Wyze lock - manual locking problems

Thanks for the reply, but what people keep missing that it works just fine manually as long as I don’t use the app or autolock, or otherwise use the motor.

It worked fine manually since my first post, until I used it as designed, with the app.
The motor just seems to refuse to disengage when using it manually.

I think taking the batteries out will reset it, for it to work manually again, but that’s ridiculous.
I image Wyze thinks it’s defective which is why they have not offered any more troubleshooting, and want to exchange it.

2 Likes

Well now it appears I am being ignored by support. No response to my request to exchange.
I have updated the ticket twice since then.
No reply.
I am not too happy at this point,

1 Like

May I please have your support ticket number? I want to look into this and this is definitely an odd situation. We’re sorry that you’ve been having this experience.

1 Like

I assume I got this because I am part of thread, just in case it was directed to me by accident I am all set with my issue and any ticket associated with my email only should be closed. “Bookocc” is not me and he still seems to have an issue.

Thanks John

1 Like

Thanks, John!

This was a reply to Bookocc but the email notifications can be mildly confusing. I appreciate you making sure I was redirected appropriately and I’m glad to hear that your issue is resolved. :slight_smile:

Hi,
I did receive a replacement lock. I haven’t had time to install it yet. Plan on doing it this week. I also got my keypad last week.
I will update with the results. fingers crossed.
thanks
Rick

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Another voice here for what sounds like the same issue.
Lock works fine through the app.
Lock sometimes works fine when locking it manually.
Lock is sometimes very difficult to lock manually.
Sometimes when locking manually you can only turn the deadbolt to about 2:00 when other times it goes to 3:00.
When it is difficult to lock manually you can feel resistance from the motor and sometimes it’s quite hard to get it into motion.
We installed the keypad a couple of days ago and when unlocking from the keypad it usually takes 2 entries of the pin to get the lock to fully unlock. On the first attempt it doesn’t fully unlock. On the second attempt sometimes it blinks red at you because it thinks it is already unlocked. Sometimes the second attempt fully unlocks it.
An update yesterday has made things worse.
So far we’ve tried loosening the screws, re-calibrating multiple times and a software update. None have worked completely and the most recent update has made it worse.
As mentioned by others the problem is not consistent and there is definitely resistance from the motor.

2 Likes

As I have said before , I have identified when this happens for me. It only happens when I have used the app to lock or unlock. Immediately afterwards, and for a few days after I have the issue with the motor when manually turning the deadbolt knob.
I am installing the replacement tomorrow. I received the keypad as well.

A little followup:
Dismantled the lock last night and tested the action of the deadbolt with a key. Smooth as silk, Deadbolt turns freely, almost no pressure required. No interference from door jamb or mortise.
Reassembled lock, even leveled the mounting plate. Calibration process completed with no problems. App and keypad work fine.
Manual opening and closing of the deadbolt requires a fair amount of pressure and it is consistent. A small child wouldn’t be able to turn this bolt. We have not experienced any manual lock / unlock cycles where a lot of force was not required to get the deadbolt turning and there is consistent high resistance from the motor / gear drive. In other words the manual lock / unlock via the Wyze lock is vastly different than if the Wyze was not installed. Hugely different. If without the Wyze the action of turning the deadbolt required an ounce or two of pressure then with the Wyze lock it takes 15lbs.
Now the worst part:
Unlocking from the outside with a key requires so much pressure that you are in fear of snapping the key. You can almost feel the key start to twist and then finally the deadbolt starts to turn. The key won’t take very many applications of this much force before it starts to crack.
At this point we are opening a support ticket and looking for a replacement. This just doesn’t seem right as far as how much force is required to get the bolt turning against the motor and gear drive.

1 Like

yep, same thing here. I was not able to my key at all.

Well I installed the replacement lock.
Same deal. I tried using the blue adapter, as my lock was at an angel. Same thing, actually worse, it wouldn’t extend the lock all the way out. So back to the orange one.

At this point I am thinking it may be the actual dead bolt. When you go past 0 degrees, it keeps going to the left about 10 degrees when you manually unlock it. it has ‘slop’ in it. You don’t see this with the deadbolts own knob.

All the deadbolts on my doors are original to the house, contractor brands. House is 15 years old.

This doesn’t explain why it works fine in manual mode, but once you auto lock or unlock, you can’t turn it without encountering motor resistance.

I also installed the keypad, so at least my guest can unlock the door with a code now. So the problem isn’t as big a deal as it was before. As long as the keypad doesn’t fail or get ripped off.

I agree with others about the security of the keypad. If they had made the back panel have holes so you would screw through it into the door jam or where ever you install it.
This doesn’t help with those using just the tape however.

But as many have said, for $20, not a big deal.

When I do replace the deadbolt, i will update if I see it makes any difference with this problem.

My experiences with the lock are identical to those described by Onslow:
1- Resistance from motor when using the inside knob to manually lock or unlock
2-Intermittent inability to retract or extend the deadbolt with the key.

Lock works just fine using the app or the keypad.

The tailpiece on my deadbolt is flat so I use the orange adapter. I am curious to know if others with these symptoms are also using flat tailpieces?

Today the lock worked fine manually. Locked and unlocked probably 4 times spread out over an hour or so and there was literally no resistance. I don’t understand what is going on.

Yes, I am using the orange adapter. I found that the resistance of the motor goes away if you don’t use the app or keypad at all. Eventually it stops the resistance, and works like a normal manual lock.
That’s how I have been using it for the last couple months.
All it takes is one unlock or lock with the motor for it to start again.

Interesting observation from bookooc: If the motor isn’t activated, the resistance from the motor disappears and both the key and interior knob operate without resistance.
Personally, I can tolerate the resistance against the inside knob: I just turn a little harder and the bolt moves fine.
Not being able to use the key to unlock the door is another matter entirely and a serious problem. It’s my understanding the lock will not operate via the app or the keypad during a loss of internet connectivity. This leaves only the key to give me access to the house. Not being able to turn the key to gain entry can, in certain situations, be a dangerous event.
Onslow’s observation that a small child may not be able to turn the interior knob against the motor resistance could also prove fatal.
Has anyone heard any helpful feedback from Wyse concerning this issue?

Which adapter are you using? Is the tailpiece on your deadbolt flat?

I thought I read somewhere that you can still unlock via your phone as it uses bluetooth for that.
Not being able to use the key was the big issue for me. My house guest is stubborn, and won’t use an app. (yeah I know, I need to throw him out) .
But using the key when the motor is engaged like that is very difficult. I also read somewhere here that it causes wear and tear on the motor.

Green adapter. Square shaft.Today back to lots of resistance when locking or unlocking manually.

Hello @Onslow,

If you are using the green adapter, change the knob orientation. This will resolve the issue.

Here is the guide on how to do it: