Wyze Garage Door Controller - First Impression

When you trigger the button to close are you presented with the count down timer and the strobe or does nothing happen at all?

1 Like

The count down times starts and the strobe blinks then the door starts to close and it stops. It’s almost as if someone or something is blocking the safety sensors at the bottom of the door opening. So I disconnected these and tried again. Still the same.

Have you tried recalibrating it? No idea if that will make it a difference. But after checking the safety sensors, that’s the next thing I would try. I’d assume it’s not the sensors, as the door would reverse and open all the way if they were triggered. If it’s just stopping, then I’m assuming it’s another issue.

Also - how far does it go before stopping? Is it possible the close limit settings on the motor need to be readjusted?

1 Like

What is the controller firmware version you are currently on?

Test with your regular button. Open the door, then press and hold the button for two whole seconds and see if it acts the same as the Wyze box does. Recent firmware made the press 2 seconds long.

I believe you saw this thread but linking here in case anyone else finds there way to this thread as a point of troubleshooting for anyone having this issue.

Tried this. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the issue. For good measure I disconnected the door safety sensors and still have the same issue with the Wyze controller

Tried this. Unfortunately this does not appear to be the issue. For good measure I disconnected the door safety sensors and still have the same issue with the Wyze controller

Just installed mine and it is working great! Does anyone know if there is a way to trigger the door to open when you get within a certain distance?

Hi @bryanbuck

This capability does not exist today. But there is a wishlist item for it. Give it a vote!

1 Like

Ok I will!

[Mod Edit]

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

What about opening/closing with Alexa?

1 Like

Well, as you know the Wyze GDC does not have Alexa. Someone says its coming.

1 Like

Yes, there is. I don’t have the skill set to perform the trigger hack.

If you look around, here and via Google, for the Sonoff SV version of a Dry Relay, and then add the hack. The hack was/is posted on Github. I had it, but I could not get in my head the method for performing the Tasmoto firmware change. The firmware adds a WiFi geofence feature. I can’t explain it beyond that. Sorry, but the techique does exists. As I recall now, there was a YouTube video by someone that performed. Sorry, I know this is a half-fast explanation for your requirement. I simply wanted to re-enforce for you, that you are not dreaming up something impossible. Its been done.

I’ll spend some time trying to find more references for this for you guys.

WYZE TEK support says Alexa it’s coming, but that’s been a while . Funny thing is that their door lock works with Alexa, you simply give it the pin # when asked. Works like a charm. I don’t know what their hang-up is. Keep needling them.

@R.Good , @carverofchoice, @WildBill, any/some of you guys that have the Wyze GDC should check out this app tool “LiveKey”. Its capable of engaging GeoFencing on My Q GDCs. And its also has Wyze as one of its partners. Maybe the Wyze GDC will pop up as a choice after the service is linked. Cameras do not, but other Wyze stuff does. I am guessing the controller in GDC will even though the camera does not.

That is cool. It looks like it is iOS-only though :sob: Luckily I do have an old iOS phone on the way so I will be able to test this then…

Wish it was in Android…now I’m going to have @cyberdog_17 rubbing it in that iOS has another cool thing Android doesn’t have yet. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for sharing @Sam_Bam

2 Likes

Look, I am sorry to praise other vendors’ products. But no one vendor makes a product that is perfect for everything we want. I really like Wyze. I like their cameras, I like their Sense V1. But there’s stuff I don’t like too.

Before the Wyze GDC, I have been using a hacked Sonoff Basic device for years. Cost me $6. Open/Close Voice and app control. And I only recently swapped the Basic out for the RF version of the Basic that I hacked to add 433 Remote capability to my GDC. Love having voice, app, manual, Flic 2 button, NFC tag and generic remote methods of opening my GDoor.

I tried Nexx and Meross and didn’t like/need their PIN to open requirement (which I believe Amazon imposed on them). Then I found this Yolink door sensor. any/some of you guys that have the Wyze GDC should check out this app tool “LiveKey”. Its capable of engaging GeoFencing on My Q GDCs. And its also has Wyze as one of its partners. Maybe the Wyze GDC will pop up as a choice after the service is linked. Cameras do not, but other Wyze stuff does. I am guessing the controller in GDC will even though the camera does not. Works great. Just reports the status of the door, regardless of how it opened or closed. Has granularity that allows me to get an accurate status and a reminder. Darn cheap, but does require their $20ish hub. But once you get the hub, there’s all kinds of other stuff, you will love too. And they have two versions of GDCs that can help you regardless of your GDO model. And I have three repurposed Wyze V2’s in my garage to insure I can see what goes on.

Wyze agrees with you. In fact, I recall that they admit this in their Reddit rules:

1. Don’t Just Advertise for Other Products

Sometimes product comparison is important to a discussion and Wyze’s first priority is to get the needs of the user met. We know that our camera won’t be perfect for everyone so if someone has a problem feel free to make a recommendation! Just don’t post solely for the sake of advertising another product. That’s rude. :frowning:

They are understanding of that. What you are doing to provide information and help out is very different from someone spamming and advertising and intentionally trying to hurt the company. Especially since you are recommending people look into LiveKey which appears to be able to work with Wyze devices (not necessarily competing AGAINST them in that way). Wyze is pretty reasonable when it comes to us giving alternative recommendations that aren’t Wyze, and I totally understand what they mean by that rule on Reddit.

1 Like