Wyze Leak Sensor - First Impression

I did, ordered 3 sets. I think I may take the casing off one to see it’s innards but still would like to monitor my hot tub water level over the winter with it.

I also have a climate sensor and leak sensor in the body of the Hot Tub as well to keep up with temps in the pump and hose space.

I would say the sensors are the smart piece, therefor the extended probe should not count as it is an add on? What do you think? We just need to lay the rules down in our Wyziest home showcase. :wink:

Starting to plan out my Wyze Basement… so be ready… 2k sq ft of unfinished basement. It’s a blank canvas my friend. I just need Wyze to make with the smart switches soon, smart outlets… (not plugs) would be nice as well.

1 Like

Sweet! If you take it apart take lots of pictures and do a new thread. Maybe a video too.

Yeah, I guess we can have 2 ways of tracking. Will have to update a shared spreadsheet template one of these days when I’ve finally installed everything in my new house.

1 Like

Just a short update, I finally installed a probe fully submerged in water in my cat’s drinking water fountain. I set the probe to sit just above the little pump/filter. I set a routine of Wyze rules for if it ever goes 5 minutes of being “clear” of a leak (no water connecting the probe contacts for 5 minutes straight), it will run a routine of turning a bunch of color bulbs a certain color so that everyone knows that the water level in the cat water is getting too low. It’s been fully submerged for almost 24 hours now and is working great. I initially had a routine to have a siren go off, but decided I didn’t want that happening while we slept :rofl: so I switched it to turning nearby color bulbs a certain color everyone will recognize the message for.

I’m excited. We had a previous fountain get ruined by going dry and ruining the fountain filter/pump. This leak detector probe will resolve that issue, And because the leak probe cord is so long, I was able to stick the main unit right underneath a group of pipes and drains so it can do double duty and notify me if the main unit senses a leak too.

I was wondering if it would work okay like this, but my tests so far show it’s totally fine and working great like this…the main unit making sure things stay dry, and the probe making sure the pet water area stays wet to a high enough level. I love it! I hated feeling like I had to constantly keep checking up on the pet water to make sure my daughter was filling it up like she agreed to so it doesn’t get ruined and so the pets stay alive! A small weight lifted off my stress load (and wasted time) is priceless.

5 Likes

If you want reliability, I’d still seal the non-IP rated sensor cable entry point with some silicone rubber, like RTV.

3 Likes

Yeah, I plan to do this for other ones I intend to submerge (swimming pool water level, etc), I was just feeling too lazy (and time lacking), and felt risking the cheap $5 probe was worth my laziness and time saving for one test! :rofl: So far, so good…though I would recommend other people follow your advice to seal around where the cord goes into the probe just to be safe (if they plan on it being submerged). Thanks for the reminder so people don’t assume it is IP rated when it is not.

2 Likes

Let him make his own mistakes :rofl:

But you will find this interesting @Newshound and @carverofchoice

ahaha thats awesome. Can I possibly get a video or photo of the setup? Wanna show the team the ingenuity of our community

4 Likes

Of course. Let me run some tests to be absolutely sure how it works after extended submersion (might get water-logged or something for example). Then I will add some media and a good report on how it works.

1 Like

Currently siding with @Newshound 's suggestion to put sealant around the corded area of the probe.

DISCLAIMER: Again, remember I voluntarily chose to test the probe knowing I might ruin it, so I am not recommending anyone else submerge these devices without accepting the warranty would be void.

As previously stated, I submerged a probe under water to sit just above the cat fountain pump/filter, hoping it will alert me when the water gets low. In my tests of short submersion it worked okay (leak detected, then after a couple of minutes I take it out and the leak cleared). But it needed a longer term submersion to be sure. I left it submerged for a day and a half and tonight I removed it to see if it would clear like it did with the short tests.

When I took the probe out of the kitty water fountain/filter to test if it would still clear after being submerged for a day and a half. It did not clear immediately. Soon I set it on a dry surface and it did not clear. I wiped it dry and it did not clear. I left it there to track how long it would take to clear.

The Probe took 2hrs 10 min to clear.

But it did eventually clear, at least while on a dry surface. (And the notifications and routines DID run, changing a bunch of nearby color bulbs to different colors, prompting my daughter to call out to me asking why her bedroom light suddenly went red :rofl: I hadn’t told her about the rule/routine yet.)

I then moved the probe around to see if an internal pool of water would set it off again to detect a “leak” but it stayed clear.

I then touched the probe to a wet surface (the top of the filter/pump I pulled out of the kitty water and it detected a leak again. I propped one side of the probe off the surface of the pump so it hovered in the dry air, but the leak wouldn’t clear.

Then I put it back to a dry surface and this time it took 1 hour 15 minutes to clear even though it wasn’t submerged the second time. Interesting. If there is an internal water source, it needed an external wet surface to set it off, but once it detected the wet surface it wouldn’t immediately clear again. Will test further, but definitely recommending the next test for me or @R.Good be to try sealing the cord entrance area better before the next long term submersion test and see if that gives an an improvement to allow it to clear in less than 2 hours. :slight_smile:

AGAIN to anyone following these tests, R.Good an I accepted that we may damage our probes in these experiments, that it would be 100% our fault, and they would no longer be under warranty. We just feel figuring this out (if it’s possible) will make for some really beneficial use-cases for ourselves. :slight_smile: Plus it’s fun.

I look forward to the next phase of testing with sealant and see how that works out. Once we figure out some reliable solutions I’ll probably include a video or pictures or something. :slight_smile: Gotta perfect it a little first…though I’m about to be out of town for a minute, so I might have a delay in testing.

4 Likes

One area to note, down the road, if the cameras are off like I have set my interior cameras to be when home, and not in bed, the sirens do not fire.

Added a turn on camera group to my rule, the cameras turned on and the sirens fired within 2/3 seconds of introducing water to the sensor… Really thought I was going to need a pause in there but didn’t, happy about this, cause there is no pause condition in rules :wink:.

2 Likes

Maybe the rules now execute sequentially on the new rules engine. I remember some people thought they used to happen all once on the old engine. Glad it worked.

I was really excited for these leak sensors. They are the primary reason I purchased the new hub (which I’m at least glad that Wyze is now selling standalone). I received three packs of leak sensors yesterday and my first impressions are not great.

So far, I just opened one pack. The first sensor in that pack was DOA. I successfully paired the second sensor but it was stuck in a “leak in body” state. I reset it successfully and re-paired it. It appeared to be in normal state but, when I went to test it by getting it wet, the sensor failed to register a leak.

So that’s at least one pack I need to return. I’ll try the other 2 packs later tonight.

That all said, here’s my big question: how in the blazes do you get the batteries out of these things? I figured I would at least try to replace the battery in that first sensor but man are these batteries wedged in there. I tried pushing it at various points and shaking it but the thing would not budge.

I tried contacting Wyze support. They were friendly and responsive but super unhelpful. First they pointed me to the instructions for removing a battery from a contact/motion sensor. Then, they just told me to return the item (which I will take advantage of). Wyze really needs to publish a support article on how to replace the batteries on these things.

Open the door, rap the opening against your hand. The battery should immediately pop out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Newshound, great suggestion. That did it … although it took several raps!

The other two packs of sensors paired and tested well … as did the original problematic two from the first pack once I replaced the batteries. So it appears I just had two bad batteries. So, while first impressions weren’t great, these appear to be functioning well at this point … despite the annoyance /cost of replacing the batteries in new sensors.

They definitely do need to create a support article for battery replacement though. Will be interesting to see how they describe the “rap technique”.

Did you measure the bad batteries with a voltmeter? If above 3V then maybe they just needed to be reseated?

Glad you are up and running! :slight_smile:

Hi. If I want the leak sensor, do I understand that I need to purchase the Home Monitoring Service AND also pay for a subscription?

To add more sensor will be easy of you get some solid 18-20 guage solid wire and solder a long enough piece to each connector of the leak sensor. You are extending it’s reach and tape the other sends of the wire to the area you want to monitor. You could use Speaker wire, just use the center conductor and the sheath will cover until you attach it tot eh are you want covered. You basically can have two sensor activated in 2 different place. Just attach wires to the leak sensor using solder and go for it.

Hello @R.Good! I work with the Wyze Home Monitoring product team and came across your post. Your use cases and experiences wth the Leak Sensor are exactly why we added it, and the Climate Sensor to Home Monitoring. Would you allow us to use some of your quotes and images in some marketing materials?

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @WyzeJennifer :smile:

Please do. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you x2! Would you mind if I used your name or would you prefer to be anonymous? We generally use a first name and last initial.

1 Like