Wyze Drops "Works with Google" from app... Google still tells me "This isn't an issue with google services"

Yes I’m the person in charge of the integrations and I’m the main person responsible for it. I’m not an engineer or a developer. I have the background and the experience but I’m not occupying this function in this company.
We have an entire team in charge of the integrations and they are specifically in charge of the doing all the integrations for Google Home, Alexa and IFTTT for ALL the devices. Believe me one person would be overwhelmed and quit in about 2 days.
And no, we are not just throwing darts, we don’t have the resources to try things randomly. The problem with the videos is as soon as we have a problem, we end up with 5 different companies being involved. So, the work is guided.

Yes. We should do that, that’s how we end with a lawsuit for patent infringement! :wink: As for near analog experience, please point me to them and I can see how they are doing it. We are working with very advanced teams on audio and video over the internet through different companies and they are fighting to gain every milliseconds possible.

We are using MPEG-DASH for Google and RTSP for Alexa. For WebRTC vs HLS/MPEG-DASH, I’m explaining the differences and the reason it’s better for the situation in the post #8 of this thread.

You don’t have to agree on it, it’s imposed by the player (ie. Google Hubs, Chromecast, Apple TVs, FireTVs and Echo Shows). This is not something that we have a choice on or that we can configure.
For the live protocols aspect, yes, that’s what WebRTC is and why we are switching to it.

I don’t do FALSE statements. I only speak the truth. We went through 3 months of heavy testing because our launch was considered high profiles and had to be validated by multiple layers of the Google hierarchy. That’s part of the reason that we missed the release date that I had talked about by 3 months.
There was nothing to roll back because we did not change the configuration. And we have confirmed since that the issue is not the codec. More on that later.

Listen, as someone who has over 35 years of software development, architected software for managing the development of airplanes, created and operated services for AWS, lead team of 120 engineers, I can tell you that not all the problems can be solved in a couple of months and if we could have fixed it by now it would have been.

Now let me provide an update on the issue.
The team challenged the findings from Google and mentioned that we have not changed the codec since the very beginning. After more testing, Google verified that indeed that the problem was not from the codec itself.
The problem is in fact coming from the resolution of the video. We are sending a 1080p signal out of the camera to the display. If the display is a Chromecast apparently it is apparently working just fine because the resolution is supported. But on Google Nest Hub, the Max resolution supported is 720p. For some reason, it was working before and we were able to stream without any problem. But the situation degraded to the point that it is not working anymore. Google acknowledges that it used to work properly and that it is a top priority on their side to see how this can be solved. We might have some work to do but there are several points that we have to consider.
1 - We have only 2 streams coming out of the cameras: 1080p and 360p. Without downscaling we would have to use the 360p stream and it should work.
2 - BUT the stream that we are sending to Google Nest Hubs is the same one use for Chromecast, FireTVs and Echo Shows. All of them are currently working and going from 1080p signal to 360p would be a disaster because the resolution will be 11x smaller.
3 - The solution that we have to bring has to account for the transition to WebRTC. the current solution goes through an intermediate (Wowza) server where we can potentially do a downscaling of the signal. BUT if we do the change there, we would have to redo a solution when we are switching to WebRTC because those servers will be bypassed as part of the process.

By the way, I got this information on Thursday and talked about options this (Tuesday) morning with Google and this afternoon with the Alexa team. I also had another conversation with Apple also on resolutions and how HomeKit is handling them in preparation for upcoming devices. So we are still looking at options right now and we are not losing our focus on the fact that this is an issue right now.

25 Likes