Wyze outdoor camera hub interfereing with wifi extender signal

I had to put a WIFI extender in my garage to provide wifi to the wyze lock and the wyze doorbell.
I wanted a wyze out door camera 4 port hub to be in the garage also because of four camera’s on that end of the house. The Wyze camera hub was connected to my router via a pair of power line ethernet adapters.
When I powered on the Camera hub, it would kill the wifi signal to the lock and doorbell. Took me awhile to notice this but I could repeat it easily.
Solution. I installed a netgear ORBI wifi mesh system with the satellite in the garage. SInce the signal between the two orbi units did not interfere and I eliminated the wifi extender everything now works as it should…

2 Likes

One of the things that WiFi extenders do very well is substantially increase the RF pollution in your immediate area - and worse, on the channel you are using. Mesh systems often use a different frequency or better y6et, a different band for linking between the devices. I am not specifically familiar with the ORBI mesh system, but my speculation is that it linked out to the garage on 5 GHz.

1 Like

yes the system uses the 5ghz band between nodes so that solved my problem…

2 Likes

New tech. Good idea. Was probably a good investment and prevent other problems later. Again, good idea.

1 Like

I love it when people come here simply with solutions. especially when people weren’t seeking them directly. no doubt my fellow mavens and I will refence this post quite a bit in the future.