Wyze relay switch (not a smart plug)

A small device similar to the Wyze sensor but this one would be used for controlling anything. It would just be a simple relay that could be trigger in the app, in a shortcut, ifttt or through an event. It would have 3 different modes. On, off and a quick definable on off. By doing this you could control almost anything you want. Examples that come to mind are a garage door. A lamp. A fireplace. You could even replace light switches if you wanted although the physical switch would be removed unless the relay device also had a physical button on it as well that could be configured.

No not a power plug specifically. I want a simple relay. Where you would have 3 screw terminals common, NO, NC. Not everything I want to control is 110v and a standard plug.

4 Likes

Here is an example of something I built myself in a few hours costing about $40 in parts. With a smart plug I can not do that. Wyze could do it for cheaper and be cleaner. I also have a video of my garage door opener on the same channel that is similar in that you need just a relay not a plug.

2 Likes

So, a simplified version of this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Sonoff-4CH-Pro-Self-Locking-Compatible/dp/B072M4CRD9/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=smart+relay&qid=1556754511&s=gateway&sr=8-5

3 Likes

Yeah basically. I wouldn’t want them in a gang of 4 though. Single relays would be better. At most 2. I actually have a sonoff single relay I am not pleased with their interface or their size. Also being able trigger stuff based on other Wyze products would be nice. I do understand there are ways of accomplishing this. I can pretty much do whatever I want with particle devices but I want a polished solution that Wyze can provide.

4 Likes

It would be great to have a sensor that could be wired to external relay contacts. A thermostat for high or low temp notification. A float switch for flood notification. It would allow users to customize the input they want to monitor.

3 Likes

Most alarm systems use open/close contacts. Would be nice if the Wyze contact and motion sensors could some how also trigger a switch to open for the home alarm to be triggered.

2 Likes

SONOFF has a single switch also and is about $5. I’m going to try the sonoff one with IFTTT and Wyze, but it would definitely be nice if Wyze would make a similar device. Also, the sonoff one is only 10 amp. It would definitely be better to be at least 15 amps. 20 would be better.

3 Likes

Yeah I have a Sonoff but there are issues unless you want to take it apart and heavily physically mod it. I also found the Shelly 1 and Shelly 2.5 which are amazing but there are some small issues with them as well. Mainly with the Shelly 1 using mains voltage for the switch which means you need a switch that can handle the high voltage. This works for things like light switches but fails on anything else really. Mainly I want a cohesive experience in the app and Wyze has impressed me with their hardware so far. So even though there are existing solutions, I want to see them do it.

@archanegel I have found these
SHELLY 1 One Smart Relay Switch Wireless WiFi Home Automation iOS Android Application (2 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G33LNDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QNwdDb28WYQ43
and they work great. I also plan on buying some of their Shelly 2.5 I am still hoping that Wyze will build something better

1 Like

That’s not a bad piece of hardware. like you, I am hoping Wyze will build something better. I currently have smart bulbs, but I may replace them with Wyze…

The USB port is used by the Sense pack for input signals. It would be great if a small relay / switch could be activated via the camera. I imagine a button in the app could send an on/off or momentary signal. This wouldn’t need to handle mains power - just a couple of terminals to switch low-voltage DC.

My use case: I use my cameras to monitor pets at home. The two-way audio is great for interacting with them verbally, but I would like to be able to trigger a device to dispense treats, activate a laser-pointer toy, etc. This can be done with a combination of smart plugs and theWyze cams, it would be nice to be able to do it in the one app.

1 Like

It would be great if you had a simple IO device that could close a relay on a notification as well as on a button press in the app. This will allow all kinds of external devices to be easily added to the system.

For example, you could attach a loud attic siren that can be triggered with the relay when a door sensor is open

You could easily attach the relay to your existing garage door button. Then when you trigger the relay from the app, It effectively presses the button, opening and closing the garage door.

Of course an adjustable trigger time would be good. For most application you shouldn’t need the contact to stay closed more than a second. In fact milliseconds would work for most. So it shouldnt use much battery as long as the relay is only briefly closed then opened.

1 Like

Problem is how well do you spec it?
AC only or AC & DC
Current rating for AC & DC?
For something to be 10A AC it’s only about 2A DC
If you start getting to 20A+ AC then the size increases substantially, 10A DC even more so

The specs of the Shelly 1 seem pretty solid at 16A AC which is generally higher then most circuits in a US home at 15A. Shelly 1 is so small that it fits behind my wall switch in a single gang box. I personally don’t think the engineering is a problem for Wyze they have shown to be able to make high quality, low cost, physically compact products that people like. It really comes down to a question of demand. Most people don’t think in terms of controlling devices with relays. Heck, I bet 99% of the people don’t know what a relay is. Once you have to use a screw driver and mess with a wire. The product is limited to serious DIYers and there few of those. Wyze goes after market share and sadly even though I really want them to do it I don’t think they will any time soon.

1 Like

16A AC is fine for the majority of applications
My main concern is the lack of tech specs

If you use this relay as a comparison
Screenshot_20190703_200733
If you wanted to switch DC eg solar battery bank then that 16A turns to 300mA

Also depending on load type, voltage, frequency, etc the rating can be reduced

To me the Shelly 1 is marketed as only a 110/240V AC resistive load switch
As soon as you start switching DC or inductive loads I think it will fail quite quickly

I’ve had a few remotely switchable plugs fail where the contacts either weld closed or start generating excessive heat and that’s just because of using them for devices that have built in AC motors (inductive load), you can also see that rating in the spec above, 4000VA but only 550W inductive

AC1 - Non-inductive or slightly inductive loads, example: resistive furnaces, heaters
AC15 - Control of A.C. electromagnetic loads
DC1 - Non Inductive or slightly inductive loads, resistance furnaces, heaters

Yeah and my point is Wyze will only ever go after the majority of applications if they even make anything. If you are expecting more for Wyze I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Not saying it wouldn’t be nice just saying I don’t think the demand is their for Wyze to put resources into it.

1 Like

a contactor can increase the current/voltage capacity of a smart plug ( see photo of example )

a relay with 120 VAC coil can provide multiple NC , NO , DPDT , etc. connections

just add this to a device with a puny relay.

in order to control garage door openers.

Looking for a low voltage switch. Want to automate my garage door. I have an old doorbell switch connected to my garage door now so I can close the door by just reaching in pushing the button, activates the door to close. I want that to be a smart switch and now I have a smart garage door. Wyze have any plans for such a switch?