Wyze leak detector - how are you using these?

I am a bit fuzzy on how Wyze’s leak sensors function. Can someone enlighten me on how they have applied these for use, or how they detect a leak? Does the Wyze leak detector have some electrically conductive material along the bottom of it which completes a circuit once water migrates under it?
And on the probes, where exactly is this impossible-to-reach place, and do they work differently than the sensor?

I am considering using these in my garage where I have two well pumps, and several tanks for various parts of my water treatment system. Unfortunately, everything is up on a curb against some drywall, and I’m afraid if a leak occurs, it will go unnoticed and cause significant damage. I have some “rope” leak detectors, but they only have a local audible alarm.

The Wyze Leak detector has 2 metal contacts on the bottom and the probe has te same but on the end of the wire. You will be alerted if the probe senses a leak or if the base detects a leak,

A leak is detected when water or a conductive fluid seaps under the probe or detector and completes the circuit. When this happens, you will be notified so you can turn the water off. I believe Wyze is working on a mechanism to turn the house water off if a leak is detected. but for now, you will be alerted.

Here is a link @R.Good posted:

2 Likes

You also asked how people are using these in your title. I have 9 of them, and so far they are deployed like so:

Garage Water Main
Was afraid the valve might start dripping.

Water Heater (body)/Garage Drain (probe)
Have had a water heater die by leak twice, and I was curious is the garage drain was ever used (which could also be an indication of a leak).

Washing Machine (body)/Front Faucet (probe)
Had washers hoses break before and spray water all over the room. Now THAT is an emergency, lol. Also, this is right next to the front yard faucet, which can break the internal wall hose connecting to it if you have something connected to the faucet outdoors over the winter. So the probe is actually behind the dryer, which is only separated from the front faucet by a drywall.

My Toilet
Had some seals start leaking before. Also a toilet feeder valve there.

My Bath R Sink (main)/Rear Faucet (probe)
This is right next to the rear patio faucet, which can break the internal wall hose connecting to it if you have something connected to the faucet over the winter.

Main Toilet
To monitor the seals and feeder valve.

Main Bath L Sink
This is the sink that gets used the most.

Kitchen Sink
Garbage disposal seals, etc.

Refrigerator
Had 2-gallon water bottles spring leaks before.

I put all of these in a group called “Leak Sensor Group” to cut down on clutter, and created rules to sound the clerestory window V3 siren if a leak is detected by any of them. Also, it sounds the siren a second time if the problem hasn’t been addressed in 10 minutes.

I wish I could apply the rules to the group, would have saved me a lot of work! I would have said if ANY leak detector in the group senses a leak, sound the siren. :slight_smile:

I still am considering:

• Dishwasher (not in use ATM because seals leak, lol)
  • My Bath L Sink (not used as much as the R Sink)
  • Main Bath R Sink (not used as much as the L Sink)
2 Likes

You are correct, thanks for pointing that our.

I have the following - 8 in total:

• 1 Leak and Probe under Washing Machine
  • 1 Leak Sensor at Water Heater
  • 1 Leak and Probe at Dishwasher and Sink
  • 2 Leak Sensors under Guest Bathroom Sinks (2 sinks)
  • 1 Leak Sensor at water line to Toilet in Guest Bathroom
  • 1 Leak Sensor at water line to Toilet in Main bathroom
  • 1 Leak Sensor at Main Bathroom Sink
1 Like

I have many of the same as @Newshound and @spamoni and have also expanded since the first impression thread.

Window sill in basement - Water likes to seep to the low ground
All Sinks, and Water Valves in the house have one near, so Sinks Toilets, you name it.
Hot Tub Casing - I have 2, which equals 4 with probes in my hot tub casing to monitor for any kind of leakage.
Back Door in the garage The wind and Rain come in from the direction my door is facing and sometime can seep through the threshold in heavier weather.
Next to tubs little ones bathe in - cause they still splash or not put the shower curtain across properly no matter how many times you tell them.

I have a Battalion of leak sensors. They are everywhere. I plan on more… thinking under the tub drains if I ever have to poke holes in the ceiling… I will make a little access door. Yes, I have had a drain pipe break on a second floor tub once.

2 Likes

If you need something to automatically turn off water valves you might want to research YoLink:

1 Like

Yea, I’ve been looking into these. And based on a recent questionnaire, I gather Wyze could be looking into coming out with their own in the future.

1 Like

I have 3 of these sensors currently setup, with 3 more purchased but I haven’t yet deployed. I have one at the main water line into my house from my well. The main line is in a boxed area of my basement with the pressure tack for my well there too. I have a probe attached to that unit running out the box and sitting underneath the water filtration unit. I have another leak sensor at the edge my hot water tank and a third under the upstairs bathroom sink. I had set these up but hadn’t turned on any rules for them. I had a leak at the main line from my well but hadn’t gotten any notification that I saw. I have since set up a rule that if the sensor detects a leak a Wyze plug gets turned on. That plug has a small strobe light attached to it, so if I see that strobe is on I know I have a problem somewhere. I plan to put my other 3 out soon, and likely buy more. The costly fail points were covered first and then the other water use points from oldest to newest are being covered.

My use case is for a whirlybird roof vent that may occasionally leak in heavy rain. I had previously setup some boards that can hold a bucket in my attic. I’ve now added a Wyze leak sensor… and it worked today.

PROTIP: I’d recommend everyone have some boards and a bucket ready-to-go.

1 Like