Wyze Home Monitoring Service with keypad, sensors, and 911 dispatch

Received the system and setup, used for a few days now, here’s some feedbacks

1. [critical] this is a family operated system, function sharing, admin/child role setup, individual pin setup is essential for it to be used by the whole family.

2. [high priority] the arming delay chime is way too annoying, you don’t have to replicate but check out how google does it, basically just a voice announcing “you have 1 minutes to exit”. then a couple voice reminder at 30sec, 10 sec mark. then maybe beep a couple times in the last 5 seconds. The current constant beeping is very annoying and make wife upset which essentially render this system unusable. P.S. this is fine for entry delay, but something calmer with voice instructions will be better.

3. [Mid priority] integration, google/alexa/home assistant/smarthings etc. this matters not only for user friendliness but also for product adoption. Before bed I want to use 1 action to close garages, lock doors, arm security, play music, etc instead of opening multiple apps to do things 1 by 1

4. [Low priority] again referencing google nest secure, I’m not sure if this is possible but their keypad can scan individual fobs to allow/log entry instead of inputting pins.

Otherwise the product feels good overall, new sensor feels high quality, just a bit on the larger side. ethernet jack on the hub is a great touch, although I’m not sure how many family has ethernet jack near the door entrance which I assume is where this should be placed. aaa batteries hopefully means last forever for the sensor, that’s to be tested over time.

One thing I’m not sure about is to have a separate keypad and hub, which means there’s one more device to keep track of battery, and need to stick it to somewhere on the wall, etc. Maybe I’m biased from the google nest secure but I feel like having the keypad built in to the hub is a no brainer for both manufacture and user, less device to make for wyze, less device to manager by the user. I guess time will tell if this is better or worse or doesn’t matter, I don’t see this being an issue anyway.

1 Like

Isn’t the hub supposed to be put somewhere not very accessible? Otherwise isn’t that a prime item for an intruder to knock out and if they haven’t tripped the alarm by some other means, then they can walk right out the door with the flatscreen?

| binzhu1070
April 20 |

• | - |

Received the system and setup, used for a few days now, here’s some feedbacks

1. [critical] this is a family operated system, function sharing, admin/child role setup, individual pin setup is essential for it to be used by the whole family.

2. [high priority] the arming delay chime is way too annoying, you don’t have to replicate but check out how google does it, basically just a voice announcing “you have 1 minutes to exit”. then a couple voice reminder at 30sec, 10 sec mark. then maybe beep a couple times in the last 5 seconds. The current constant beeping is very annoying and make wife upset which essentially render this system unusable. P.S. this is fine for entry delay, but something calmer with voice instructions will be better.

3. [Mid priority] integration, google/alexa/home assistant/smarthings etc. this matters not only for user friendliness but also for product adoption. Before bed I want to use 1 action to close garages, lock doors, arm security, play music, etc instead of opening multiple apps to do things 1 by 1

4. [Low priority] again referencing google nest secure, I’m not sure if this is possible but their keypad can scan individual fobs to allow/log entry instead of inputting pins.

Otherwise the product feels good overall, new sensor feels high quality, just a bit on the larger side. ethernet jack on the hub is a great touch, although I’m not sure how many family has ethernet jack near the door entrance which I assume is where this should be placed. aaa batteries hopefully means last forever for the sensor, that’s to be tested over time.

One thing I’m not sure about is to have a separate keypad and hub, which means there’s one more device to keep track of battery, and need to stick it to somewhere on the wall, etc. Maybe I’m biased from the google nest secure but I feel like having the keypad built in to the hub is a no brainer for both manufacture and user, less device to make for wyze, less device to manager by the user. I guess time will tell if this is better or worse or doesn’t matter, I don’t see this being an issue anyway.

I don’t think that’s the case, even though no one prevents you to do so I guess. The hub itself is an additional motion sensor that can trigger alarm, so should be somewhere close the the front entrance whereas the additional motion sensor can monitor a separate part of the house. It also has battery power back up and should be able to function enough time before being completely disabled by the intruder. I obviously didn’t test this but I’m assuming if I smash this into pieces while it’s armed it should be able to trigger alarm and notify the remote monitoring service.

That being said, as I mentioned in the original post it has an ethernet jack, I’m tempted to put it in my office where it can be connected to that because I try to connect things by wire if at all possible, tv, sound bar, playstation, nintendo switch and even laptop if it’s docked. If I do that the hub will just be a motion sensor for my office which is fine also I guess.

Thanks for the info. Mine hasn’t arrived yet since I ordered extras with it so I don’t know its configuration.

| binzhu1070
April 20 |

• | - |

I don’t think that’s the case, even though no one prevents you to do so I guess. The hub itself is an additional motion sensor that can trigger alarm, so should be somewhere close the the front entrance whereas the additional motion sensor can monitor a separate part of the house. It also has battery power back up and should be able to function enough time before being completely disabled by the intruder. I obviously didn’t test this but I’m assuming if I smash this into pieces while it’s armed it should be able to trigger alarm and notify the remote monitoring service.

That being said, as I mentioned in the original post it has an ethernet jack, I’m tempted to put it in my office where it can be connected to that because I try to connect things by wire if at all possible, tv, sound bar, playstation, nintendo switch and even laptop if it’s docked. If I do that the hub will just be a motion sensor for my office which is fine also I guess.

The Wyze hub is only a hub. It does not have an integrated motion sensor.

I would like to request that more than one user be allowed to access the mobile control panel for the home monitoring. I share my home with my wife and would not have purchased if I knew only I could control. When I’m out of town, there isn’t much I can do to protect the home (please let me know if I’m wrong). Other than that, I really enjoy it.

1 Like

At launch, Wyze said in the FAQS (and clarified in the announcement thread) that they are working on a role-based sharing option for the HMS, it just wasn’t going to be ready immediately. So it is something they are already working on.

just got mine today. fedex delivery. was going to set it up tomorrow, but while looking at all the doodads in the box, i apparently touched the reset button to turn it on with the hub talking to me and verbally telling me to start the setup. LOL. oh well. did the activation on the hub and only set up the keypad and the motion sensor. despite what anyone else says, me really like the keypad separate from the hub. have the hub sitting with all my internet gear on top of our living room cabinet. and the keypad goes right next to our home’s heater thermostat control on the wall in the middle hallway going towards the inside door to the garage. still have to permanently install the motion sensor – most likely to go on the staircase post in the middle of our house’s first floor area. the entryway sensors to go on front door and sliding back door. now really want a couple more sensors – or at least one additional motion sensor to put in the garage. linked the cams for the front door, back sliding door, and driveway cam to the hub.

personally appreciate that this has professional monitoring. that’s what sold me on getting this. because, although still have to talk to my insurance agency, me expecting a discount on our homeowner’s property insurance that would at least pay for this if not be more of a larger discount to hopefully also cover my combined cam plus costs – or maybe cross-my-fingers for more like to additionally cover my wyze cams. haha whatever.

setting up this HMS was really simple to do and reminds me of the simple setup for a rinky dinky set-it-up-yourself sears alarm system that my dad had bought decades ago that only had magnet sensors. but this wyze system is of course so much better and yet very easy to set up and so very affordable.

I see that when ordering your Sense V2 starter kit you can add additional sensors to the kit, After you receive the kit can we order additional sensors alone, so we can expand our system?

FYI: this is about the boring part about getting the permit for my new toy. fun to set up and activate and play with. then realized that need a security alarm permit. so, i was filing out an online form for getting the security alarm permit in my city. the city is basically closed to me to walk in and personally file and pay for a permit at city hall because of covid crazytimes. so go online to get the permit application filed and paid online. $28.75 to get the permit. would seem easy enough to do online, right? well, looks to me that a lot of cities have outsource their security alarm permit processing to PM AM FAM in Irving Texas – and filling out their online form is horrible to navigate on a mobile browser like chrome on android (haven’t tried safari on iphone) and ended up using the puffin browser but with a bit of pushing and pulling on my phone’s screen even if in desktop mode. of course, probably better on pc windows or mac. anyways, when get to the part about the alarm installation and alarm monitoring, the pulldown menu of a very long list of available alarm companies does not include NOONLIGHT (or wyze). maybe because this is all too new. the online form says to call their 800 number if unknown cannot find the company. so me have to call if want to somehow complete the form online, but my guess it would turn into a telephonic order. SO, me thinking it may be easier to fill out a printed-out PDF form filled manually with an ink pen, and where me can write down “SELF-INSTALL” in the alarm installation company blanks and put in the NOONLIGHT address and phone in the alarm monitoring company blanks – and mailing that in with a check. anyways, thought me should mention this possible extra legalese permit nonsense that people may have to deal with.

1 Like

I preordered a Home Monitoring System base kit without calculating how many additional sensors I would need for my home. I figured they could be purchased separately after receiving the kit. Apparently that is in the works, but I wanted to express my interest in purchasing additional sensors.

2 Likes

Same jmbaker

1 Like

Yeah, that is frustrating. There is a loophole, though it would be better to not have to do it. If you get desperate enough the loophole is as follows:

Wyze offers a 30 day money back return policy, so you can do this at no extra cost: Order ANOTHER core starter kit with the HMS service AGAIN…then order all the extra sensors you want/need.

When your order arrives, contact customer service within 30 days and initiate the 30-day return policy on the second core starter kit and the second HMS subscription. But keep all your extra sensors.

You will get a refund for the starter kit and HMS subscription, and get to keep the extra sensors as if you were allowed to order them without a second starter kit. Problem [mostly] solved.

Disclaimer: I am not totally sure if they refund the shipping costs from the initial order, so you might lose out a little on that. I am not sure how they break that down or IF they refund shipping too. You’d have to ask someone who has done a 30-day return before if they refund shipping/taxes too. I’ve never personally done it, as I’ve always wanted to keep all the items I’ve ordered. :slight_smile:

If I were Wyze I would allow separate orders for individual sensors to HMS customers now so that they aren’t wasting a bunch of money in 30-day returns of starter kits pointlessly.

1 Like

I sad the same issue. Reached out to noonlight and was told it would be Acadian Monitoring Services as the monitoring company.

1 Like

actually you are right, I was just confused because of the placement of the provided sensor

1 Like

Hey actually someone corrected me, the hub is not a sensor. I got confused by my own setup.

I would like the ability to have my wife arm and disarm the alarm from her phone app. Also have a second contact number.

2 Likes

I have a request for 3 types of additional sensors for the Home Monitoring solution:

1. Smoke/Fire detectors
  2. Carbon Dioxide detectors
  3. Glass break detectors
1 Like

+1 on the arming delay chime is way too annoying,

linking a thread about that Turning Sound down on Home Security Hub

1 Like

Yes me too, simple connection would work I would think.

1 Like