Wyze Finally Works With Google Assistant!

Dear Google Home Streamers,
As you know, we have been experiencing some difficulty in streaming your Wyze Cam feed to Google Nest Hubs, Chromecasts, and other compatible devices.
We need your point of view on the next step.

We have identified that the problem is linked to cold start and the audio part of the stream. For some reason, still unknown, the length of an audio segment is marked as being 24 hours long instead of a few seconds causing the players to think they have enough to render when they do not.
A cold start is defined as asking to stream when the last request to stream was more than 4 minutes ago. If it is within 4 minutes, it is considered a hot start. Hot starts do not show the audio issue and should have a high level of success.
Practically, it means: ask for the camera to be streamed, wait a few seconds and then ask again.

We have one opportunity in front of us, we should be able to remove the audio altogether from the stream making a cold start more likely to succeed.
The help that I need from you is to know if we should:
a) - Remove the audio from streaming to restore the cold start success
b) - Maintain it the way it is because the hot start is working well enough

Whatever the choice is, we have two lines of work that we are currently and will continue working on.
1 - We are continuing to troubleshoot where this audio segment length is coming from.
2 - We are working very closely with Google on the implementation of WebRTC. We have been working on it for multiple months so far and made great progress.

I can’t communicate an ETA, but we are hoping (i.e. not ready to make a commitment yet) that by Q1 2021 at the latest we should have a permanent solution to the problem. The audio will be part of the permanent solution.

• Maintain the way it is because the Hot Start is working well enough,
  • Remove the audio from streaming to restore the Cold Start success

0 voters

7 Likes