Wyze Community Forum Feedback

I agree with the several others that being able to see new messages since your last visit is a feature that is needed. It was in every forum back in the beginning of the internet. Now forums focus too much on pretty and not enough in function.

I use an RSS Reader, FeedDemon (even though no longer developed it still works better than any of the other RSS Readers out there, IMHO of many many years). This the address for the WyzeCam Forum Feed. This gives you all the postings in chronological order (newest first).

Most internet pages have an RSS Feed. In Firefox you can find it under Bookmarks > Subscribe To This Page > choice of feeds on site.

Try holding down the Shift key while hitting the Return/Enter key. This inserts a soft break instead of a hard break. This works in all systems that comply with Standards.

Hint, try it in Facebook so you can create real paragraphs instead of “posting” huge blocks of text.

I was sad to see that a contributor has chosen to leave the forum, stating the reason “I don’t think it’s a healthy place to hang out”.

I was just catching up on some youtube subscriptions, and watched Christopher Barnatt’s 10th Anniversary of his “ExplainingComputers” channel.

In 7:12-9:40 he talks about the negative side of technology in the last 10 years: (my transcription, all errors are mine) “As with all amazing changes and revolutions there are negative sides, as we all know, and I think the big negative side has been the way that people have started to accept, and just… almost without question, that online is a place you can be intensely rude to other people. You can post abusive comments about whatever you like, and that’s just fine, in the way you couldn’t possibly get away with in the real world.”

“10 Years of Explaining Computers” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSg6AEV6AHI

On a lighter note, I enjoy listening to audiobooks while I am doing things that don’t require concentration, like commuting, and doing tasks around the house. My latest find on Librivox is Mark Twain’s “Roughing It”, read by a great volunteer reader John Greenman. He could be a professional narrator; he is that good.

If you enjoy listening to audiobooks, and humorous stories with a historical basis, I highly recommend this one.

https://librivox.org/roughing-it/ has dowload links for individual chapters and a zip file containing all chapters in MP3. These are public domain.

Today I was listening to Chapter 31 and a story about being confined to a Hotel/Bar during a flood, and how it was also an unhealthy place to hang out. That story is in the first half of Chapter 31.

I like to use VLC so I can change the playback speed to 1.5, alternatively you can listen on youtube, and use the settings to set the speed to 1.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTR1RkRa7M&t=20823

Warning, this is a long book and very addicting.

Unfortunately you are correct and so was that user. Some times online places become toxic and over time will lose their value as a result. It is often a few people who get it started in that direction.

The option to disable images should be easy to code, because that is the behavior if you are not logged in (images are not displayed, but text is). So it should be easy to have a “display images” flag stored in the profile, and only display images if logged in and display images flag set.

Another option would be the ability to “subscribe” to forums, so new posts would be sent to the mail associated with your account, similar to the emails I get when I have the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”. These don’t include images (which is the way it should be). Text uses very little data compared to images, and these contain links to the message in the forum. The downside to that is that you lose the context, other than what the subject of the thread is, i.e. not what it was a reply to. But you can always go to the link and see the context.

I just returned to edit this post. Do have a look at the RSS reader recommended by DadCooks. Of course that’s for Windows, and you are probably looking for a mobile app (since you are concerned about data use). Perhaps someone can recommend a good mobile RSS reader.

Thanks for this pointer. I just downloaded and installed, and this looks nice. I have never used an RSS reader before, but this seems to have an intuitive interface.

The author, Nick Bradbury, has kept a read only version of the google group available so you can at least search for info there.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/feeddemon

Thanks again.

Another option would be the ability to “subscribe” to forums, so new posts would be sent to the mail associated with your account, similar to the emails I get when I have the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.
Good news: The ability to subscribe to each forum section exists already: Go to the main index page for each forum section. Near the top right, under the My Profile button and above the topic list, you should see a Subscribe button. This will send you each new post of that forum section. You must, of course, be logged in to see this button.

Does anybody from the company even read/respond to the problems which have been posted in the forums?

Hi jc, yes we do! Specifically for this topic on forum feedback, we’re consolidating the problems and improvement wishlist so that we can prioritize internally on which features to fix and roll out progressively.

We do, and we are trying to be more actively available on here. If there is something you think needs our attention or anything you would like to report, right now you can email this to support@wyzecam.com and myself or our other moderators will check into it. We are working on a more streamlined way to handle reporting or messaging us directly but for the meantime that is the best way. Thanks!

I posted this yesterday before I found this section of the forum. I should have posted it here as it is specifically forum related. Short version is unable to edit my forum profile because it requires entering the password but there is no place to enter your password.

https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/unable-to-edit-forum-profile/

Jim

The new download for push notifications is working great so far. When I delete notifications they actually go away without returning to previous screen. Thanks

What timezone is the Forum set to? It seems to be Alaska time. I could understand WyzeTime, but I would expect that to be Seattle time. I could also understand UTC.

It is possible that it displays time based on a per user setting, but I can’t see anything in profile settings.

I will be posting this very close to 2018-04-27 19:07 UTC

As a newbe I love the forums and am finding them quite educational - and addicting. It would make browsing - or even looking for something so much easier if they were sorted chronologically. I’m sure I’ve seen that mentioned somewhere but thought I’d add my 2 cents. I do appreciate all the info I find here and all the knowledgable contributors.

You just sent out an email about a new motion detection zone. Is this for all Wyze models or just the new one? If for all, the direction are not accurate.<!–more–>

It is for both V1 and V2. I believe the directions (below) are accurate. If you are not seeing the Motion Detection Zone options, it may be because your firmware is not up to date.

To set a detection zone, simply select a camera, go to Camera Settings -> Alert Settings, and find the Motion Detection Zone section at the bottom of the screen. If Full screen is enabled, toggle it off to be able to access the Set detection zone screen. You can then drag the corners of a rectangle to set the zone. Don't forget to press Save to complete your selection!

I too had a problem with the directions, perhaps because I’m a total newbie. On v2 anyway, you have to find the Live Stream screen first, then click on the gear in the upper right corner, select Alert Settings, scroll off the screen to the bottom (if it isn’t visible at the bottom), and select Set Detection Zone. Then follow the directions on the screen.

You are on the Live Stream screen if the words Live Stream are visible near the top of your screen; there may be a simpler way, but I get too it by tapping the still image on the Devices page.

You could cut a very large percentage of spam if you just checked the language/character set being used.

New customer. Love the cameras. But there are a couple of features/enhancements that are needed.

1. Need a Privacy/Away mode (geofencing). So you have the option of turning off specific cameras when designated people arrive home. And then have turn on automatically when you leave

2. Also need the ability to rotate the image 90 degrees. Would provid many more mounting options.

russgp asked:
> 1) Need a Privacy/Away mode (geofencing). So you have the option of turning off specific cameras when designated people arrive home. And then have turn on automatically when you leave

Check out the IFTTT thread.

https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/pssstttt-announcing-wyze-cam-ifttt-integration/

> 2) Also need the ability to rotate the image 90 degrees. Would provid many more mounting options.

90 no, but you can do 180. That should resolve most of the issue when coupled with the ability to rotate the mount.