Wyze Employee Spotlight - Frederik Delacourt

Name: Frederik Delacourt
Pronouns: He/Him
Team: Product Team
Role: Sr Director of Technology and Services

1. Why did you choose Wyze (Why Wyze)?

When I left Amazon Alexa, there was 2 companies that I wanted to work for. GlowForge because as a maker, I could see the potential in product and how it can impact my workflow and open the possibilities.

The second company was a little camera producer at what was an insane price: Wyze Labs. As SmartHome enthusiast, I saw in Wyze an opportunity to replicate the recipe used for the camera to other devices. I knew also that it was early enough that we had a chance to create a very compelling new SmartHome ecosystem. While some of that vision is still “under development”, the last 3 years have proven me right. Right that we can replicate the recipe and right that we have the possibility to reinvent the SmartHome experience.

2. What team are you on and what do they do?

I’m working as part of the Product Team. That’s where the new products are being dreamed and then being crafted. From the ideas and initial use cases to the infinite little details that makes the devices. The team is ultimately responsible until the product is put on the shelves for customers to enjoy.

3. How long have you been with Wyze and what do you do here?

I’ve been at Wyze for 3 years and 2 months as the Sr Director of Technology & Services. On a daily basis, I work on the relationship with our partners like Amazon and Google but also with more silent partners like Apple or Samsung. I’m also in charge of keeping an eye on the standards (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, openThread…) and some new upcoming technology that should matter soon…

4. What’s your favorite thing about working at Wyze?

A lot has been accomplished but there is still a lot that can be done and that’s what is exciting: the potential. Being able to unlock more of our customer use cases.

5. How have Wyze product(s) impacted your life?

I’ve always been buying SmartHome products for the last 20 years. The difference with Wyze has been that I can expand the number of use cases because the cost of the hardware is not as high. I’ve started to use my Wyze cam to monitor some of my “long running processes” like my 3d printers, CNC…

6. What is something that was discussed in one of your team Slack channels this week?

I would love to tell you but that would spoil the surprise!

7. What did you do this week at work?

Worked on getting the Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 certified for Alexa and Google and working on some matter. :wink:

8. What was your biggest win at Wyze so far?

Recognizing that we need the notion of home and get it implemented. This is the first step required to make the home smart and not just connected. There are more that needs to be done around the meta information connected to the home. But we are slowly building a smarter system.

9. What Wyze device do you identify with? Why?

It has to be the Wyze Cam v1. Because it is the first device that was testing a new approach of doing things. It has bootstarted and allowed to give our customers all those other devices. Without the v1 success, it will have been near impossible to do everything else. I actually still run 2 V1 in my setup.

10. What’s something you never get tired of talking about?

Smarthome and the importance of the ecosystem: the required separation of the Person and the Home, the room centric necessity, the dissociation of the person and the account, the idea that sharing is an abomination and that all UX should be based around device capabilities instead of the device itself…
I’m pretty sure most of my colleague are happy I’m working from home so they don’t have to listen to me rambling about those topics all the time!

11. What are three words you’d use to describe Wyze?

Innovative , Disruptor, Potential

Wyze is growing! If you’re interested in joining a team of innovators, tech enthusiasts, and all-around cool people, check out our opportunities here: Wyze Careers.

12 Likes

Can’t wait to see wha the surprise is. Although I have not had a chance to interact with you in the forums, I can tell you the integration with Alexa and Google have come a long way - Kudo’s.

Can’t wait to see what comes of Matter, mass changes like this is not always as straight forwar as we would like it to be. But knowing you are on it and understanding your background, I am sr it will work out.

Glad you are part of the team and are part of Wyze’s continual growth.

Can’t wait to see what Wyze will be offering in the future and what enhancements will be made to existng products.

5 Likes

Yeah yeah we see what you did there (and again below it). :slight_smile:

Frederik is very cool because he was helpful with my hands-down favorite Wyze feature, Alexa person announcements. Nice to “meet” him further. Rock on.

5 Likes

:woman: :man: :boy: :girl:

Women love his accent. Men love his accent. Children love his accent.

But oh, what he says, that is the pudding on the cake. :wink:

2 Likes

Another well-deserved spotlight! I have always been impressed with your forthright explanations and technical competence. I admit I have on multiple occasions gone directly to your profile activity to see if you’ve posted anything recently: https://forums.wyze.com/u/WyzeFrederik/activity specifically to make sure I haven’t missed anything you may have recently said. If the forum allowed us to follow and get alerts whenever a certain user posts something, I would follow you for sure.

Seriously, @Frederik you are one of my favorite employees to follow and read posts from. PLEASE keep it up. Just know that there are A LOT of us who LOVE reading what you post and discuss in here, even when we aren’t always posting our comments. You are really appreciated for being so straightforward and having open conversations with us about so many things. It sometimes feels like you host your own AMAs in here, such as that entire discussion you gave us about Matter in throughout this thread. Seriously, that was awesome, and there are so many others. Keep up the good work and thank you for the effort you put in to expand the products’ functionality.

I like the answer to question #10…when you feel the itch, please feel free to come into the forums and elaborate on any of those subjects and more. I will read your posts with interest. You can even post them here where they are definitely on topic since it’s about your spotlight and I am asking you for more details. :slight_smile:

Speaking of "room-centric necessity"...

I am dying for Wyze to allow multiple motion sensors in a group to function as a single sensor with rules (ie: if any motion sensor in the room senses motion then turn on the light, and if ALL motion sensors in the same room clear for X minutes, then turn off the light)…this isn’t currently possible (but it is important since V2 motion sensors only sense dramatic motions far away, but if you sit on a couch or a chair, then it needs to be within like 5-6 feet to be able to detect a person who is sitting down is still in the room) which pushes me to toward solutions like Home Assistant, etc which did allow us to group the sensors to work like that, but that integration was suspended…so hopefully you can use your influence to help with some of these “room-centric” fixes so that the rooms can be a lot more fully automated for us without having to look for 3rd party solutions. to fully automated lighting in our houses.

You’re a great asset and very appreciated in here. I’m glad you came to Wyze instead of GlowForge. They’ve really been picking some great choices for spotlights!

7 Likes

Smart. White. Short.   image

A man who knows that trust flows both ways.

A major dude.  :beers:

Some posts were removed or edited that did not follow the Community Guidelines. Please flag posts that violate the guidelines so the moderators can respond appropriately.

Key points from the guidelines to keep in mind:

• Remember to criticize ideas, not people
  • Please avoid name-calling

Important sections:

Always Be Civil

Somtimes We Disagree

4 Likes

Keep up the good work Frederik. Can’t wait to see what surprises you have for us in 2022!

1 Like