Wyze outdoor cam battery life

Well , it was 86 here yesterday the only different setting maybe is, I don’t have person detection turned on, I don’t have a card in the base or the camera

The camera is about 20ft from the base and has to pass thru drywall/ cinder block wall.

Just so you know even if you are only having it notify on person detection it still has to record motion and upload it to see if there is a person so there may be events you are not being notified about.

What are you doing that I’m not doing :joy: I charged mine yesterday evening around 8 and now its down to 74% I can’t even get recordings or anything to work. :woman_shrugging:

After two days use, it seems that 1% of power will get you about 20 video clips if you don’t check the video clips. However, if you do view your video clips each time, 1% of power will get you about 10-13 video clips.

I can see this new WCO use 3-5% each day. That means that I will have to recharge my WCO in20-30 days. For the WCO to last 90 days without a charge, you would have to put that camera in your attic or backyard. This is why I cannot give up my Arlo 2 Pro because I have solar panels to recharge my Arlo cams.

I have found that the first 5-10% of the battery depletes faster before noticibly slowing down.

2 Likes

True, most of my lithium battery products have that same trait.
If only they had used dilithium batteries…

1 Like

Viewing your video clips doesn’t use battery on the camera , they are already stored on the cloud when the event occured,

2 Likes

What is the solar panels you use?

@2guzzis - Arlo Certified Accessory - Solar Panel | Compatible with Pro, Pro 2 | (VMA4600)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721PJYTY/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_pd_te_o_mr_ti/134-9306091-3529630?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0721PJYTY&pd_rd_r=Y34S1QJSFA7ESFE03V45&pd_rd_w=BJLRg&pd_rd_wg=RqTfN&pldnSite=1

Thank You!

Ask Scotty to steal some from the warp drive. Then retrofit.

I think there should be an external battery back to extend the time between charging.

In Denver my WCO is using 3% of the battery capacity daily while recording about 50 HD clips daily over the past 48 hours. It is mounted on top of a No Parking sign and is in the shade until about 3pm and then it gets full sun until sunset, if we don’t have too many clouds, 90 degrees being our average daytime high this week. Given lighting nearby in a carport and next to front doors in our condo building, the quality of nighttime recordings is significantly better then that achieved with a V2 indoors and pointed out of front window. I think the area is well enough lit that night vision isn’t necessary and probably doesn’t kick on because the event clips are all in color though the color is subdued somewhat.

At 4 days usage 15% consumed while recording 200 event Clips over 4 days. I probably also messed with user settings or live view for about 1 hour during 4 days.

1 Like

Color recordings at night are a good thing , you can see the color of a car , Color of people’s clothing , if something goes down You can at least give some kind of good description , not really possible in black and white

I activated my outdoor cam 5 days ago with a 100 percent charged battery. Now, 5 days later its down to 85 percent. It has two activations average per day. At this rate in 34 days the battery will be dead.
Not so good.

Concrete block / masonry will attenuate the signal. I have the same problem at my house. CMU walls in the basement. Brick exterior and brick inside the main level. Lots of CMU and brick. Had to strategically place a wifi mesh setup to get quality signal throughout my home (2 levels). If the signal strength to the cam is not ideal, it is likely boosting transmission power to compensate, and thus draining battery faster.

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning that during testing my WCOs seemed to drain faster during the first and second discharge cycles, but then seemed to improve after subsequent charges. Some of that I’m sure is due to the initial setup and using Live View extensively to position/mount the camera, then playing with settings during the first few weeks. Live view will kill your cam’s battery in less than 24 hours if you leave it on (yes, I left my iPad streaming live view from my WCO accidentally :slight_smile: ), so your usage will have the most impact on battery life.

I’m not saying there’s no issue with battery life, but the first discharge cycle was always very short for my WCOs.

1 Like

Installed my WCO last Sunday early evening in front of my house. Initial setup drained 2%. It’s Thursday and I pretty much just let the camera record without looking at it live or adjusting any settings and the battery is at 81%. So mine is using about 4.25 % per day, so we’ll see where it will be after a week. My guess is I will have to take mine down to recharge in about 15-20 days which is why I cannot replace my Arlos with Wyze.

I set up my camera with video quality “AUTO” and found out after 24 hours the battery dropped from 98% to 19%. Which mode do you think can extend the battery life. Does any one have the same issues, maybe just me. I really like the outdoor camera but am trying to se if after charging it can last a week before recharging it. Thanks

1 Like