Wyze Home Monitoring: Self Monitored Mode ASAP

What, seriously?

Self monitoring would be great and I would definitely purchase if this was available!

2 Likes

Yup…test mode isn’t available without the subscription. It is a mode within HMS.

1 Like

I think perhaps Carver mentioned this before. So is it essentially useless without a paid subscription?

Naw, without the subscription the V2 sensors are still awesome and will still work the same way the V1’s do. You can still set up our own rules and automations and notifications, including schedules. You can even connect them to rules to set off a siren on a cam when a sensor opens or detects motion. There’s quite a lot you can do without the subscription while they just work as normal sensors. I used mine for 2 weeks before I even activated my subscription (and even considered going months without it…but since it’s there I figured I might as activate it anyway even if I hardly use it) and they all worked great with great reliability and a WAY BETTER signal -stronger and more stable. Honestly they’re totally fine without using the subscription, and not just fine, but pretty good, much better than the V1’s in practically every single way except that they are basically twice the size.

The subscription just gives you some convenience of

1. Allowing the hub to work as a siren
  2. Allowing use of the Keypad(s)
  3. Access to Noonlight and emergency features if that’s something you want (I don’t)
  4. An easy way to arm/disarm without having to manually set up all your own customized rules and such…and easier for family to use it too (because of the keypads…though the HMS can’t be shared on the app yet).
  5. Discount off Home Insurance for some people…which can potentially make it free anyway.
  6. Easy access to financially support your local Law Enforcement by paying them extortion money in crazy high false alarm fees. :rofl:

The test mode is okay, but needs to be improved A LOT. A lot of other improvements are needed. There could be some other great benefits, but those are the main ones off the top of my head. I think the sensors are awesome to use just as sensors. I only use like 3 of them for my HMS subscription and I have a ton of others that are just regular sensors not part of the HMS at all with customized rules and schedules and automation conveniences. They’re awesome. DEFINITELY useful even without a paid subscription. But if they add a lot more value to the subscription, I could potentially consider getting it again, especially now that I can modify schedules and rules for it through Home Assistant, including Geofencing and such. Makes it actually more useful while waiting for Wyze to get around to adding those features.

1 Like

For me it’s not just a question of whether sensors work. This is beyond the mailbox flag monitoring stage. If I’m buying it as an actual alarm system I would want it to notify me and multiple family members of critical intrusions, preferably via multiple means (SMS, voice telephone, e-mail, and app notification, in descending order of importance).

If it requires an app or only notifies one person then it’s just too unreliable to use for security purposes.

1 Like

I agree with your comments as far as being a security alarm is concerned (though I have a different order of alert preferences).

My response was simply based on the question of whether the V2 sensors had any value without a paid subscription. :slight_smile:

Also, if you’re technically inclined you can mimic a good security system without a subscription (ie: through home assistant solutions)

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience with the V2 system, this is very helpful. I follow everything you’re saying, but before I purchase the new V2 sensors want to confirm… if I do not activate/pay for the subscription, I can still get notifications to my phone when doors, windows, etc. open/close from the V2 sensors, just like the V1 system now? Does this still require the V2 hub to be connected (vs. the bridge I currently use)?
Also, any experience with the new water sensors? Hoping these would also work to at least send notifications to my phone without paying for HMS.

Correct, as of this moment, the V2 sensors will only connect to the new V2 Hub. Wyze has indicated that in the future they will probably allow V2 sensors to connect to the V1 Bridge, but they updated this later to say not at this time. I assume they are testing out a firmware update on the bridge, but that they aren’t ready to release it yet. People on home assistant have confirmed that they were able to connect V2 sensors to the V1 bridge (not through Wyze), so we know it is definitely possible to allow and do, Wyze just hasn’t allowed it through their system directly yet.

So, if you want to V2 sensors to work (with Wyze), you currently have to connect them to a V2 Hub. Honestly, the Hub is GREAT. It has an AWESOME reliable signal/connection. WAY better than the bridge ever was. I used to need 2 bridges to cover my whole house, and now I only need the Hub and all my sensors (both V1 and V2) are so reliable and awesome in comparison to when I used the 2 Bridges. I highly recommend it, it has reduced my stress and frustration I had with the bridges. I am very satisfied.

And correct that even if you cancel or never activate the subscription, the V2’s will still allow you to set up and receive notifications to your phone when doors, windows, etc open or close (for contact sensors) or the motion sensors sense or clear motion. All of that works without a subscription even right now.

I have no personal experience with the new water/leak sensors yet though I have preordered a bunch of them, I just have not received them yet. However, Wyze already publicly announced that you can use the leak sensors without a subscription too. They do require that you have the V2 Hub to activate or connect them to, but you aren’t required to have the HMS subscription active to use them. So just like the other sensors, you can definitely get leak/water notifications to your phone even without the subscription.

Updates? How long is the road on that roadmap?

4 Likes

As an international customer, I really enjoy Wyze products and bought the monitoring system with the intention to use it as an alarm system without the convenience of remote monitoring as is available in the US. Unfortunately this is not possible. I know it is not possible for Wyze to have agreements all over the world but at least allow us to get an alarm on the App.

3 Likes

I can’t find it on the Roadmap :frowning:

Where is the roadmap?

cc: @WyzeRyan

1 Like

The roadmap on the forum can be found below, but I am guessing they have it on an internal roadmap. Usually this post will be moved from the wishlist to the roadmap when it gets closer.

Yeah that’s really just a subcategory of implemented wishlist items as far as I know, not really a formal product development roadmap. Only known itches are being scratched there.

The alarm system only functions with a subscription to Noonlight but as an international customer, it makes no sense for me to have this service since Noon light cannot dispatch police to my home. I suggest that for a lower fee you allow notifications to go to 5 or so numbers so the alarm triggers local numbers so we can enjoy the safety of the alarm feature as well.

1 Like

Wait. WHAT?

2 Likes

Can’t really self-monitor without decoupling the sensors and hub from HMS plus provide additional features in the app.

Hey now that looks like great news? Oh wait, is that just a spin on regular CamPlus with no sensor or hub components? Honestly confused.

You forgot something

True to Wyze Too Good To Be True fashion, it’s only $4.99 a month.