Wyze Outdoor Plug will not connect to WiFi

I had the same problem with the Wyze Plug Outdoor appearing to fail to connect to the wifi. What finally worked was trying to set it up through a different device (a 2018 iPad), whereupon the setup completed successfully. I even tried multiple times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, and it worked flawlessly.

Before this, I had tried connecting through two different Android phones (2013 & 2017 vintage), returned my original plug for another, disabled this and that on the phones, messed with my router, all sorts of things. Eventually it dawned on me that even though the setup screen seemed to be indicating that the plug was attempting to connect to the wifi, in reality it was still in the process of trying to connect to my device through Bluetooth (which is why that screen says to keep your phone nearby). As it seemed to be some sort of Bluetooth compatibility issue, I tried the third device (the most modern one I have) and it worked like a charm.

So my suggestion would be to try to set up the plug through as many of the devices you have access to, and hopefully one of them is compatible. Perhaps it’s a matter of supporting the Bluetooth 5 specification (IIRC it came out early 2017, so my 2017 phone probably doesn’t have it, while the 2018 iPad does). It could also be an iOS vs Android issue. I can only speculate.

Thank You for the response. I already had this connected when it dropped out of connection within 48-72 hours of the initial set up. I think at this point I am going to delete it from my Wyze app and see what happens, since I have attempted to connect it again at various times over the last weeks while it has been literally plugged in adjacent to my router. I may attempt to connect it via my newest Tablet, which is slightly newer than my Pixel 3XL. If I am successful, I will advise. Thank you again.

“No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” - Capt. Bill McDonald (1852-1918)- Texas Ranger

I run into the problem of configuring the WYZE plug model WLPP1. I think the problem related to the latest firmware or app update. It was working for a little a year since I bought it. I don’t recall the WYZE app or firmware updated now I can not add it to the device list. When I tried to add a new device it was able to take me all the way to connect to the device wireless. After the connection was successful and next screen was waiting to complete the setup. It ran for a while and return with connection failure. I have tried many many times but still could not get it to connect. Is it be a device failure or firmware issue? The plug is still working with manual turn on/off from the device switch but I can not use the wireless function anymore. It is over a year so it is out of warranty. Let me know if you have any suggestions to fix this?

FOUND THIS WHICH WORKED FOR ME

Problem

Wyze Plug Outdoor fails to complete the set up process. The connection times out.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Check that your phone / tablet is connected to a 2.4GHz WiFi network.
  2. Wyze devices do not support 5GHz WiFi connections.
  3. Make sure your Bluetooth is turned on during set up.
  4. Reset the outdoor plug if it continues to fail.
  5. Long-press one of the power buttons for 5 seconds. Then, retry the setup process in the Wyze app.

Very Funny!

Wasn’t meant to be. Maybe everyone else already knew about this but I spend hours trying to find a solution.

Nowhere before have I found instructions on how to reset the outdoor plug …

This has been a nightmare. I have many wyze products and they all work well together. Not the case with the new Wyze Outdoor plug. My outdoor plugs won’t work in the location I bought them for. I use a host Wi Fi extender in an outdoor location. My Wyze Cameras and indoor Wyze plugs work well on this extender and fully communicate with the house Wi Fi system. The new Wyze plugs will connect inside the house but refuse to connect to the outdoor extender while all of my other products do. WHY IS THIS??? Wyze replaced both outdoor plugs with identical units that acted exactly the same and do not connect. Since then I have been getting the run around for weeks and the same questions asked of me repeatedly. Their fix is simply to “return the units for a refund.”! I do not consider that fixing the problem. They claim that my problem is the only one of its type reported. I see by the chat rooms that others are experiencing the same issues. Refunding my money is simply an easy way out of fixing the problem. Up until now I have loved all of my Wyze products. This new Outdoor Plug is problematic and I do not recommend buying it. Weeks later I still have no answers.

The blue light keeps flashing quickly. Even after resetting it still flashes and never stays lit.

Hi @mrschine and welcoe to the Community Forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Using a host Wi Fi extender in an outdoor location.
  2. Wyze Cam & indoor Wyze plugs work on extender, communicate w/house Wi Fi system
  3. Wyze plugs connect inside house but not on outdoor extender; other products do.

Bottom line is the outlet won’t work on the extender but other Wyze products will.
a) Have you tried shutting down the 5GHz WiFi (extender and in-house) and disable Mobile data on your phone for set-up?
b) Assure the phone is connected to same WiFi 2.4GHz of extender when setting up the outlet.
c) Please post the APP version, F/W of the outlet, Wyze service request number, log file numbers.
Hope this helps.

For the last month or two I haven’t had the time or energy to deal with this.

Since my last attempt, I have returned to using my walmart (Geeni) branded outside plug for the continuous use on my back porch, which I had hoped to relegate to my Yard sale box so I could use a single app for all of my smart needs. I have also installed new Cat 8 wiring as well as a new Wifi 6 modem/router, which has seemed to help my cameras and other items tremendously. everything re-connected fantastically just as I had hoped, with one recalcitrant hold out…, my Wyze outdoor continues to flash in disconnected bliss, not 3 feet from the new wifi Unit to which no other device has had any issue connecting.

I have resolved that, despite my trepidations to do so, I will delete this plug from my Wyze App and attempt to re-install it again. I have had and read of others having horror stories with deleting units of various types and manufacturer and never being able to discover them again, which has been most of my hesitation.

Hopefully I will endeavor to complete this task within the next few days. There are times the effort isn’t worth the frustration.

“No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” - Capt. Bill McDonald (1852-1918)- Texas Ranger

| dr.know Forum Maven
May 14 |

• | - |

Hi @mrschine and welcoe to the Community Forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Using a host Wi Fi extender in an outdoor location.
  2. Wyze Cam & indoor Wyze plugs work on extender, communicate w/house Wi Fi system
  3. Wyze plugs connect inside house but not on outdoor extender; other products do.

Bottom line is the outlet won’t work on the extender but other Wyze products will.
a) Have you tried shutting down the 5GHz WiFi (extender and in-house) and disable Mobile data on your phone for set-up?
b) Assure the phone is connected to same WiFi 2.4GHz of extender when setting up the outlet.
c) Please post the APP version, F/W of the outlet, Wyze service request number, log file numbers.
Hope this helps.

Have done all this and more. The outdoor plugs have connection problems. I am getting no answers from Wyze. Just the same quick fixes you are suggesting. They don’t work. You have software issues that no one seems to know how to fix. They just keep offering my money back. Unacceptable.

i had the same issue. they replace it with a new one. worked fine after that.

Same trouble. Two outdoor plugs. Lost connections weeks after initial setup and using them. Neither one would reconnect, They just time out during setup.

Wyze replaced one, but I have been jumping through hoops about the second one with their tech support for 8 days now. Sending them wifi logs, doing this and doing that. Just not worth the $17.00 that a new plug costs.

If anyone has success in reconnecting this device, please let me know. I just threw one of their indoor plugs outside. It’s under my front porch cover. I’ve got no more !"cks to give.

1 Like

Multiple problems were caused by the premature release of the buggy new application. Not much is being done to correct the problems. I suggest not releasing new versions before extensive testing it done first. Now fix the new version

I got my wyze plugs working again all by myself after not receiving any help from tec. Support. Thanks to the problematic application update the plugs will no longer connect unless you give the program total access to your location all of the time. This in itself is s huge invasion of privacy. My former setting of only showing my location while the program is in use causes connection problems. The mew application even sunsetted my older Apple devices I still used on the application. Meanwhile they are ignoring months of problems with the new outdoor plugs. GREAT JOB WYZE! What next? I am seriously disappointed.

1 Like

After multiple attempts, I was able to complete setup of “Wyze Plug” by using the “Wyze Plug 2021” option. I can only assume some Plugs are Mislabeled.

Hopefully my experience can help others. Purchased my plug last year and planned to use them for this Christmas season. Generally had a good experience with all my other Wyze products (well, except watch…but what can you expect at that price point). Anyways…yeah was pretty frustrating that I couldn’t get the plug to work and pretty pissed. Some advice in this forum helped me. I think my issue was a combination of needing to reset my router & messing with the 2.4Ghz issue. I’ve never had to do it before, not sure if the chips in the plugs are different than the cameras, locks etc…but now they work consistently.

Also I used my ipad to set them up, instead of my android phone…but the ipad had issues at first too…it wasn’t till I played w/ the router settings that they magically connected.

I just realized I never advised how I solved my issue with my outdoor plug.

I had a previous experience with deleting a product which then became nearly impossible to re-add it, so I was not eager to delete the Outdoor plug. So I simply re-added it, expecting to see the same plug on the dashboard twice and deleting the non-working one. Imagine my surprise when the original plug simply started to respond as if it had always been working.

Received 2 outdoor plugs and cannot get either to connect. I have 2 other brands that I had no issues with. These are going back. Disappointed.