WYZE LOCK automatically unlocks randomly

@Yurii : NFC idea is excellent. Put an NFC chip in the LOCK and use it after the geo fencing and bluetooth logic.

@paindonthurt : I thought that GEO fencing is created when you put your home address in the app. Then the app uses that information along with the phones GPS location to trigger actions. What if based on the home address and the phone’s GPS location when it enters the geo fence, calculate the distance as the distance decreases you are getting close based on these calculations you can trigger actions. I don’t think this has anything to do with apple or iphone as currently my family member who has iphone is away from home since I installed the lock. So only android phones and google maps in question here. Again, just thinking out loud.

@raym64 : We would only find out if and once people start posting it online. For e.g. I bought my first PAN Wyze CAM in 2018, installed it right away. And few days later found out that at certain times (during the day) the picture has PINK tone in it but at night it is fine. It clearly has a problem but I never got around to contact support for it and now we are in 2020. Not even sure if they would help me. But I still get the PINK tone from that camera. So we may not not the real number of people with this problem but irrespective of that even 1 LOCK acting up like this is a problem, I think. And I agree with you, “Size of the problem” is the key to solving this sooner.

I like the NFC idea, How about use the LOCK Gateway for this purpose?

Thank you all for your time and hope to find a fool proof solution to this issue.

2 Likes

You are correct that when you put in your address it creates the geo-fence which is a circle around your GPS location. When you say that once you enter that Geo fence and the distance decreases it should allow you to trigger actions that’s essentially what it’s doing now. Because you have 10 minutes once you enter the Geofence area for auto unlock to work. So it is essentially saying that you’re getting closer to your door and you should be able to unlock it. If you can’t do that in 10 minutes it thinks you’re not getting any closer and stops the action.

But like I said I can only speak on iOS I don’t know anything about Android and what maps they’re using and how they’re using those maps etc. you would have to ask Jonathan

Auto unlock only works about 50% of the time for me.
Last night, it did not work when I arrived home, and I had to unlock manually.
Later that night, my lock opened by itself about 1 hour after I arrived home. I never left my home!
It also opened again by itself the following morning at 8:22 AM, while I was still in my home.
Obviously, there is something seriously wrong with auto unlock.
A lock that unlocks randomly on its own is unsafe.
I was told today that the update that should fix this problem has been pushed back.
Until this problem is fixed, auto unlock should be disabled.

2 Likes

You can disable it yourself in settings. But my 1st lock that they replaced would Auto Unlock even with it was turned off. My only option with that lock was to delete to guarantee it wouldn’t Auto Unlock. This replacement has been much better. That’s never happened with it. But it has auto unlocked on its own a few times.

Maybe I’m confused. If a lock randomly unlocks unprovoked, how is that “much better”? : )

3 Likes

12x a day vs 2-3x a week is much better. Shows they are addressing the problem and are indeed fixing it. Is it perfect yet? No. But that’s quite an improvement imo.

1 Like

Same problem as yours, unlocks during the night also, Wyze replaced my lock for free. I change the lock to not unlock upon nearing the door when we go to bed. Since March 1 it hasn’t happened so maybe they have fixed it. No official word that they have fixed this disturbing issue.

3 Likes

My last auto Unlock was on the sixth at 6:41 PM. But they have become much less frequent. Especially at night. So honestly I’m happy. I know some people say that they’re not safe and even if they didn’t auto Unlock they would never put a smart lock on their house. But like I’ve said before I’ve had steel doors with deadbolts on them and my house has been broken into three times so if the thief wants to get in they will get in. And if they can’t kick in your door you’ve got a pretty thin glass window somewhere that they can break and get in. People always forget about those windows

1 Like

Ok, so we are trying to figure out what rubber gloves to use with this leaking fountain pen.

Just spit balling here.

So, the rules are pretty simple.

1. lock door

2. leave geo fence area (trigger required for auto unlock to function)

3. re-enter geo fence area

4. lock detects BLE phone

5. door unlocks.

So, lets add a condition,
Change 2 to 2A and add
2B. lock detects loss of BLE phone (second requirement for auto unlock trigger)

Also, would it possible to use the phones WiFi MAC detection for the requirements?

And while I understand this is a scary thing during daytime, how about adding a feature like a… do not disturb schedule… that basically door does NOT auto unlock during certain hours of the night.
What that does is says that you have to MANUALLY request the door unlock via the app during that time schedule.

4 Likes

I’m guessing if it lost contact with BLE then you would use your key.

And having a do not disturb setting I think sounds great. But when I had all of the issues with auto unlock at the very beginning I would turn auto unlock off and it was still auto unlocking because it would jump out of the geo-fence and back in. Now I haven’t turned off auto unlock in weeks so I don’t know if that still happens or not. So what I ended up doing to make sure that it was safe at night was deleting the lock out at night and then re-adding it in the morning. Which is obviously not handy and not the way that they want the lock to work so I believe they have fixed that issue but I am not going to say whether they have or not you would need to talk to Jonathan about that.

1 Like

To be upfront I did not read this entire thread sorry if this was already mentioned.
Do all of your deivces with WYZE accounts have the most accurate Location determination set. I realized that I need to allow the devcie to use GPS, Wi-Fi AND Bluetooth to determine the location.
I have had my lock two weeks now and while I have not had my Lock UN-lock even once, one of my phones does not unlock the lock when I arrive at the door. I have been conducting my own tests for under what conditions the door is to unlock. For e.g. Do I need to have the gateway linked to my phone via BT when I leave the house? If I am home and the geo-fence is on and I have switched off bluetooth, I then leave the house and the geo-fence area, then turn on BT outside the GF area, when I return home will the lock un-lock? It does not for me. It also does not unlock if I leave the BT on the phone on before leaving the house. I noticed too that if I walk outside of my GF and I track my movement by keeping the app open on the GF map, when I walk back to my front door the door un-locks but if I hop in my car and drive outside the GF area and return home the lock does not un-lock. On the drive, if I keep the GF map open while I drive, intially i can see the icon moving outside of the GF area as I dirve but at some point beyond the GF area while driving the GF map resets and the icon showing my location resets to my house which is of course within my GF. Could this be why it does not un-lock when I return home from my drive? I don’t know.
Another note is that some phones have an option to receive or “connect” to BT even though the BT on the phone is switched OFF. My wife’s phone has this and the un-lock works every time for her. My phone does not have this option.

3 Likes

We had 3-4 different brands of WiFi locks.
Geo fencing is not stable.
I can not trust it for my lock.
Tested on Apple and Android

2 Likes

Just a quick update on some of my further testing. The behavior I described concerning the GF when I drive with the app open I have not been able to replicate. I believe I misinterpreted this behavior which I described in the following account: So I had reported that when I drive, the icon showing my position “resets to my house which is of course within my GF”. I have not been able to replicate this over several tries. What I have been able to replicate while walking over a greater distance in addition to driving, is my GF area actually jumping and moving about the map (to areas not at all where my house is located on the map). What I also witnessed is the size of the GF area growing and shrinking. This movement of the GF is what I misinterpreted and described previously as my location icon on the map jumping about when it is more likely what originally occurred was the GF area itself that is doing the jumping. I am not sure if this is just a rendering issue or if the GF is actually moving. I mean when I travel I am not connected to any WiFi so I guess the Location is determined only by the GPS. In any event I have to agree with the OP that the GF is not stable at this point. My phone still does not auto-lock, while my wife’s continues to do so. I will still use this Lock though as I have an additional security device for night as I know that a lock is not going to stop someone determined to break into my house which is the reason I always install additional security device in my residence and not depend solely on a deadbolt.

1 Like

My lock auto-unlocked, stayed open for 10 minutes and auto-locked again eight times between 130am and 6am when I woke up and turned off auto-unlock. At this point I do not think its an Apple Geo-Fence issue as I have a lot of automation’s in HomeKit that are reliant upon geo-fencing and nothing else was triggered in my house.

@JonathanF I submitted a log this morning with pictures of all the events. Is there any update on this issue from previous troubleshooting with other users? The lock shouldn’t be opening and leaving my family vulnerable to burglary or worse. I really hope Wyze can fix this quickly.

2 Likes

Wow…that is interesting to say the least. Hope WYZE can pin this down

Since the most recent ios update our locks have been auto locking and unlocking seemingly at random. Even with auto lock turned off the locks will lock themselves on occasion. Auto unlock has been at least working now but it will do it while we’re home and have been for quite some time. I hadn’t been overly concerned as it would happen an hour or two after arriving home and I know the apple gps will jump around some. However today I’m about 7 hours from my home and I get an auto unlock notification. The lock is shared with my wife who has her own account. I just don’t understand how I’m 7 hours away and trigger auto unlock.

2 Likes

This has been on going since day one on my lock also, Again this morning at 7:40 am while we are both home. Wyze sent me a replacement lock which is the one that is installed now. They better fix this now before someone gets hurt because of it. I think it’s not GEO Fencings as much as their bluetooth system disconnects and reconnects,

1 Like

While I don’t like it unlocking while I’m home it’s something I can tolerate until it’s fixed. What I don’t understand is how I’m 400 miles away and not only did I somehow enter my geofence but it also connected to my bt? That’s absolutely impossible.

1 Like

I wonder… Do you have the Wyze app installed on a tablet or another phone that you leave at home?

2 Likes

Yes we have another iPhone and my wife please at home she’s has a Apple Watch and that one is turned off as well for auto unlock so it’s a separate account thanks for checking up on us

1 Like