Wyze Employee Spotlight - Wenjiang Fan

It is time for another Employee Spotlight. This month it is Wenjiang Fan, part of the AI Team.

Name: Wenjiang Fan
Pronoun: he/him/his
Team: AI Team
Role: Principal Software Engineer

WenjiangFan

1. Why did you choose Wyze (Why Wyze)?

I joined Wyze in August 2019 as the 5th engineer. I still remember the conversations I had with Yun and TQ during my interviews. What really stood out to me from those conversations were Wyze principles ‘Being friends with users’ and ‘Make great technology accessible to everyone’. They aligned well with my career goal of improving peoples’ lives with AI technology.

2. What team are you on and what do they do?

I’m on the AI team. We develop AI models and AI systems, deploy AI features, and build AI service pipelines. We are a young and energetic team. Check out our openings at Wyze Careers.

3. How long have you been with Wyze and what do you do here?

I’ve been at Wyze for two and half years as the lead and co-founder of the AI engineering team. My team introduced a lot of cool AI features to Wyze devices, including object detection, face recognition, sound detection, etc.

4. What’s your favorite thing about working at Wyze?

Building and testing the latest AI technology on the market, and working with my team to turn them into cool features for you all to try out.

5. How have Wyze product(s) impacted your life?

Wyze products have simplified my life. They help me water my lawn and monitor my pets when I’m away. My outdoor camera has even helped my neighbor catch a thief 2 years ago! I used to own smart devices from a variety of companies which required me to download a dozen different apps. I have since consolidated my smart home technology down to one app: Wyze.

6. What is something that was discussed in one of your team slack channels this week?

We talked about the ‘Wyze Anything Recognition’ project. Stay tuned!

Wyze is growing! The AI team is looking for AI engineers and AI scientists to join our team. You’d be working with us to land AI technologies into products used by millions of users. Check out our opportunities here: Wyze Careers.

13 Likes

Good to learn about you Wenjiang!

Super excited about Wyze Anything Recognition. Cannot wait until this is out there. So many ideas started brewing after the announcement!

7 Likes

Glad to finally put a face to one of the features I use a lot on my Camera’s. Before I subscribed, I used to get a lot of notifications, now I only get alerts for things I am interested in. Thanks for bringing this to the community. There is a lot of benefits and worth to what you have done and I am sure a long way to go :slight_smile:

Thanks for the hard work you have put in on this and keep up the great work, glad you are part of the Wyze Family.

7 Likes

I saw you answering some questions in the We’re the Wyze AI team - ask us anything! Reddit AMA back in October. Thank you for taking the time to participate in that and answer some questions. It was very appreciated.

In fact, one of the things you answered about is now being tested!

You talked about us being able to be selective in which AI notifications we get while still allowing us to have others detected and labeled in the events without having to be notified about them. I’m excited to see there has been good progress on this thing you talked about in the AMA. I look forward to it being launched officially!

I remember you also talked a little about working on distinguishing between parked and moving vehicles for us. Thanks for working on these and other improvements and being willing to answer questions during the AMA. It’s good to put a face to your earlier comments/participation. We really love hearing from you guys.

8 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like