Wyze Finally Works With Google Assistant!

It’s not a matter of keeping quiet, but threats towards the company, and constantly telling them how poorly they’re handling this when Gwendolyn is constantly in here apologizing and doing her best to communicate what little information they’re able to convey, is simply uncalled for. Complain all you like, [Mod Edit]

1 Like

You are placing all the blame here on Google without anything to back it up. Other cameras don’t have an issue working with Google, so how is Google’s API broken?

Anyway I am done responding. Feel free to keep ignoring the issue and stay in line. If nobody speaks up and continues to question things, and hold people/companies accountable, nothing will get done.

2 Likes

You could try reading Frederik & Gwendolyn’s responses, for starters. Otherwise, you can read/learn about Google’s lack of support for transcoding on their displays, how Google’s API isn’t working correctly with cloud transcoding, why integrating a local transcoder on such a small/cheap device such as a wyze cam is inherently difficult, and what moving to a WebRTC platform will do, but also is a monumental/fundamental undertaking. But I wouldn’t expect you to read anything before, not just complaining, but outright stating that there’s been no communication from Wyze…

1 Like

Totally agreed . Why are people defending such a failure to pinpoint the tissue . They keep saying it’s google and google not responding . Have they looked at it that could be Wyze side not being able to integrate with google ? Have they looked at how Nest Cam or YI work and stop blaming google ? All these defence I saw was about google . Have they shown what google said about the issue ?

3 Likes

This is the exact description of wyze cam from Amazon.com right this moment.

Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa & the Google Assistant, One Pack, White

It clearly shows that WORKS WITH THE GOOGLE ASSISTANT!

This is a fraud. They know it does NOT work with google assistant and yet they advertise that it works with google assistant. Someone above said that working with google is a trivial function. Then why do they advertise that in the description? I simply don’t understand the way Wyze handles this matter. If they stop advertising that it works with Google, then I can see that Wyze at least has some business ethics, This is simply not right…

1 Like

[Mod Edit] The problem here isn’t that people don’t understand the technical differences between different cameras or even what the technical issue is with why Wyze cameras can’t do what they claimed to be able to do. The problem is that customers shouldn’t have to understand any of the technical differences between cameras. Customers shouldn’t have to understand the technical issues that are causing their cameras not to work.

An even bigger problem is when a company or its forum representatives keep insisting that problems with their devices are actually problems with another company’s’ devices. This is not a “wyze” approach to make customers feel like their issues are being addressed.

All Wyze has to do is either say that they are working on a fix or refrain from making the claim that their equipment does something it clearly does not do(if you go on Amazon right now, their advertising states that it works with Google Assistant). It doesn’t. So either make it work or quit saying that it does.

All a normal customer(Let’s call him Joe) cares about is that his Wyze camera doesnt stream to his displays the way his other cameras do. Joe’s Wyze camera made the same “Works with Google Assistant” claim that his other cameras made, which is why he bought the Wyze cam. AND, now that his Wyze cam doesnt do what it says it could do, Joe comes to support forums to see if it is something he is doing wrong. Joe then reads a bunch of nonsense technical info about WebRtc and transcoding video streams to the cloud and back, and his eyes start to glass over. Joe just wants his dang camera to work. At this point, Joe simply chooses not to buy Wyze next time. And Joe wont buy bands, scales, locks, light bulbs, head phones, door bells, thermostats, plugs, or any other smart home device that Wyze sells[Mod Edit]

5 Likes

good point!

[Mod Edit]

And for the record, they do say on their website that they’re having latency issues with the current technology and Google Assistant, and that they’re working to change to a faster solution in the future. They go on to say that it will require overhauling the core infrastructure that Wyze cam is currently using. It’s not as front and center as it probably could be, but then again I don’t believe this is affecting 100% of their customer base, for those where the latency isn’t as bad due to their proximity to whatever servers perform the transcoding…[Mod Edit]

I am a customer why should I care about the technicals ?[Mod Edit]

3 Likes

I love facts…

Big Fat Fact: The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that’s not true.

I realize that you must use your phone to view your cameras and thus this is not an issue for you. But, there are a lot of Joes out there. [Mod Edit]

AND the simple solution is to remove the “Works with Google Assistant” from the advertising until is actually does.

[Mod Edit]Joe wants to know…

4 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly

1 Like

Not true right on the box it says works with google

1 Like

Nicely said 100% True

1 Like

all Wyze has to do is change the video feed that others use that work with google since Wyze cameras are the only ones that have a issue with feeds

1 Like

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream
  • Keep posts relevant to Wyze

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

4 Likes

giphy

One of my cameras just started working on my Google display, maybe they are making progress. It took about 45 seconds for it to connect, but it is still streaming.

Since I’m in charge of that integration, let me comment.

First and foremost, we did not invent or decided to put a sticker that says Work with Google Assistant, we went through a strong review of our integration by Google. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get reviewed, ours took 3 months because of the scrutiny they put on us. We passed all the tests that were required to pass and Yes the Google Nest Hub was the device that was used the most for the validation and the device we used during development.
For the record, those integrations are anything but trivial to get in place.

Second, the integration does work with Google ChromeCast, so this is the proof that the integration works BUT that there is an issue with the Google Nest Hub. We recognize that and have been working on addressing the issues. When we launch the integration at the end of the May 2018, Google Nest Hub was working perfectly with our 1080p stream so at this point, this is a regression.
As for the “blame game” mentioned, it’s about who could make the change to fix that regression. We are all losing in that situations while this is going on.

Third, we started to get some significant issues early April this year. When asked about the problem to Google, they have been telling us that it was an authentication issue. Therefore a lot of the recommendation that we have provided at the time to unlink and relink the account.
The error rate went down but we still had issues, when we asked for clarification of the error rate from Google. they said they were investigating it. It took several weeks for them to come back and mentioned that we had the wrong codec, we mentioned that we have been using the same codec from the very beginning. Upon more testing, they mentioned that the Google Nest Hubs is not supporting 1080p but Chromecast are. It was the first time that the resolution was mentioned and was an issue.
Solving the resolution is not trivial, there is only one quick easy way to fix it and it is to drop the resolution of the stream from 1080p to 360p (that’s 11x less pixels for reference). That will impact users who use Google Nest Hub but also people that are using Chromecast and also every Alexa users.

So where does it leave us.
Google is aware and fully engage now including engineers working on the video rendering for the Google Nest Hub itself. I have daily discussions with that team. We do not have an ETA just yet. But Google is telling me that they might have found a way to address the issue. We are on our side have the firmware and the cloud engineers looking at the codec alternatives and evaluating the work required to downscale the signal. We don’t have a solution just yet but we are getting closer.

20 Likes

Thank you. This right here, the openness and transparency makes all the difference. I appreciate you sharing exactly what has transpired and the direction things are going, and I know others will as well.

2 Likes

As of this post, so it can expire at any moment:

On a side note, Amazon has Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera w/ Night Vision on sale for $9.99 when you order through Voice Shopping w/ Alexa and say ’ Alexa, order a Wyze Camera " valid for Amazon Prime Members only.

That’s a great price.

1 Like