Wyze cam wifi connectivity, how to maximize/stabilize settings on home network?

Have 6 cameras and experience has been pretty good so far (the usual restarts, figuring features out, etc.)

I noticed that the wifi signal strength as indicated by the Wyze app for the various cameras changes overtime without any apparent differences. Same camera, same camera location, same Wyze app access on local wifi network, one day wifi strength indicated by Wyze app is 84%, next day same camera might have Wyze app showing 35% signal strength. Can somebody recommend how I can get educated on various home wifi things that my router (Linksys WRT 1900AC) would be showing such as chanels (which I don’t understand by the way). Basically I am asking is there a way to “tune” my wifi settings to maximize/stabilize Wyze cameras wifi connectivity?

1 Like

Some wifi channels are more congested than others. Especially in crowded areas. Newer routers automatically select the best channel for you. Your camera may transfer data better on one channel over another depending on what your router decided to do that day.

Or a butterfly may have reflected the signal while you were checking. Life is full of uncertainty. Wifi even more so.

A wifi analyzer app may help you understand channels. I use one on Android and Windows.

Linksys has its own user community.
Just do a search for “optimized settings for Linksys WRT1900AC router”.

Personally I don’t like the Auto channel setting (imagine an apartment building with all the routers constantly trying to pick a good channel.) and I just pick an uncrowded channel for both 2.4 and 5.

You can get Android Apps that will show you the other channels people are using in your area. I use “WiFi Analyzer Pro” on Android.

Separate unique SSIDs seem to work better for me.

There are a lot of great tutorials on understanding WiFi so I won’t try to recreate them here, but you can think of WiFi channels like FM radio stations. When you’re between coverage areas sometimes you can hear two stations at once because they’re broadcasting on the same frequency. In the same way, two WiFi networks broadcasting on the same channel cause interference that degrades signal quality.

For FM radio in the US we have the FCC that licenses the frequency and makes sure no two FM stations are using the same frequency in the same area, but for WiFi it’s up to you (and your neighbors) to pick a channel no one else is using.

As @Wrecks0 mentioned, most modern routers will scan for other networks and try to pick the channel with the least interference, but that may be a moving target and only accounts for networks near the router, not devices on the edge of your home. Thus it’s often advisable to scan for nearby networks yourself and determine which channel is the least congested. I use Android apps like “WiFi Analyzer” or “WiFiman” to scan for networks. Most will display a graph showing WiFi channels 1, 6, and 11 (for 2.4GHz) with the nearby networks centered over the channel and signal strength indicated by how tall the graph is:

You’ll want to check in several different locations around your home, perhaps next to a device that has poor signal quality, and try to pick the channel with the fewest networks and/or weakest signal. Using the example graph above channel 1 is probably the best choice.

In summary, the best thing you can do to stabilize your WiFi is to turn off “auto channel” on your router and pick the best channel manually. That will ensure that your network is not changing and allow you to focus on optimizing other variables like physical placement of your router (central location, mounted as high as possible).

Thanks everyone for the pointers on factors involved with “stabilizing” WiFi
I’ll definitely start playing around with channels.

Follow-up question on how the Wyze cams connect via WiFi. Understand there are variables, but if the 3 key factors don’t change (location of camera, location of router and overall home traffic on WiFi) then why would an individual Wyze camera suddenly drop connection? One of my cameras is actually fairly close to the router, about 12 ft and only has 1 wall in between, yet after 4 days or so of solid performance this morning it suddenly won’t connect and I am forced to go mess around with unplugging/plugging that camera. Just when I had 4 days of solid performance on 6 cameras, this starts happening again! Hoping to avoid random camera drops, especially when I am not around to power cycle them. Is this just a fact of life with the technology at this stage?

Using a wifi analyzer is a real plus in setting up your cameras. Lock in your channel once you pick it. If you’re good with your neighbors and see some overlap using the analyzer, you may want to talk to your neighbors. The biggest problem I see is many homes turn their wireless off at night and the channel is set to ‘auto’ which is just a problem when they turn on in the morning. Also bandwidth. It can be set to 20 or 40. It should be 20. When set at 40 it overlaps and interferes with adjoins channels. There are days my system is rock solid then nighttime and my neighbors shut down. Next morning I think my system just killed itself but the wifi analyzers proved what I mentioned. Many problems are caused by neighboring wifi setups.