointed it out!!!

It worked! Now if they could just make it easier to snap those lines in the right place…They keep going wonky on me.

I agree internal walls are a pain. I have two sets of internal walls in the first floor of my home, and editing the map such that the rooms are recognized properly is actually very hard. I managed to “kludge” a solution however the app should be built to recognize that a lot of homes have internal walls.

4 Likes

I may have a few tips to help with your pain.

• close a door or create a barrier to simulate a break in a continuous room situation. This will help the mapping recognize the rooms better. Think of it like shutting a door to a jack and Jill bathroom. It will make map editing easier later on.
    -get the beta app and update to the latest firmware.
    The beta has a new quick map/remap option. Before mapping, you can produce a cleaner map if you first remove small objects, chairs, or objects that may or not be in that exact spot every time.
    After the remap, you can divide the large rooms easier using the map editor.
2 Likes

My room split will not finalize…can move the line but cannot ok and save…help

[Mod Edit] Personal information removed for security reasons.

Is there some message on top and the split line red? It should tell you why you can’t split. The ones I’ve seen are

• Room is too small
  • Split line must be entirely inside the room

You might need to adjust slightly to account for these, but in some cases with internal walls currently there is just no good way to split correctly.

1 Like

It does tell me that the split must be inside the room……and it is…I have tired multiple different configurations of the line. I must say I am fairly unhappy with this unit, it constantly gets stuck, can’t find home about 50 % of the time, makes rooms too big, forgets maps , on and on. It is very buggy
Thanks for the reply
Mike

Have you tried the “remap” option? How is this different from the old method of deleting the map and starting fresh?

I guess I will have to delete and start over. But the vacuum never makes it thru a full cycle without getting stuck or running out of battery. When I have to pick it up and return it to base it seems to forget the map it just attempted to create.
Mike

Hmm. do you mind sending a screenshot of the room splitting issue?
As for remapping, it should never require you to pick it up and return it to base. If it gets stuck (in my experience after ~30 runs i got it stuck 2 times under furniture that is just the right height for it to jam under) you should just get it unstuck and leave it generally in the same area to continue. does anything change for it to not be able to get back to base? any chance your base is against an interior wall (a wall where you can go all the way around it). I know that is an existing issue they currently have, putting it against an external wall seems to fix the not being able to find the base problem.

It could definitely use a bigger battery, but mine has managed to get itself unstuck a few times. I would try using nogo zones where you’re having issues getting stuck. They seem to work well for me.
Mine also seems to forget maps and starts creating new ones off the original. I’ve had to reset the vacuum a few times now.
Hopefully, they will keep scanning these forums and improve the software on a consistent basis.

In my case, it took 3 charges to map the house. However, it did it on it’s own-- it would map, run low on batteries, go back and charge itself, map again, and so on. During that process it needed a helping hand twice when it got stuck under two shelving units and all I had to do is move it out a bit and it got back to work,

The rooms were terribly defined afterwards, but the map editing feature allowed me to fix that. My only complaint it that map editing does not allow you to use the internal walls for the edit, so I had to make a couple of compromises.

I put in a few virtual walls for furniture and it has been working well afterwards, I usually have it do a room or two when my wife and I are out on the daily walks with our dog.

I was going to post my problems with subdividing rooms, but could not as it was cleaning. Now it has succumbed to the no internet connection malady. We’ll wait till tomorrow.
I could vacuum many rooms many times in fewer hours than I have spent on this time-saving device.

I found a good work around for trying to split internal walls. I used boxes to block off the opening between the rooms and now it was mapped accordingly. Can’t imagine this won’t be fixed on the near future, but this should help now.

1 Like

Same. Need to be able to snap divisions to interior walls not just edges. Open concept makes building specific target areas rather challenging.

My edit room wiped out my map. I guess it’s back to square 1