Wyze lock and google home integration

I found a way to use Google Home to at least lock the Wyze Lock. There might be an easier way but I was just tinkering around and came up with this. Hopefully it helps some people. Again, the only thing it accomplishes is locking the door.

1. I set up a Wyze plug with nothing plugged into it and I named that plug “front door”. I then added this plug to Google Home and added it to a room in my house. Now with voice commands I can turn the plug named “front door” on and off.

2. In the Google Home app I went to “Routines” and created a new one.
    2a) in “How to start” I selected “Voice command” as the starter. Then added all the ways I or my wife would ask Google Home how to lock the door.
    2b) then under “This Routine will” I entered “Ask Wyze to turn on the front door” (this is to turn on the the plug that was set up in step 1)
    2b) then i added a second command for this Routine. When adding the second command there is a long list to choose from. I checked the box “Adjust Home Devices” and then clicked on the arrow to the right. I used the drop down menu for the plug named “Front door” and changed it from “don’t change” to “turn off”. (The plug needs to be in the “off” position for this whole thing to work. I didn’t want to have to remember to give a voice command to turn the plug off every time I locked the door. This just runs the routine and then immediately turns the plug off so it is ready for the next time.)
    2c) Save routine

3. Next I went to the Wyze app where I have my plug and locked each set up and selected “Edit Rules” at the top.
    3a) hitting the “+” button at the top right brought up a screen with “Create Rule” where I selected “Device Trigger”.
    3b) Name it whatever you want.
    3c) Under “when”, the trigger I used was my empty plug and selected “Turn on” from the list.
    3d) Under “do”, the action I chose was my lock. After selecting the lock only one option is available “Locks”. I checked the box to the right.

So now when I ask Google Home to “Lock my front door”, Google home translates that to “Turn on front door” which then turns on a Wyze plug that has nothing plugged into it. The Wyze app Rules then determine that if that plug turns on it should lock my front door. Google Home then automatically and immediately turns the plug back off, because if it is already on it can not do the whole process allowing the whole chain of commands to be ready for the next time I lock the door. A long convoluted way to get my door locked using voice commands on Google Home… but it works. Would be easier if Wyze just integrated the lock in the first place.

3 Likes

Today my Google Home app automatically asked if I would like to add Wyze Lock to my home. I said yes, and my Wyze Lock was instantly grouped with all of my other Wyze devices within Google Home.

I’ve asked the Google Assistant to lock my front door, and successfully integrated it into Android Auto so that I’m able to lock my door from my car as I leave my home.

I don’t know if this is a new feature that was released in beta or something, Because when I asked my Google Assistant to unlock My Wyze Lock, the assistant requires me to speak a PIN which currently isn’t the same PIN that I’ve programmed into the keypad.

Regardless it looks like Google integration is finally here or coming soon. I use the Pixel 4 XL which was recently updated to the June security patch, and that’s when the integration seemed to have started within the Google Home app.

I really enjoy finally being able to lock my home from my car when I leave each morning.

2 Likes

Actually, there was an option in the Wyze app settings to set a pin for Google Assistant yesterday. I set it, however today the option is no longer there. Nevertheless, when I just asked Google to unlock the front door, it asked for my pin, and then unlocked the front door successfully! I guess they rolled it out prematurely, but it’s fully working on my end.

1 Like

Wyze Lock now works with Google Home in the 2.21 app!

2 Likes