Wyze Outlet, not Wyze Plug

I would like to put time limits on my sons TV/Computer/Gaming time. The Wyze Plug is a great start, but I would love to see an actual wired outlet, that you put in the wall. This would prevent the simple work around of unplugging the Plug, so to speak.

There are competitor products but I know Wyze can do it better . :slight_smile:

It hasn’t become an issue yet but I’m thinking ahead of when he becomes a teenager :wink:

This is a unique enough request that I approved it as is, but there are even better ways to accomplish what you are wanting to do. This is done by specifically creating a schedule on your router for the MAC addresses associated with your son’s devices. That way they can’t run an extension cord from another room where the outlet has no schedule. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a valid point and something I had considered.

When I wrote this, I was actually thinking about the Xfinity TV box which runs on their moca network. To my knowledge, I can’t lock it out through the router. He likes to watch YouTube on it.

We all love the Wyze Plugs, but I would love to see a true long-term hard-wired 15A-rated Wyze plug that replaces the standard outlet installed in the wall to avoid having a permanent wall wart.

That is good advice. And, use a password on the router’s Admin functions so the young You Tube enthusiast does not defeat the router settings. If I were still a teen. I would try that!

1 Like

I would like to see an outlet replacement instead of a plug. You could add USB ports into it and it wouldn’t stick out from the wall like the plug.

1 Like

I wasn’t seeing much traction on this so I haven’t responded back to it in a while. I’m interested in this for multiple reasons. jdmann28 pointed out one of them. Maybe it’s my OCD but I’m not a huge fan of having boxes on the outside of my walls.

The fact this has been tagged as “researching” is a good sign Wyze is looking into this. :slight_smile:

Yes yes and yes again. Outlets are so much better than plugs. I went with a separate brand just to get outlets because I don’t want plugs

Remember - Outlets require wiring. Some places require a permit or a permit AND an electrician for ANY 120V or above wiring.
I don’t know of any place that requires such to put a plug in an existing outlet.

That’s true enough but I can go down to the the local big box hardware store today and buy a competitor product. I know it CAN be done, just hoping it WILL be done :smiley:

It would be nice to have an in wall power outlet so a smart plug type device is flush to the wall. I have not seen those on the market or mentioned on the wishlist.

1 Like