Wyze Floor Lamp Upgrades Your Craft or Comfy Zone - 4/13/21

I have been a lighting designer for over 30 years so my comments come from a history of experience. The latest data from the Illuminating Engineers Society (IES) suggests that the cooler the color temperature of the lamp, the higher the likelihood of it affecting the human circadian rhythm (sleep patterns), in other words, if you are using a lamp to read before bed, don’t use one with a color temperature above 3000K. Many communities have now banned cool temp street and area lights because of this. While 4100K will is not as bad as the higher cooler temps (5000k & 6500k), I would have preferred that you used color-tunable chips in the floor lamp so that the user could control the settings, I do understand the market you are targeting is a crafter or someone that needs a focused beam photometric pattern for performing task work. My suggestion for the future of this product is to have color-tunable even if only in the “white” spectrums of light. There are many LED Chips that produce both a high CRI (color rendering) and are tunable.

5 Likes

I also put it on my cart and did not check out.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely consider adding more options in the future generations.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Using a Wyze color bulb in a desk lamp

I was so close to ordering 2 of these lamps, but when I got to the checkout cart, the total with shipping was just under $100.
Unless you can get the shipping cost down, I won’t be a buyer.
TB

Totally agree - although I was able to get one in my cart, I couldn’t close the deal. Either the screen indicated the site was down for maintenance or it just kept spinning and spinning until I’d get a message that the hour was closed and try again in the next hour. Very frustrating considering I have multiple cams and subscriptions for Cam Plus. If this were the first product I was attempting to purchase, it would be the last since this experience gave left me with no faith in Wyze technology.

At the rate, the next product will cost $1.00!! Shipping will be 49.95 and monthly subscription might be $4.95. But it only cost $1.00.

Just wait until the products come out on Amazon then. Amazon and retail store prices are equal to wyze totals with shippping.
wyze cam v3 here is 23.99 + 5.99 shipping = 29.98
On Amazon it’s 29.98 with free shipping if you have prime.
It’s a safe bet that Amazon’s price for the lamp will be 43.98
Tax isn’t a consideration, because the rate varies by state, and every seller is required to charge it.
Actually the one way to consider tax is in most states shipping isn’t taxed, so the wyze price beats amazon and other retailers by a small amount. $0.54 for a v3, $1.26 for the lamp, if your tax rate is 9%

Yes this! It’s not that I don’t mind paying for shipping. With the exception of Amazon and Walmart, I pay for shipping with most companies I order from. But, when shipping is 50% of the cost of the product, that’s what leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

The other thing with the shipping is, that while Wyze has some of the highest shipping costs, the shipping is the worst. It’s one of the slowest, longest, that I deal with.

All that being said, I still ordered one. My wife has been wanting a floor lamp like this, so I did get her one. I’m just always left a little burned by the Wyze shipping costs.

2 Likes

Same here. Shipping cost was too high for me.

The outrage about shipping costs is just amusing. Folks, when buying a product you just need to look at the total cost (base price, sales tax, shipping/handling). It costs money to make the product and deliver it to you. No one is building you a lamp for free, and no one is transporting it to your doorstep for free. Anyone who ships you a product “for free” has built that cost into the product price. Look at the total cost of the lamp and decide if the total cost is reasonable. Don’t get distracted by the breakdown into product price and shipping.

And, yes, if you drive to Home Depot and pick it up, that generally isn’t free either (time, gas, wear & tear) unless you happen to go there anyway for another reason.

My “outrage” was jus a mention that the lack of a money-saving shipping option discouraged me from buying multiple units. It’s a new device, and I was willing to take a chance on two, but then realized there was no benefit, “cost-wyze”, to order two together. Rather, I can order one now, see if I like it, and then order another later. Or not.

So if Wyze was trying to tamp-down demand and sell fewer units, this worked perfectly. OTOH, if they are like a lot of manufacturers who strive to sell as many units as possible (at a profit, obviously) then they may want to rethink that approach. I understand consolidated shipping may be inconveneient for the Shipping Dept. Getting out of bed in the morning is also inconvenient.

2 Likes

Wyze may not be making money on the shipping but they are not sharing the cost either! Shipping costs from Wyze are ridiculous. I would love to see a break on shipping or even free shipping on preorders. This would encourage more of us to be the Guinea pigs for their new products.

Unfortunately I no longer will buy on pre-orders. You have to wait a long time and the shipping is expensive and slow. I wanted to support WYZE but now will wait until the product is available on Amazon and buy it there. It may be a few dollars more, but it arrives in a day or two./ Sorry Wyze, no longer are there products I MUST have the first day they are available. Customer service is more important to me and I will wait for Amazon availability.

1 Like

From the Wyze Floor Lamp FAQs:

Why is the shipping cost for Wyze Floor Lamp higher than usual?

The packaging for this product is large and bulky, as well as quite heavy (the whole package weighs about 12 lbs!).

Can I save on shipping costs by purchasing more than one at a time?

Unfortunately no, due to the unusually large and heavy size of these shipping boxes, the shipping rate for each unit is $13.99.

Have more questions? Take a look at the FAQ page!

3 Likes

I understand your feelings. But I will probably continue to pre-order Wyze products, In this case, when I saw the details of the lamp and then combine that with the shipping charges, I decided to pass. I just have no need for this product.

The webpage for the lamp has changed so does anyone know what gifts the people who have already pre-ordered the lamp will get?

The retro projector is down at the bottom of the lamp page now.
There is some confused wording on the page, at the top it says 20,000 preorders, and says preorder ends, price will go up and no gift after 20,000.
At the bottom where the projector is: projector is only for the first 20,000 out of 50,000 backers.

Agree with all the comments on shipping. It’s hard to understand how a lamp that weighs 5 pounds comes to 12lbs shipping. I was about to purchase but that shipping cost… Ouch.

1 Like

I bought the light even though shipping was $13.99. I almost did not buy it. I REALLY hope you change from fedEx to UPS. FedEx lost my preorder doorbells and almost lost my Vacuum. It took 18 days to get my vacuum because it accidentally got left in truck and it went from “ON truck for delivery” to “Back to the warehouse”. I called fedEx and they told me the shipper was responsible for reimbursement for shipping even though they admitted it was their fault. I did not call wyze for any reimbursement. I did not seem right.

I plan to use the floor lamp to make my GigaClocks

I have sold them to almost every state in US, Australia and Europe and I use UPS. Very Good service with almost NO lost shipments or damage.

3 Likes