Wyze Home Monitoring System should call more than one (1) phone number

The Wyze system will call one phone number you provide. If no answer, Noonlight (which promises 24/7 monitoring by real people) will then call your local police. That might be OK in some towns, but I live in Los Angeles. The LAPD does not respond to burglar alarms. However, the LAPD might fine the homeowner $316 unless the homeowner can prove it was NOT a false alarm. (The fine for every subsequent false alarm increases by $100.) Like most of my neighbors, I pay a private security company that patrols the neighborhood and promises “Armed Response” to alarms. (They work with other companies’ monitoring systems as well as their own.) Unfortunately, the Wyze/Noonlight monitors will not call my Armed Patrol and Response Security Company. After the one phone call to me, the next call is the local police. I did discover a workaround by keeping the system in “Test” mode so it doesn’t call the police.
I have the “ring” system installed, and it is a much better system. “Ring” will call the 1st number, if no answer they’ll call a 2nd number, if no answer they will call the 3rd number, which in my case is the Armed Patrol Security company phone number I provided in the on-line setup. (I also have a “traditional” alarm system at my business. They’ll call 6 or 8 numbers before sending their own armed patrol officer.) Also within the “ring” app, there’s an option to specify to either call the police, or do not call the police unless I request it while on the phone with them. In brief: Noonlight should call at least 3 numbers (one of which could be a private armed patrol). And we customers should have the option to specify whether or not Noonlight will call the police.

Here is some info from a recent Reddit AMA.

5 Likes

thanks, same here on the request for alternate numbers. I will not cancel my ADT until I know that I can use a 2nd number, especially when out of town or country. The 2nd call number has saved the police or fire department being called out because I was out of the country or unavailable.

1 Like

This is an absolute necessity for ANY home security system. It is completely useless without it. I’m shocked that this is missing after I already purchased and installed the system.

Totally agree, the system is useless without alternate numbers. You can’t really enable monitoring on this system until this problem is corrected.

I had originally requested that Noonlight call more than one phone number (including for example the homeowner’s private security company) and not call the local police. An incident occurred in my area last week that illustrates the problem. Last week a vagrant who is probably mentally ill, got into an ordinary house in the Bel Air neighborhood of Los Angeles. He killed the children’s parakeets, showered, and walked around naked like he owned the place. After confronting the intruder who refused to leave, the homeowner jumped off a 2nd floor balcony and called the police and the private security company, ACS. (This story went viral nation-wide on the TV news, probably because there’s so much weird video. Google “naked intruder Bel Air” for news coverage.) The homeowner told me that ACS armed patrol officers got there within 20 minutes and apprehended the intruder. (A burglar would have been long gone in 20 minutes, but this mental case would not leave.) According to the homeowner, the LAPD did not get there for another 35 minutes after ACS detained the intruder. In other words, the LAPD got multiple emergency calls from the homeowners and the security company that an intruder was in their home and it took LAPD almost an hour to show up. This wasn’t a slow response to a Wyze burglar alarm that might be a false alarm. This is the LAPD taking almost an hour to respond to 911 calls from the homeowners that “an intruder is in my house right now!” If a Wyze alarm is triggered, there is no point in Noonlight calling the LAPD, but a private security patrol might get there in time to apprehend a burglar.

There are instances when I am not near my phone orbit doesn’t have the best reception. It would be nice if there was an option to add a secondary contact to the home monitoring services. For instance, if I do not respond to the text or push alert, when the alarm is triggered, the secondary contact would be be attempted to be reached prior to dispatching emergency services.