Wyze cameras outside

So I plan on being a new Wyze camera customer. So can the Wyze camera be used outside? How is it protected from the elements? Is there a housing for it to protect it? Is there a temp that’s too cold or too hot that it will cause problems? (I do know its temp range is from 32°-104°)

Welcome to the Wyze world! There are many posts on the forum about using the cams outdoors. You can do a search of the Forum using those keywords and find lots of info.
Quick disclaimer: Wyze sells and warrants their cams for indoor use only. There is an outdoor Cam in development but no timetable for release.
That being said , there are many people, myself included who use them outdoors in all kinds of conditions with minimal problems. I have V2’s and Pans outside and have had for 1-2 years without weather related issues. There are many products available to help mount, protect and power them. I personally am an Amazon junky and that’s where I find most of mine.
Have Fun- post back if (and when) you have specific questions!

2 Likes

With only the 6 foot cord, this wouldn’t exactly be a quick project. Will using an extension cord effect the use of the camera in any way? Thanks!

Technically more than about 25’ of USB extension may be a problem but I suspect you could run 50’.
You can use as much 110v AC extension as you need. The longer the run, the heavier the gauge. You’re only using 0.15A (AC) at most so it can be a very long run before it would ever effect the camera.

1 Like

I agree with @angus.black on both issues. I’ve run 25+ foot mini USB extension cable successfully. Many are available, some better than others. If you go with Amazon read the reviews!
With pan cams you need to be sure to use the original power supply- they take a 2 amp supply.

1 Like

With the Wyze cam, the USB cord is only supplying power during use, no data, so the cable length is less prone to problems than some other devices. Depending on the length, a good quality cable or USB extension cable can also make a difference. The problem with long length is voltage drop the longer it gets and better cables with larger gauge conductors preform better. I used a 15 Foot USB extension cable without any problem for a while.

1 Like

I had a pan cam mounted upside down under a good sized protective cover, but otherwise completely open to the elements. Worked great through a rainy winter, no problems. This is So Cal, though, so it’s not exactly the Arctic Tundra… :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Pan cam is mounted upside down under a soffit 2’ back from the edge. Well protected.
It’s been out there two winters. I’m on the east coast of Canada. It goes down to -30C/-22F.

3 Likes

I have one in an unheated screen porch in northern Michigan where the temps go close to zero. No issues so far. Amazon has some very good outdoor enclosures meant exactly for this purpose. Welcome to the group and by all means get a few cams and experiment - they’re cheap. I get mine at Home Depot.

2 Likes

It’s 14 degrees Fahrenheit Here right now and mines chugging along fine. I think the coldest we’ve had here so far this winter is a little below zero and it hasn’t failed.

2 Likes

I have 4 v2 cams outside for a year now, -30 days in winter, and temps can reach 100 in the summer months, no problems so far. I also use 25 ft USB cables on all of them.

2 Likes