WYZE Light Sensor (new device or function of camera)

Make a light sensor (similar to your motion sensor) that can be used in conjunction with Wyze bulbs to turn lights on/off when light levels reach a certain threshold.

This should be built into the motion sensor so we don’t need multiple sensors to do these:

1. Turn on certain lights when and as it remains dark
  2. Turn on certain lights when motion is detected && it is dark
5 Likes

Yeah…I think this will be a nice feature. There are certain part of the house that gets dark. I could set a timer to turn on at certain time. Or I can have a light sensor that turns it on automatically.

2 Likes

Without any hardware changes, I think the existing cameras should be able to report an ambient light level, and then use this as a trigger event. Surely this would only require software changes, since they can already detect movement and change between day & IR setting.

I’m using motion sensors to light up dark hallways, but they don’t need it during the day.
I know Wyze are working on allowing to disable rules between set times, but the times would constantly need to be changed throughout the year in some scenarios.

eg:
IF Cam 1 light level is greater than X
THEN
disable rule A
or
disable motion sensor that triggers a Wyze bulb
etc.

IF Cam 1 light level is less than X,
THEN
enable rule B
or
enable Wyze Bulb
etc

1 Like

Yeah, the cameras definitely have the hardware ability already. But for my purposes, scheduling based on sunrise/sunset would fill the same need and would probably be more useful for me. And would also be easy for them to implement with software only.

My first post here. I am also looking for the ambient light sensor from Wyze. I am already doing the scheduling of the lights, so that the wyze bulb turns on when it detects motion AND time of day is between 4 pm - 8 am. I am doing that with IFTTT.
This works, but would be nicer to have the ambient light sensor. It would be better than the fixed time schedule because

1. Weather is unpredictable. Like some days in New England are just gloomy and dark outside even at noon time.
  2. With the ambient light sensor, then I don’t need to keep changing the schedule (like during the summer in New England, the sun won’t set till 8.30 pm).

I really hope Wyze would allow detecting the amount of ambient light via the existing Wyze Sense or Wyze Cam or Wyze new light sensor.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Could be added to the Wyze Motion sensor but existing devices won’t be able to do this. They don’t have photcells, just PIR. PIR works by infrared or heat. Often human heat.

Creating a separate photocell sensor in the Wyze Sense family would probably be the same cost as buying new motion sensors.

3 Likes

I’d love an ambient light brightness sensor operating through Wyze sense. That would allow people to automate bulb brightness levels to keep a room well-lit while taking advantage of natural light and helping the user stay green. For example:

1. If it’s a very sunny day outside, I’d reduce bulb brightness. (And if it’s cloudy, I’d turn up the brightness).
  2. At noon, the bulbs should be dim, but the brightness should ramp up as the sun sets
3 Likes

An ambient light sensor makes a lot of sense for controlling when Wyze bulbs turn on (sunset). Having to adjust the time the bulbs should turn on across the year is just a pain

It would be awesome to have photocells that use the bridge or even stand alone with even more control.
Yes use can set schedules but in my area depending the time of year… lights can be needed anytime between 4 and 9 PM. It is a PIA to keep adjusting the schedules. Using a photocell you can have it basically as a stand alone or as an and gate, (when the photocell senses a level of light and a door opens turn on the light).
This would save energy as well as be a great part of home automation.
If you would ask me, I would like to be able to adjust the light level threshold.

For now I’ve put in place a workaround with a Weather Underground IFTTT rule that turns the Wyze bulbs at Sunset. I don’t have to adjust the schedule anymore

I would like to see a light sensor be the next product made available in the sense line. As well as a combo that deploys both a light sensor and motion sensor in one unit.

Reason for this is so that I can have say a hallway light turn on when there is motion but only turn on with the sunlight is dim enough to trigger it to be on. I have a time range setup for my current motion sensor to turn on the lights but say on days where there is a lot of cloud cover the hallway can be fairly dark during the day so having the ability to adjust based on light and motion would be an amazing welcome. I am sure this could be used in many other places in the home too.

2 Likes

A simple light sensor unit would be very easy to implement given the sensors you already have and could be used to trigger the Wyze Plug to turn on a light at sunset and/or off at sunrise. That way it would never need to be reprogrammed. If the plug could be programmed to turn off x hours after being triggered by the light sensor sees that it is dark then you could have a simple way to pretend occupancy. The basic light sensor element is a trivially inexpensive thing and could even be built into the Wyze Plug.

1 Like

I am buying one of these for the hallway. $20 shipped on ebay.
I will post here how well it works with Alexa or Google or Apple, in that order whichever works first.

Any Plans for a Dusk to Dawn Sensor?

This doesn’t work with Alexa or Google.
It cannot be added as a device to either.
I am returning this.
Don’t bother. Customer service could not help either.

Can we please get a light sensor (dawn/dusk) to trigger our light bulbs?
Either built-in the Wyze bulb or separate but can use to trigger other wyze products.
Preferably separate, so we can be more creative on our usage.

Hi

Would you please enable the brightness sensor in your outdoor plug as independent sensor?

I would like to use it to trigger e.g an Alexa routine to switch on some lights indoor.

Thanks

Would like a separate sensor indoor/outdoor sensor I can use to trigger Wyze plugs and lights.
Was surprised this wasn’t built into the newly released (and purchased) outdoor Wyze plug.

1 Like

I was expecting the sensor to be available to be used for make a rule as any other features available with rules, and not limited to rules, but also to be able to make more complex ones with IFTTT or assistants (Google | Alexa). Just look possible scenarios:
Turn on/off devices others than the plug, Another wyze device or IFTTT rule and/or Assistant routine.
Add a row to a spreadsheet to keep event records.
Just to said a few, the currently limited use of the sensor are bellow my expectations.
That doesn’t mean I cannot do it right now, because I can just dedicate a plug to turn on | off and use that other event to trigger what I waiting for, but what I mean is that I really do not need to turn on | off a plug in some scenarios.