Wyze Leak Sensor - First Impression

I appreciate the response but a) can’t trust battery only power. We are talking Canadian winter where a site visit is expensive. B) Generally no hubs on these premises. Cameras are used as glorified motion sensors.

I will also reiterate my request for a temperature sensor that plugs in, has an IP and is configurable to respond to temperature changes outside a range.

You can… they just happen to be out of stock at the moment, but you can sign up to be notified when available. I also wish I had bought more :wink:

2 Likes

How about a solution build on a Raspberry Pi? Just one example: http://projects.privateeyepi.com/home/home-alarm-system-project/wireless-projects/flood-water-presence-sensor

And, if concerned about power outage (I realize you want a plug in solution), you could use a 12v SLA battery to power the Pi then a Battery Tender (or equivalent) to maintain the battery.

I haven’t done this so take my suggestion with caution.

1 Like

Both the probe and sensor can be used to detect leaks? Now how in the crap is anyone supposed to know that? No literature came with mine and I just read both the install sections online and there is no mention of that. Wyze could really make their stuff more user friendly by providing better documentation.

Documented on the Website FAQ and in the Quick Start Guide in the box… I won’t lie, I did not read it in the literature before I knew. I saw the option in the app then looked it up :wink: who needs instructions… pppfffttttt.

4 Likes

I had my very first live leak, at my kitchen sink! I shouldn’t be this excited about it but I am. This was not a test.

Everything executed as designed.
My Rules set off the camera alarms, (examples above)

I hopped out of my home office chair excusing myself from a user story pointing event, to investigate, shutting the alarm off (three camera Sirens are very loud) from my Shortcut rule enroute to the leak (shown above) to find a very small amount of water that slipped through while my daughter was cleaning her coffee making “devices” (oddly she has a lot, my knowledge of coffee is that it looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine)

The Wyze leak detector identified the water, sitting next to my other device that I have not retired yet (That device did not detect the water, where the Wyze sensor sits lower to the surface than the other device, obviously alerting me sooner than the non-Wyze device would )

I am very happy with the results!

Yes, I painted the bottom of my cabinet with Flex Seal… and I LOVE IT.

7 Likes

This is great news. Can’t wait to see it be released for Beta or even production. Thanks for providing the information @Dchou

Impressive story. Guess I will need to setup a rule to turn on my sirens and lights. So are you retiring the other one now?

1 Like

I am, I have 2 of them and they use a “hub” as well…

The 15 wyze leak sensors I have should cover them😉 plus I free up an IP getting rid of the other hub.

3 Likes

Just reviewed the information on the Leak Sensor. I was looking forward to it. However, disappointed that it does not function standalone as the cameras.

(Requires Wyze Home Monitoring Core Starter Kit. This device will NOT function as an individual or standalone product.)

I already have a substantial hard wired alarm monitoring system in my home and it would be too costly to replace as every door, window, and hallway is monitored. I did not see that you can purchase just the hub required.

Little frustrating as hacks on Youtube show how to convert a Wyze camera to a leak detector fairly easy without needing the Monitoring Core Starter kit. I thought I may one day switch to Wyze Monitoring as my old system becomes obsolete and I begin adding Wyze products. However, for now I will probably just get a sensor that is compatible with my current system and extend its investment.

Appears that monitoring must be the revenue goal for now.

Hi Carver, the service team is actually working on getting that ticked off as we speak. There are certain “service” level integration with Noonlight that needs to be qualified and tested before we’re able to get that cost savings for our customers. Hopefully that answers your question. Thank you all again for the great commentary and engagement for these new devices,

4 Likes

Hey! In our current configuration, it wasn’t designed for water level monitoring in the sense of being able to tell if your water level is a couple inches higher or lower. It was designed and tested to be as reliable of a 0 or 1 device as possible. However, I can see a mount or adhesive assembly of some sort to leverage the 0 or 1 notification to tell you if the water level has gone up or down past a certain level and maybe turn on a light bulb when that does happen :slight_smile: Long story short, no, but the Wyze community has been able to find smart and creative solutions for their own use case.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time for these great responses. It is very much appreciated!

You guys did a great job with these new devices. I am definitely going to be buying several more now that I have tested them and know I really like them! I look forward to you continuing to expand things as you indicated above. Keep up the great work.

3 Likes

Thank you for the response… I am not opposed to tinkering and possibly losing a probe in efforts :wink:

I appreciate you jumping back in the discussion and providing your insight.

4 Likes

@revsamarshall The probes are back in stock. I’ll wait to order some so I don’t single handedly deplete the stock… Like what happened to me yesterday trying to buy a pair of the Jordan Mid 1s in light smoke Grey and white :rage:

Kidding (not about the shoes but the probes), I only wanted a few more, but get them while they are there!

1 Like

I look forward to hearing your findings of your tinkering! If the reverse sensing works well. I think the best option is to tell it to only notify you if it’s been clear for X amount of time in a row…then little waves and splashing won’t send random false alarms that it got low when it really didn’t.

Did you see the Probes are also back in stock now? (EDIT: Ha, nevermind, I just saw you just mentioned this right before I posted) I know you said you wished you had more of them. I love that probes are only $5 each! Not a big deal to lose a probe or 2 for such a good cause, eh? :slight_smile:

My only debate is whether to buy a bunch more of these sensors right now, or wait up to a month or so and see if there are any good discount codes or other things that come out around Black Friday again like last year when I ordered a bunch of stuff in bulk (Last year’s Black Friday actually got me to test Cam Plus for the first time ever, and now I have cam Plus on EVERY camera). I just don’t know if I can wait that long though. Plus it might be easier to place an order now, so when I place an order again around Black Friday it doesn’t look to my wife like I spent as much on my toys all at once. :rofl:

As a side-note, do probes count as a Wyze device in our contest of who has the most Wyze stuff? If so I might have to buy a few extra just to keep up! :rofl:

1 Like

I did, ordered 3 sets. I think I may take the casing off one to see it’s innards but still would like to monitor my hot tub water level over the winter with it.

I also have a climate sensor and leak sensor in the body of the Hot Tub as well to keep up with temps in the pump and hose space.

I would say the sensors are the smart piece, therefor the extended probe should not count as it is an add on? What do you think? We just need to lay the rules down in our Wyziest home showcase. :wink:

Starting to plan out my Wyze Basement… so be ready… 2k sq ft of unfinished basement. It’s a blank canvas my friend. I just need Wyze to make with the smart switches soon, smart outlets… (not plugs) would be nice as well.

1 Like

Sweet! If you take it apart take lots of pictures and do a new thread. Maybe a video too.

Yeah, I guess we can have 2 ways of tracking. Will have to update a shared spreadsheet template one of these days when I’ve finally installed everything in my new house.

1 Like

Just a short update, I finally installed a probe fully submerged in water in my cat’s drinking water fountain. I set the probe to sit just above the little pump/filter. I set a routine of Wyze rules for if it ever goes 5 minutes of being “clear” of a leak (no water connecting the probe contacts for 5 minutes straight), it will run a routine of turning a bunch of color bulbs a certain color so that everyone knows that the water level in the cat water is getting too low. It’s been fully submerged for almost 24 hours now and is working great. I initially had a routine to have a siren go off, but decided I didn’t want that happening while we slept :rofl: so I switched it to turning nearby color bulbs a certain color everyone will recognize the message for.

I’m excited. We had a previous fountain get ruined by going dry and ruining the fountain filter/pump. This leak detector probe will resolve that issue, And because the leak probe cord is so long, I was able to stick the main unit right underneath a group of pipes and drains so it can do double duty and notify me if the main unit senses a leak too.

I was wondering if it would work okay like this, but my tests so far show it’s totally fine and working great like this…the main unit making sure things stay dry, and the probe making sure the pet water area stays wet to a high enough level. I love it! I hated feeling like I had to constantly keep checking up on the pet water to make sure my daughter was filling it up like she agreed to so it doesn’t get ruined and so the pets stay alive! A small weight lifted off my stress load (and wasted time) is priceless.

5 Likes

If you want reliability, I’d still seal the non-IP rated sensor cable entry point with some silicone rubber, like RTV.

3 Likes