Wyze Finally Works With Google Assistant!

Hi cdaraghy, I’ll pipe up with a summary AFAIK. It seems a little complicated but there is progress. V2 and Pan cams have been updated to Google’s new WebRTC architecture and display quickly with little latency on Google Nest Hubs and apparently very recently on the Hub Max. Wyze says this capability will be coming soon to Cam V3, Outdoor Cam, and Video Doorbell. I’m not seeing this via any Chromecast including the new CCwGTV.

The 4 hallmarks of the new WebRTC implementation are Fast loading of the stream, Little to no latency, and an Long duration of the streamed display. EDIT: Aaand a 4th feature is the ability to drag and two-finger zoom the displayed video.

Other than for the old Cam V1, Amazon Echo Shows 5, 8, 10, Spot and TV all have this good behavior too (and have for quite a while). I think the Shows are a bit faster to respond than the Hubs (maybe faster hardware or a different flavor of WebRTC) but it’s not tremedously noticeable. Don’t know myself about the Lenovo displays, but other forum members say the V2 cams WebRTC-stream to the Lenovo Smart Clock.

1 Like

Hey @Frederik. Hope you’ve had a good week so far.

Any update from Google’s side on the third party smart screens (Lenovo)? Still just see the camera icon with a line through it when trying on that device type. The first gen Google Home Hub works perfectly on the same network etc., so is definitely device related.

Thanks for the updates and for chasing on your users’ behalf!

2 Likes

The feedback from Google that I have received is that third party screen should be supporting WebRTC at this point. If it does not, then something else might be at play. I can ask Google what information would they need in order to troubleshoot.

5 Likes

Yes please. Still seeing camera symbol with a line crossing through it and the words “Camera fees is not available” on that particular device.

Any debugging info I can provide to help, just let me know.

I’ve talked to Google this morning about WebRTC and Lenovo and the answer I’ve received is that they have found an issue in the Lenovo device that prevents WebRTC to work properly in some cases. They have not elaborated what are the circumstances that prevents it from working properly.

The “good” news is that, one, they are aware of the issue and, two, they are currently working on addressing the problem as a top priority. So this is something I’m going to track with them closely to make sure that we have the proper level of support here.

6 Likes

Amazing feedback, much appreciated @Frederik. Really appreciate your chasing for your users (me! :wink:) here.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I greatly appreciate the update as a Lenovo owner, and in general. Fragmented hard/software is hard, glad to know it’s on a radar at least.

Is Chromecast supported for WebRTC / camera playback?

Good afternoon. Maybe there are users here who play a video stream from a Wyze Cam Outdoor (Wireless) camera to a smart display. I want to buy such a camera, but I’m not sure that it will work on google nest max hub

No it does not work with google nest max hub. It barely worked a while back, now it just shows “Wyze Cam” on the screen…no camera. Good luck. They’ve been “working on this” for almost two years, and it still does not work. There are other cameras that work flawlessly with Google Nest Hub. This isn’t one of them.

1 Like

humbucker thanks! Display not working with Wyze Pan too?
Tell me then the cameras that you know? What cameras do you know personally?
Strange, because V2 works flawlessly on google nest hub max

I have two Wyze Outdoor Wire-Free. Used to work with Nest Max Hub. It would buffer and take almost a minute to show up. But that was months ago. Now it just shows text “Wyze Cam” and nothing. Not such a wise cam. App on the phone works fine. Google doorbell and cams work instantly. I have just given up to ever get this working. Cheers!

1 Like

While it is (sometimes) possible to cast a Wyze cam to a Chromecast device from Google Nest Hubs, it is not yet enabled for WebRTC. WyzeFrederik says Google is working on it (for 3rd party devices like Wyze cams) with ETA in August or September (hopefully). I understood this was focused on the new CCwGTV device, although earlier gen Chromecast devices were reportedly WebRTC enabled, only for Google devices. So it wasn’t clear yet whether all or only the latest CC dongles were slated for the 3rd party (ie Wyze) WebRTC upgrade.

Thanks. Hoping 2nd gen chromecasts will be supported.

Is this still supposed to be working, or does this no longer work? Purchased 2 Google Nest Hubs and so far it doesn’t work. App works fine on phones.

Alternatively, does this work on Chromecasts?

What about home monitoring? I’d love to tell my Google Assistant I’m leaving and have it set Away on my alarm.

1 Like

I don’t know what changed, but google home hub is now able to display my wyzecam pan on the first try now. Then it just keeps working, I walked away and found it still streaming the next day! Wow! Great for a baby monitor.

2 Likes

When is the Wyze doorbell going to start working with google

MR GIOVANNI TURCO

3 Likes

V 2 has been working continuously for a month now, and for this many thanks to the developers Wyze and @ WyzeFrederik. But why can’t we make it work with Google max not only v2, but also Wyze Cam Pan? worked and Wyze Cam Pan. Thanks for any ideas and thanks for the promptness and help @Frederik

@Frederik could we please have an update about the Lenovo Smart Clock (and Displays?) fix for WebRTC streams from Wyze cameras? Any info would be appreciated.