Wyze dashcam to the rescue

Got into my first major accident at 43 last month. Making a left turn while down in FL visiting my parents. There was traffic coming the other way the whole time so I had to wait for the light to turn red and then proceeded to complete my turn. A girl came speeding through the red light at over 60. I was lucky 3 people stopped to make sure I was okay and gave me their info. The cop said without those witnesses it would have been assumed my fault since she was going straight and she lied to cops and said the light was yellow. After that I decided a dashcam was necessary in every car I had or my immediate family has.

1 Like

I think all vehicles should have a dash cam built in for front and rear views or at least make it an option from the plant. Of course they would charge a really stupid price. $$$$.

2 Likes

Considering the first backup camera was introduced in 1956 and didn’t become proposed to be required as a standard until 2014 to be effective by 2019 models…I’d say we have a long time to go before dashcams are mandatory, but I agree they should be. Too many people lying about accidents with large amounts of money at stake.

The folks that own any kind of dash cam will tell you there are some really strange and crazy things that show up on the videos. Since I live in California I can tell you there is never a dull day on any road around where I live, I could make feature length movies every week :open_mouth:

1 Like

Interesting. I will have to give that a try with one of my cams some day.

How is this working with the 5 minute break between recordings? Or is it setup with continuous recording?

As I said in my original post, both cameras are set to continuous recording to the uSD card. Recording to the cloud would be useless since it would be dependent on WiFi coverage in the vehicle.

What size sd card are you using?

64 GB in all of my cameras.

:+1:t2: Thats the size I have.

Not stupid. The law (same here in Quebec) acknowledges the blind spot.

Keep Right Except to Pass is a good safety law.

1 Like

Another genius California Driver this morning. Screw the red left turn arrow. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hi, you’ve inspired me to try a Wyze Cam as a dashcam and drivercam. Could you possible share pictures of each camera, how you have them secured, and how they are aimed? Thank you.

Blind spot :rofl: :rofl: I said the highway was empty like this.

The Dashcam is attached to the windshield behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side of the center post that holds the mirror. The driver cam is attached to the windshield behind the drivers side of the mirror. In both cases, they are magnetically attached to the metal disk that comes with the cameras. I have never had the cameras separate from the disk and I drive my truck in some pretty rough off-road situations. The V3 dashcam is plugged into the USB-A port on the V2 drivercam. There is a standard Wyze cable from the V2 to a cigarette lighter to USB power adapter. If I remember, I’ll take some photos when I get the truck back.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to describe your setup. This is very helpful.

To confirm:

• Both metal disks are attached to the glass via adhesive they came with?
  • Both cables descend from the rearview mirror area?
  • Is the driver cam aimed at/recording the driver?

Thank you again.

Yes, the cameras are magnetically attached to the metal disks and the disks are attached to the windshield with the adhesive that came with the cameras.

The V3 is powered from the aux USB-A port on the V2, so there is only one power cable, and it does hang down from the rear view mirror.

Yes, the driver cam is pointed at the driver. Although I have not posted it, that camera clearly shows that I looked to the right when the light turned green before entering the intersection.

1 Like

This is such a stupid law! I shake my head at it about every other day. Most places I have lived say you have to establish yourself in the one lane nearest the center before moving over to the right. Also the diagram does not apply if there are two or more turning lanes. People just seem to drift wherever, whenever. I had a lady in a van drive my Miata off the road in such a situation.

Here’s the Picture in Picture version that shows me. Note that I fully look right just before starting to move.

Hopefully this video will show right…

3 Likes

Wow, how many cams do you have in the car?

And Happy Forum Anniversary!

Your birthday and forum anniversary are pretty close to each other. Did you buy your first cam for your birthday all those years ago?