Wyze plugs KEEP going offline, with only fix being pulling it and replugging it in

Mine are the older v1 bulbs.

It’s odd to. Has to be a server side issue, or bulb not responding issue. I can see in my router the bulb is connected. But the app says it’s offline & nothing I do can get it become online again, except unscrewing it & waiting a few seconds & putting it back it.

Then it works fine for a while before going “offline” in the app again. I like controlling both bulbs separately. But I need the rules to work & them to stay online.

|

Matthew Evatt

Mar 29, 2022, 1:35 PM PDT

I had a chat with a Wyze customer support representative a couple days ago about this problem. I’m posting it here so you can see what they said.

(08:18:40 PM) *** Michael joined the chat ***
(08:18:48 PM) Michael: Hi, Matthew. Welcome to Wyze Support Team. I’m Michael! I hope you’re doing well today.
(08:18:56 PM) Matthew Evatt: Hello, I am contacting you about problems with Wyze Plug connectivity issues. There is a rather long thread concerning this issue on your support forums, but no one there seems to have heard anything from Wyze. Here is the thread: https://forums.wyze.com/t/wyze-plugs-keep-going-offline-with-only-fix-being-pulling-it-and-replugging-it-in/207978

It would be very good if you could address this issue on that thread.
(08:20:50 PM) Michael: We appreciate you for letting us know about your plug not connecting flawlessly. I really apologize though for the inconvenience this has caused you. No worries though, I’ll do my best to help you sort things out.
(08:21:04 PM) Michael: May I ask if how many plugs are having the same issue?
(08:21:18 PM) Matthew Evatt: I have two plugs that are having the same issue.
(08:22:36 PM) Matthew Evatt: I would like to emphasize that it would be good for Wyze to address this issue more widely, for example by posting updates to that thread I pointed out.
(08:23:43 PM) Michael: I truly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. I will surely bring this up to our management team so the can somehow do something about this.
(08:24:10 PM) Michael: Just to clarify, when you say connectivity issue, do you mean it won’t connect in the app?
(08:25:20 PM) Michael: I can also see from here that your app version is not updated.
(08:25:36 PM) Matthew Evatt: What happens is a plug will be working correctly, and it will be shown as online in the app. Its schedule will be working as programmed. Then, suddenly I will open the app and it will say the plug is offline.
(08:25:37 PM) Michael: Please make sure to download the latest version to avoid such complications.
(08:27:53 PM) Matthew Evatt: At that point, I have to remove the plug from the app, unplug the plug from the wall outlet (or sometimes press and hold the button on the plug until the pairing light flashes continuously), then add the plug back in to the app. After that, it works, sometimes for many days, or only for hours.
(08:28:10 PM) Matthew Evatt: What is the newest version of the App? It hasn’t told me to update it recently.
(08:28:28 PM) Matthew Evatt: I have V2.28.1 (109)
(08:28:29 PM) Michael: 2.29.1.116 (March 28, 2022)
(08:28:38 PM) Michael: That is the latest version of the app.
(08:29:24 PM) Matthew Evatt: OK, I will update the app.
(08:30:28 PM) Matthew Evatt: Can you explain what the problem has been with these plugs?
(08:31:21 PM) Michael: Okay.
(08:31:45 PM) Michael: There hasn’t been any issues at all. That might be a connectivity issue.
(08:32:07 PM) Matthew Evatt: Really?
(08:32:32 PM) Matthew Evatt: That’s not what those 180 messages in that support thread seem to indicate.
(08:32:46 PM) Michael: Well we had issues with Wyze Plug before but it has been fixed through an app and firmware update.
(08:34:02 PM) Matthew Evatt: You have issued at least one failed firmware update for Wyze plug. I don’t think a firmware update fixed the problem.
(08:35:03 PM) Matthew Evatt: Either way, please do speak to your management about addressing the forum for this issue. There are a lot of frustrated people on there who feel like Wyze is letting them down by not communicating with them or addressing this problem in a satisfactory way.
(08:35:12 PM) Matthew Evatt: Thanks for your time.

|

3 Likes

Wonderful conversation, lol. fyi, I’m on 229.1.116 and it doesn’t fix the problem as far as I can tell. It was only updated a day ago, according to the phone.
Beyond that, what in heaven’s name would the app do that could cause the plugs to malfunction and why would one malfunction 1500 miles away from my phone, lol.

That says it all…

Bravo Matthew! Hopefully that’ll light a fire under someone’s behind

How did this suddenly morph to include bulbs? This was a thread about plugs…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE - Wyze Cam flaw lets hackers remotely access your saved videos

I’m jealous power cycling works for you. It never does with any of my four. I’ve tried unplugging for a minute, several hours, over night… and still end up having to just reinstall the plug on the app.

For me, it’s roughly a 50/50 proposition. Half of the time I have to re-add the blinker to the app. The other half of the time a power cycle does it. This problem is very odd and bothersome. I can have a plug stay online for several days, then suddenly it will go offline every other day.

2 Likes

I got the same problem. I recently bought Wyze outdoor plugs so that i don’t have to install another app. They went offline after a few hours, power cycling works but that’s not what I expected to do for smarts plug.
I don’t know why Wyze can’t do a temporary firmware fix like: every a few minute, check if the connection is lost, then reconnect/restart the connection? I guess I should pick the Kasa instead, the reviews are much better.

I use the latest firmware and ios app btw.

I think I found the solution. One of the frequent blinkers has been good for about 10 days now. I have an on and off rule on it. And…, there’s nothing plugged into it, lol. :laughing:

Really, it’s too random and the time intervals can vary a lot, as you point out. I think I have around the same 50/50 re-add as well. The same one may just need power cycle one time and a re-add the next.

Bothersome is a good word.

1 Like

Same issue here with my 4 plugs. Things seemed to be getting better for the month of March so I purchased another 2 plus some bulbs(work great) and V3 Cam(first one was a dud, replacement is great)

Today I come of home and 3 of the 4 were showing the famous “no clouds aloud”/disconnected sign. Once again have to delete them and re-add them. This is a pain as it sometime throws off my Alexa groups and I have to re add them there too. The only difference in the one working is that it had nothing plugged in.

I’ve done every troubleshooting step ever suggested plus even trying a new router and extender.

Really hope Wyze can fix this because I absolutely love their products. They are about the only “newsletter” emails I let come through my spam filter because I’m excited to see their products. Hopfully with the new Time Magazine award they will get some extra funding to help thier growing pains🙂

Log 524982

my outdoor plugs just died again a few hours after power cycling. i’m giving up! they go back to Amazon and I will get the Kasa. Seems no one from Wyze monitors this thread?

Same issue just different device. This just shows it’s not a issue with the networks or even the devices most likely. But problem server side, where communication just stops.

1 Like

@WyzeBaohua, I wouldn’t normally put you on the spot, but it has been awhile – I privately contacted you about this at the end of Feb – what is the status of this issue. Is there a better person to contact?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcUFvbcWCw

I wanted to report back about my rule I put in to turn the plug ON daily.
I only had the one plug active, and it finally started blinking on 4/1/2022, so it made it about 10 days.
I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but it went to the fast blinking. I deleted it from the app.
If this had worked, it might have been a decent workaround, but it failed for me.
Would it last longer sending the ON command via a rule twice a day (or hourly) I don’t know.
Good luck everyone, I have unplugged all 3 that came in the 4 pack (one has never been plugged in).
I put a link to these two big threads in the “Fix it Friday” thread, hopefully they can get around to fixing it one day.

1 Like

It’s frustrating.

An interesting point (coincidence?) to note. They seem to be more stable since my connection was repaired. Comcast, on the third trip in 6 months, sent an actual employee, vs a contractor, who hooked up an analyzer to all lines. The modem/router was losing upstream and would periodically do a full reboot if it had more than x problems connecting. Turns out a bad cable to the DVR was creating enough noise to throw off the router. Since that was repaired, I haven’t had a blinker.
As we’ve all noted, two weeks is still in the time frame where we’ve had issues, so it may be coincidence. But I suppose it could be an inconsistent response if WiFi drops out. Who knows?

+1 for me. Bought my first two indoor plugs last week. First venture into the “smart” plug area. They both constantly go offline and into the “fast blue flash” Only thing I can do is unplug/replug. Kind of frustrating, and sad to see this has been going on for so long. Same solution proposed by support as everyone else. Factory reset, and re-add to my account… Doesn’t help.

Hi everyone I have the same problem with the wyze smart plugs the 2021 models and for some reason the 2 that went offline last nite are the closest to the modem. yesterday the one the 50’ away went off line. but it was a unplug and plug back in and it worked. These other 2 had to be reset and rebooted from scratch. Why can’t wyze fix these so they look constantly for a good wifi signal

Something interesting. I was sitting next to a lamp that I’m using for a test of the failing plugs. It has a routine to turn on around 10 minutes after sunset. About an hour before sunset, the lamp flashed on and off, the plug started blinking blue and it reconnected shortly after. It was this lamp only, not the power to the house.
It was odd but it’s been working fine since. Haven’t a clue if it is related to the problem.