Wyze Lock Calibration Reset?

That is very good to know. I don’t use Apple. This is information that might explain a few things. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Thank @WyzeJonathan too. Believe me it was a group effort. I don’t know if or how many people helped him or he was on his own. But we finally decided to delete the lock out of everything but my phone. Test and zero unlocks. Then slowly started to add devices. The iPad always seemed to be the hiccup. We had our suspicions but the last testing basically proved it. Kinda sucks for me because being disabled I use iPad a lot for bigger screen. But I almost always have my phone within arms reach so not a big deal. And not worrying about auto unlocking all the time is great. And I’m sure Jonathan is looking at fix for sometime down the road.

2 Likes

I have two locks, and i was having issue with the “open/close” status of 1x lock but no unexpected “lock/unlock” with both. after the swap out of that faulty? lock, the “open/close” status had a new twist after a few days. It would show “open” in the device listing but once you click into the device, it shows the correct state, “close” and @WyzeJonathan said it was a known issue that they would fix. After a day or two, all of my locks have been acting normal (knock on wood*3) since then. I also don’t have “auto lock” or rules enabled as I am waiting for the keypad

1 Like

@WyzeJonathan, anything?

1 Like

Hello @viscount,

We had an server bug that reports wrong door state on the device list. This issue will be resolved by next app update.

Regards,

1 Like

@wolfcorner @blorenz @raym64

Sorry for the late response. I have been investigating this issue for the past few days.

Basically, the door sensor in the Wyze Lock uses a gyroscope like in your smartphone to detect the position of the door. During calibration, the gyroscope is being programmed to know what is the open/closed position of the door.

I have not been able to track down the cause of the calibration reset just yet. I need to work with other groups to find the root cause of the issue. I can say that this is only affecting a very small amount of our EA users.

Possible cause of the calibration issue:

• Door slamming can cause gyroscope to lose calibration
  • Gyroscope defect
  • Others

I apologize again for the late response. Once I have more information, I will definitely update you on it.

Regards,

3 Likes

Thanks @WyzeJonathan for the update.

If it turns out to be that slamming of a door can cause these issues, that basically completely renders this lock useless for anybody with children…

1 Like

I also have a Nest x Yale smart lock, it’s on my front door. It also has the auto lock function, but doesn’t require any sort of calibration to determine the open/close status or position of the door and has accurately auto-locked every single time since I installed it almost 2 years ago.

Do you know what Nest/Yale is using to determine the door position in their lock, @WyzeJonathan? I would assume R&D probably tore apart most smart locks in the marketplace to settle on a set of features and designs.

Truely, door slamming shouldn’t be an issue

1 Like

Wifi 6 / 6e routers will have backward compatibility for 2.4 and 5Ghz devices. Wyze devices won’t need to use the 6Ghz band on 6e routers; they will continue to connect at 2.4Ghz, just like always. In fact Wifi 6 / 6e routers should provide a much more reliable / stable experience for all IoT devices (including Wyze devices), due to the increased throughput and traffic handling.

yes, that’s my understanding as well
I am on the fence here, the existing setup is not broken ( DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem + Wifi Router) but i see performance issue as I have 1GB Xfinity plan, i don’t see connectivity above 200mbps on devices and using the latest device on hand (ipad 9.7 latest) I see 600mbps placing it next to the wifi router. So wondering if having another standalone device for wifi router functionality will make the setup future-proof for more smart home devices, more hand held devices, (two kids not yet have their own phones/tablets) and if investing in a Wifi 6/6e is worth it when some of the devices are “hard-coded” to limit client devices connections even if its a MESH

https://kb.netgear.com/24043/How-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-NETGEAR-router

So wondering if there’s a Wyze approved router list that we can come up with
@WyzeJonathan Do you guys have an internal list of compatible wifi routes, ones that have no limitation with clients (so you guys can sell more devices to us)

Cheers,
David

Wifi 6 routers can handle four times as many devices at speeds up to 40-percent faster than 802.11ac. https://www.techspot.com/news/83483-wi-fi-alliance-introduces-new-wi-fi-6e.html

That netgear link you shared is from 2016 (re: 802.11 ac routers).

What I like about the new wi-Fi6 is it they actually put some effort into improving 2.4 GHz. Instead of just leaving it as it is or possibly downgrading it they know so many people have devices that are only 2.4 GHz that they put time and effort into improving it. I think that will be a huge plus.

yes, i understand that AX’s goal is to get to 4x more devices per channel (from 4 devices to 8) and 40% faster than AC, but keep in mind that those benefits are for AX clients. If you look closely to the tech spec and marketing materials, some will mention the benefit of AX is for AX clients only.

There isn’t a whole lot of choices at this point for AX routers as it’s just came out of Draft stage.

The backward compatibility of Wifi 6 just means AC (Wifi 5) or AN (Wifi 4) clients can connect to the builtin 2.4/5 ghz band but not able to utilize the AX 6ghz band. Similar to when we upgrade from Wifi 3 -> Wifi 4

So in my understanding:
4 lane highway becomes 8 lanes, and the extra 4 lanes speed limit has bumped from 70mph to 140mph
The little cars (wifi clients) have limitations (AC) for gas cars and (AX) for electric cars
all existing gas cars runs on AC will not be able to take advantages of AX lane because they are not equipped to change lane (zero emission as an example) so all the AX cars can leverage all 8 lanes but AC cars can’t, they are stuck in the old 4 lanes but once AX stay in the newer lanes, existing 4 lanes becomes less congested.

So question for Wyze people, what have you guys done internally to test this? Will there be a AX version of smart home devices coming out? What AX modem have no limitation on AC clients?

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

It’s happening again @WyzeJonathan

TicketID: 3920

1 Like

I had the craziest thing happen to mine the other day. It was saying the door was open when it was closed (again), but randomly and miraculously the lock somehow corrected itself about 12 hours later and the calibration has held ever since.

My 3rd lock has been holding up, hopefully they can get yours figured out.

1 Like

with the latest app update, so far so good

1 Like

I sent mine back for a refund and ordered and installed an August. The constant calibration issues and random door ajar alarms were enough to drive me nuts. A smart device shouldn’t require constant correction.

i just ordered the keypad, thinking if it combo is good enough, i will forgive the mis-calibration…
else will just return it…

So far the recalibration and the keypad is working without issue… Let’s see how it goes for a week

@WyzeJonathan
How do we see the battery level of the keypad??