Wyze Garage Door Controller - Compatibility with More Door Openers

While incredibly broad the Wyze Garage Door Controller does not seem compatible with an Overhead Door Odyssey 1000.

[Mod Edit]: Title and request text modified to enhance search clarity.

MODERATOR NOTE:

This topic’s title has been modified so that it can include all garage door openers not currently supported by the Wyze Garage Door Controller.

Requested support for Garage Door Openers:

• Overhead Door - Odyssey 1000
  • Chamberlain - D2101
  • Liftmaster - 8550W
  • Genie - GS850 (note special requirement)

If you have a an opener that is not currently compatible, please add a reply here for consideration by the development team.

Hi jwoodard33, thank you for your feedback! Have you tried using the terminal shorting method to confirm the compatibility?

2 Likes

My garage door openers do not have screw terminals for the control wires. They just stick into the connection block.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Check step 2 on the Wyze Garage Door Controller Compatibility Checker webpage.

3 Likes

Thanks that worked.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

I’m currently using a competitor’s remote garage opener and going to switch to Wyze. I’m having the same scenario that my garage opener itself is not compatible by default.

However, I found a hack to the scenario but it requires some DIY skills. First, you need to buy a regular garage opener remote, then with some soldering, connect garage opener’s control wires to the remote, so that the wires will short the button on it. Problem solved.

There might be some pre-made remote mentioned in the previous step but I can’t find any online. If anyone has a similar problem you can try it, those regular remotes only costs like $10 each.

1 Like

Chamberlain D2101, yellow learning button and shorting does not work.

Just confirming… were you able to get your Garage Door Controller working with your Overhead Door Odyssey 1000?

No I have two kinds of opener. This was a Lift Master with a purple learn button. I will try the overhead door tomorrow when I get home.

1 Like

Liftmaster 8550W with yellow learning button cannot be shorted in the described manner.

I was 4 days from receiving my Garage controller when I was able to determine that, and was able to cancel my Amazon order in time.

I would dearly love to be able to use the same app to view cameras and open/close the garage within it.

1 Like

Many of us that don’t have a GDO that allows us to short it, still can use the Wyze GDC. The way includes adding wires to the button inside a spare remote. Then test those two wires by shorting them to trip your remote. If that works for you, then you simply use the Wyze GDC wires and attach them to the remotes external wires. I think more detailed instructions and pictures are shown in this thread or another thread here as a “how to”

1 Like

I have an old Genie GS850 garage door opener that requires the garage door button to be pressed once to open and twice to close the door. As it stands, the Wyze garage door controller can open the door but it cannot close it. This is because the app has a built-in 5 second delay when the close door button is pressed so the button can not be pressed twice in quick succession to close the door.

Thanks for the tip, but I got my electrical engineering degree from a Cheerios box and I want a product designed for plug and play before I trust myself to use it.

1 Like

For others checking this wishlist in the future, I just wanted give you a workaround for now…and Maybe Wyze could even sell their own universal remote control that is already wired to support this, but I also have a Garage Door that is “Incompatible” with the Wyze GDC…but thanks to the following thread, I was able to wire the GDC to a remote control and now the Wyze GDC actually opens and closes my Garage just fine:

Granted that is not an official Wyze solution, but I can now use this product on my “Incompatible” Liftmaster Garage door that has a yellow learn button. So, there may be others in here that would be interested in checking out that thread too since it made it possible for me.

2 Likes

Have you received any response? Just saw Wyze Garage Door, and would liked to have one but I too have the Chamberlain D2101, and it has the yellow button.

Nope, i got nothing back.

Chamberlain HBW7675 with Round Yellow Learn button. Shorting method attempted with no results.

@jwoodard33: Liftmaster 8500
But I suggest the team works towards more general compatibility with garage door openers with yellow learning buttons. I currently use a Meross opener with an accessory (RGR551C) [How to use the smart garage door opener accessory RGR551C-ACCESSORY?] which should also work with Wyze. If you want to send me a Wyze controller to test if it works with the RGR551C, let me know. :smiley: But I think the accessory is a simple opener remote that’s triggered by a short; how would that not work with Wyze? How would that also not work with all other incompatible models? How would that not work for all models, in general?

Garage door

I should have checked a little closer on the Wyze kit for my garage doors. Apparently if you have a yellow button on your garage door opener the open/close feature will not work. I’m so disappointed… I should have just used a camera
Now I have to invest in another system other than Wyze.
Read and check before you buy.

Some of us actually hooked the GDC up to a Garage Door Controller and it seems to work well. Myself and others have this in place and it will trigger the open and close via the remote.

Here is the link:

Wyze Garage Door Opener Hack – Not Compatible Chamberlain C203 - Tips & Tricks - Wyze Forum

2 Likes