Wyze outdoor camera set up is CRAP

I wouldn’t do it via email. Slow and clumsy. I’d call them.

1 Like

Wyze snail mail…I will be having a shoot out with Wyze Cam Outdoor vs Ring Spotlight with Solar on both. Using Ring for 8yrs(when they started selling). So now we have Wyze…at this time these guys are All over the map with products…ToysRUs.

Sounds like you might have a bad camera,we currently have 4 sets of these and we are going on the 2nd year and no issues, you need to open a service request with wyze

Just base station. WOC seem fine but can’t tell until base station is added to app.

The base station must be added first, then you can add up 2 4 cameras

1 Like

FYI: that is enforced by the app. If you try and install an WOC THE APP TELLS YOU that the base bastion is required first.

No VPN. No Cellular. No kidding. :slight_smile:

Having the exact same issue right now, I cannot complete base station set up. SO FRUSTRATING!

And‽???

I’m going to call WYZE tomorrow. I tried too many options.

I was able to confirm the following:

1. Confine test to 2.4 GHZ, Setup fails for both home SSID and Wyze_bind_macaddr (192.168.200.x)
  2. Confine test to 5 GHz, Setup fails for both home SSID and Wyze_bind_macaddr
  3. Confirm in all cases ip network is the same. And UP. Host (Example Host 1 (iPhone or iPad) 192.168.2.10, host 2 (Wyze) 192.168.2.11, host 3 (MacBook) 192.168.2.13 [for running constant ping to host 1 and host 2]. Setup fails
  4. Turned off private address on both iPhone and iPad (which uses a pseudo MAC address when connecting to WiFi). Setup fails for both home SSID and Wyze_bind_macaddr

Im not sure what else I could try but a wasted a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this. But I’m open to finding out i’m an idiot. :slight_smile:

Well we just set up another hub,no issues,so it’s on your end,also you can only use 2.4ghz system,I would re boot your system, the hub has its on Mac address

I would make sure 2 things: 1. stupid as it sounds and others have posted, this camera only wants 2.4 ghz networking, not 5ghz…dont panic, mine uses very little bandwidth. If you have both networks named the same, im betting your phone is on 5 ghz and trying to push the 5 ghz network to the device. Try separating the two as a test and see if that makes a difference. I do agree, these things are a bit clunky for a security camera, but its a 35 dollar camera. I guess I can’t be too picky.

1. Check wyze app permissions. I think to setup (android), the app required location permissions. Make sure this is on in your app then try again. I know mine was picky about this.

2. If all else fails, I believe pressing the setup button for x seconds resets the camera entirely. Try a reset. See if that helps.

I had the same issue. The base station was connected to 2.4 network and my iPhone to 5.0 so they wouldn’t see each other during setup. Xfinity gateway is locked down so I couldn’t separate the networks. I used an old iPad to do the setup so they’d both be on 2.4 and it worked.

What is the version of the Wyze app on your iPad?

Wyze application Version 2.17.21 running on iPad Air 2 with iOS 14.4.

1 Like

I’m wondering if your older app gave you the success.

Just called support. They answered very quickly.

Hey Michael,

This is Y. reaching out to you from Wyze. I’m sorry we weren’t able to resolve the issue of your base station not being able to be set up at the moment, but as mentioned our engineers are working to get this resolved as soon as possible. To help us track this trend please respond to this email with your SD card log.

Thank you for your patience!

Y. Wyze Wizard

PS: Does anyone know how to read these binary files? They say .txt but all I see is:

çg)mljl):83:'H|n));)8<3;;39<)Fylg^{})bl{g'gof)bl{gle3)R))))8’:19999T)O{llgn)|g|zlm)bl{gle)dldf{p3);;=b)o{llmH|n));)8<3;;39<)Fylg^{})bl{g'mlk|n)bl{gle3)R)))):';09999T)[lnz}l{lm)elm)mljl3)hy8=>3n{llg3z}h}|zH|n));)8<3;;39<)Fylg^{})bl{g'~h{g)bl{gle3)R)))):';09999T)elmz$nyf3)y{fkl)fo)elmz$nyf)ohelm)~}a)l{{f{)$8?H|n));)8<3;;39<)Fylg^{})bl{g'gf}jl)bl{

Yet another user here completely unable to set up the base station:

1. Connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi.
  2. Plug in base station with included CAT6 cable, light turns solid blue.
  3. “Can’t find Base Station.” Click “Set up with QR code instead”.
  4. Connect to “wyze_bind_xxxxxxxxxxxx”.
  5. Turn off Cellular Data.
  6. Return to Wyze app and “Please wait” appears.
  7. Wait forever (2 minutes feels like an eternity).
  8. “Please wait” disappears, but the setup doesn’t progress.

At this point I can cancel, go back, or “Go to Wi-Fi selection”. None of Wyze’s troubleshooting is helpful in the slightest.

I’m on iOS version 2.22.32. Dunno what was involved in the big 2.22 upgrade, but I wonder if it’s not compatible with older base station firmware.

Which you would expect from a base station that was manufactured months ago and has been sitting on a store shelf. Maybe that’s why some people are able to setup after leaving the base station plugged in overnight: does the base station upgrade its firmware automatically?

Wow how weird I just had our service technicians set up 2 base hubs,and 8 cameras with no issues

The base will tell you there is a new version available but you have to tell it to upgrade. But since you can’t connect you can upgrade the firmware with this procedure. I am using the iOS app 2.22.32 and my base works just fine. The base has the latest firmware 4.16.2.12 also .

All of our base has have 4.16.2.16