Wyze Climate Sensor v2 Ideas

I am happy to see the Wyze Climate Sensors are being released but sad to say it missed the mark. The temperature alert range needs to allow settings that go below freezing. I have used a now defunct competitor’s sensors to monitors freezers and refrigerators for years. Not only is it great peace of mind for anyone that worries about food spoilage when a door has been left open at home but it is also an essential tool for anyone if the food business. You could be selling millions of these if they could monitor temperatures found in freezers and marketed them to restaurants. Just be sure to have the app provide a historical graph that can be shown to health inspectors.

Mod edit added v2 to title

Excellent suggestion about freezers and Foodservice, especially the graphing and Health inspectors.
As someone with years in the industry I totally agree with that. A record would be of great use at inspection time. They always do seem to show up the day the refrigeration goes on the blink!

2 Likes

The specs on the climate sensor mention “Detection Temperature Range: 0°-60°C”

if I put one of these sensors inside my freezer, and set it to alarm if the temperature rises above 5°C, could this serve as a alarm for freezer failure or leaving the door open on the freezer?

I think freezers and refrigerators sometimes block radio frequency signals due to the materials they are made from, so not sure if it would work through.

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts about using this inside freezer?

Two thoughts: first, I agree that the metal in them will probably block the signal. Second, the batteries probably won’t last in the cold temperatures. Need something with a probe to go inside.

3 Likes

New Climate Sensor version with a wired temp probe for monitoring a freezer

Adding a wired temperature sensor probe to the Wyze climate sensor would allow it to be used to monitor locations where the climate sensor itself cannot be placed, such as freezers and refrigerators as well as high humidity environments such as a terrarium. This would make the hygrometer useless, of course, so it could be removed from this version. Given the temp range alerts and data logging of the current Wyze Climate Sensor, it would be perfect for monitoring a refrigerator or freezer if only it had a wired temp probe. The current solution for this is to buy a similar device that has a temperature display (these cost $5 to 25) and put a Wyze cam pointed at it, but this solution does not have data logging or alert capabilities. I go on long trips and have someone watch my home, and such a device would be helpful for catching those unfortunate times when the fridge or freezer goes out while I’m away (and a call to my neighbor can save some or all that food from spoiling). Some people might want to use it on a freezer that is not often opened because it is in a shed, garage, or basement.

2 Likes

Does wyze have a device that can monitor the temp inside a freezer? It would be important to know if a freezer ever has a significant temp change. When my last freezer went out I didn’t know it until all the meat had spoiled. Had I known temp Was rising I could easily have moved contents to kitchen freezer.

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Refrigerator / Freezer Temperature Sensor. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.

4 Likes

Hate to keep plugging other vendors, but YoLink has a solution for this:

Climate sensor with remote wire sensor

Would be great if you could put a remote wire on your temp sensor. Then I could put the temp sensor in a bucket of water, inside a freezer, cooler, or other room, and still be able to get the data without having to expose the electronics of the wyze climate sensor to the water or temperature.

I’d love it if I could put the sensor in a tank of water that I need to heat to a certain temp. Once temp threshold is triggered, it could automatically trigger a wyze plug or any other device.

This would also make it so that your actual sensor device doesn’t have to be waterproof, or freeze-proof, etc. Just put the remote wire sensor in the thing to be measured. Easy peasy (LIKE ALL TEMP SENSORS!!).

HUGE MARKET IN RESTAURANT TEMP MONITORING.

2 Likes

You mean something like this:

1 Like

Cabled temp sensor, like cabled moisture sensor?

One of the places most likely to cause flooding damage is where the pipes for one bathroom run through an exterior wall. It would be nice to be able to run a temperature sensor next to those pipes, so I could see a freezing risk developing before the pipes burst, but I’d need to be able to replace batteries. A probe on the end of a cable, like the one that plugs into the water sensor, would be a good solution here.

Expose it for Alexa and IFTTT, and it could even control a switch unit, acting as a thermostat for a pipe heater.

1 Like

Include the dewpoint temperature as an output. It takes into account the temperature and relative humidity and is a better metric for monitoring humidity than relative humidity alone

I saw this as well. Just wanted to wait until Wyze creates one so it works with the whole Wyze ecosystem and no need for new apps or additional hubs.

1 Like

Dewpoint temp can be calculated from temperature and humidity. (Any of the three can be derived given any two of the others.)

Of course. It would be useful as a built in value so events (say a fan controlled by wyze plug) could be triggered based on dewpoint

Temperature Sensor that has a probe that can be used in Hot Tubs, Refrigerators, Freezers Fish Tanks etc

Have a need to monitor the temperature of things like Hot Tub, Refrigerators, Freezers and Fish Tanks.

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for Refrigerator / Freezer Temperature Sensor.

Like this one:

Yes it is like the one you have mentioned but will work with the wyze dashboard

Outdoor climate sensor

I’d love to have an outdoor climate sensor to automate switching between 2 different heating systems I have, based on outdoor temperature.

1 Like

Outside air temperature and humidity

It would be nice to have a Wyze device that can tell us what the outside air temperature and humidity is so we can use it in rules. For instance I have large heating pads on front and back porch and if the outside air temperature is below 55 deg f I would turn on the heating pads and if the outside air temperature is above 60 deg f I would turn the heating pads off with the outdoor plugs.

I imagine there could be their uses for people with Wyze thermostats that would switch heating and cooling modes based strictly on outside air temperature or humidity or even enthalpy.

Another option would be to incorporate local weather site access into the Wyze app and based on our zip code we could use the local weather conditions for the rules.

Happy trails

1 Like

Expanded temperature range request

Please expand the temperature range capability of the Climate Sense so it can be used in a freezer… 0 degrees F or -20C

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged to this Wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests. 0F degrees is outside the specified temperature range for the Climate Sensor. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button to show your support.

Reference: