Wyze outdoor cam battery life

Thanks

The woc is a Weak product, as it stands this is pretty useless and not living up to the standards they claimed!
Right now i’m at 16% battery after only about a week, and maybe one alert per day. Just dropped from HD to 360p see what kind of difference that makes. I do not want to be charging the battery weekly, particularly this cam is in front of house in nyc, don’t want ppl to see me taking down cam from it’s slightly hidden spot on regular basis, so they could take it etc…
I have 2 other woc on order, and am currently in the process of trying to cancel that order. Was better off with indoor cams pointed out windows even though couldn’t take advantage of ir because of glass. even with this limitation worked decent enough, at least could view live vid as many times as wanted to. Now have a half baked paper weight.

When fully charged, the red light should be solid.

Agree. I took mine down waiting for support to issue a return label for a full refund. I also have V2s pointed out the windows, works fine for the day, but at night time, it’s iffy,but it beats having to always recharge the cam. For now, sticking with my Arlos that are being recharged by solar.

2 Likes

I setup my WCO on 8/8/20 and have not yet needed to charge the battery (other than the initial full charge before setting it up). As of right now, the battery is at 64% with recording on average 8 events per day as well as many live streams while I continue to get the motion detection settings proper for what I want.

Before I purchased this I saw Wyze’s claims of 3-6 months of battery life, I was EXTREMELY skeptical. In my heart I knew the 6 months was just marketing speak and would never be realistically obtained. I also assumed that achieving 3 months would need ideal conditions with limited use to be obtained (so still marketing speak, but closer to the real world). So I asked myself if I was OK with half that much battery life (45 days). My answer was yes, so I pulled the trigger and made the purchase. So far it would appear that the battery life is very close to meeting MY expectations. Still extremely disappointed with Wyze for advertising battery life that is simply not obtainable.

I also like to tinker, so I purchased a small solar panel and I am planning on modifying the WCO so that it will still be weather resistant when the solar panel is plugged in. I believe this will solve the power issue that I don’t think Wyze will be able to significantly improve through firmware updates.

What bothers me more than anything with this WCO so far is the motion detection failures and delayed recording. All of which I DO believe Wyze will get figured out in due time through firmware updates. Everyone needs to remember that WE ALL purchased a pre-released product. So in a way, I believe we are another round of product testers.

I will provide an update when I make the small modification for the solar panel.

Before going all in on setting it up, you might want to try plugging it in, out in the sun and see if it charges. Another member on here tried this and they said it never charged, it actually discharged the battery. They said it seemed to be keeping the cam on constantly in live view mode while plugged in, which was draining the battery faster than the solar could charge. Then of course it was draining really fast at night with no sun, but the plug still plugged in. So before you spend a bunch of time making a nice set up, you might want to do a test run to see if it actually charges while plugged in to the cam outside.

Great tip! Thank you!

1 Like

Same here, a little less than 24 hours and got the low warning notifications. Have turned off all detection alerts yet it’s still draining pretty fast

Down to 92% after less than an hour after full charge

Since others are getting " longer " run times I don’t think this is going to be a " upgrade " fixable issue

Certainly the six month promised battery life is but a pipe dream

3 Likes

I always figure battery life predictions are like MPG ratings in cars. When they make those measurements the cars were stripped down, no seats and upholstery and in some cases driven downhill with a stiff tailwind.

:heart_eyes:

I’m on day 25, and my battery is at 79%. From reading all the anecdotal evidence, it seems the battery life is highly dependent upon the chosen location and scene. My cam is positioned such that it only triggers if something is moving on my front porch, so any activity in the front yard, or driveway, or street is not a factor. I think that’s entirely why I’m getting ‘acceptable’ battery life.

2 Likes

Mine is front door, and no direct sunlight, gets 1-2 notifications daily and is depleting in about 5 days! Definitively this has to be physical battery Flaw.

I have tried charging my outdoor cam by multiple methods. Even tried charging in the base. I tried removing the app. Removing the device and reinstalling it after re-download of app. My camera is not in any “bad” weather spots, because it never makes it as an outdoor camera. When I do turn it on the battery indication starts un-charging rapidly. I see this device is useless to me as an outdoor camera. Even as an indoor camera plugged in, it is useless to me when the power decreases. Are they offering refunds or exchanges on these devices?

1 Like

Fourteen days in and it appears that the Wyze outdoor Cam battery has stabilized. Down to 76% and appears to be averaging about 1% per day

Do not have any extra options working, like night vision or alerts, and am very happy with the clarity of the image

A neighbor who has the “Ring” system could not get over the Wyze Outdoor Cam image and is seriously thinking of adding some Wyze cams to augment his system

I hope others who have had battery problems get lucky and it fixes itself after 2 or 3 charges, like mine did

I figured out the problem. My solution is:
Set it to standard (SD) and auto (AUTO). I did mine and it is about a mount I did not charge. Today I need to charge after 1 month without charging. See the picture below to set up.

I just received my Outdoor cam on Friday. I fully charged and put it up Friday night. By Sunday morning it was down to around 15%. I fully charged on Sunday, changed to SD and auto and set detection distance and sensitivity to 30 on both. It’s Monday at 3PM and it’s down to 44% and the only time I get a notification is when I actually click on it to do a live view and that has only been a few times. Not sure what else I can do to prolong the battery life☹️

@Miller8b Welcome to the Wyze community! You can join the discussion in this thread below on Battery Life. You can also reach out to @WyzeDongsheng for assistance with your issue.

1 Like

I have 2 Wyze out door cameras in my back yard where there not a lot of traffic both are at 75% battery life since August. when I do go outside I turn both cameras off through the app which I love that feature running good for me. Thank you Wyze but on a other note please fix the damn Wyze sense that’s a terrible product that needs a revamp ASAP it never stays connected.

1 Like

ditto on everything. Im still at 70 something percent on my WCO and I also turn it off when going in my back yard so as not to waste battery recording me doing random stuff. And I second the Sense comment. Mine always go offline. Kinda funny but my motion sensor is rock solid. It always senses motion properly and never goes offline but my door sensors are terrible with that.

This is a record of my cam since puchased:

Recieved 8/13/2020
Charged to 100% 8/14/2020
Drained to 0% 8/15
Started Charging at 09:30 Turned off
10:30 charged to 24% Turned it on. Pointed out window.
11:30 charged to 44% with camera on pointed out the window
13:00 Fully Charged
17:00 Put on front porch fully charged.
8/18 Sudden drop to 16% from 90% yesterday
8/20 Down to 3% last night, showing same thing this morning
8/20 14:00 Dead, recharging, installing Base StationFirmware update 4.16.0.158 camera is 4.17.0.146
8/20 19:30 Charged to 100%, set to point at front door
8/21 07:00 Camera dead
8/21 08:30 Started charging the camera
8/21 09:42 Charged to 24%
8/21 11:00 Red charging light on back of camera is out, but app shows only 71%
8/21 12:12 Charged to 100%
8/21 12:45 Disconnected from power put back viewing front door
8/21 14:00 98%
8/22 10:00 97%
8/22 20:30 77% inserted SD card into the base. Install new eero mesh router.
8/28 73%
8/29 38% Turned on backup to base station
8/30 09:00 32%
9/2 10:00 28%
9/6 18:00 24%
9/8 11:00 21%
9/9 07:00 19% low battery warning
9/15 09:00 11%
9/17 14:00 dead
9/17 20:00 100% Placed on front porch new firmware 4.17.0.159
9/18 14:00 88%
9/20 13: 00 82%
9/22 07:00 38%

These huge gaps cannot be explained. From 9/20-22 I lost 44% and only 10 events recorded. I had more recorded at other times with little or no drops. I am set at SD, Auto night vision, no lights 5min cool down. Pointing at my front door (very few people come to the house, especially now). It is not hard to get to and bring it in to charge so I’ll probably keep it unless they offer a swap. When I charged it I rely on the app for percent done, the light going out doesn’t seem to mean anything.