Wyze cam what is it good for?

Hello,
I like the wyze cam although it is worthless in the real world. By the time it gives a notification it is to late. Why is this? Case in point, my front yard camera that watches over the jeep. It detects me getting to the jeep, and sends a notification. By the time the notification is given I am one to two blocks away.
It will also detct us walking towards the gate, we can walk through the gate and into the back yard and then into the house. By the time the notifications come in I am already inside and sitting on the couch with the dog on my lap.

My wifi connection is amazing and is using google gig as my internet. My devices are on T-mobile and AT&T with Jess’s being on Verizon. We also have a device that is always inside and connected to the wife. Why does it not send the notification until it is done recording and not right away to warn people of a situation?

Your notifications are coming awfully late. I would contact Support and start a ticket with them to just see if they can figure out why your notifications are coming so late. Because I just had movement in front of my camera and it took probably three seconds for me to get the alert. My other camera head noise detected and it took maybe 3 to 5 seconds for me to get the alert. And I know it’s not the same thing but even with my new lock I unlocked it and got a notification again in under five seconds. So I will start a support ticket because somethings not right with your phone or the way it’s set up. I hope you get it solved because they are actually very nice cameras and they come in very handy

Thank you Paindonthurt,
It would be great if the alerts came in that fast. The cameras do have a great quality to them and is nice to watch the dogs through. Would be nice if the alerts would come through quickly enough that I could confront the porch pirates.

1 Like

If you have the wyze sense motion sensor covering the same field of view as the camera the alert comes in pretty much instantly for me.
Same with the contact sensors. The lock notifications come in around 2-4 seconds for me. My echo will announce contact sensor open or close within 5 seconds normally.

I don’t use the on camera detection but I recall the notification is delayed on purpose so the clip is viewable when you get it. I frequently don’t have a clip available if I click the motion sensor notification right away.

1 Like

I get camera notifications of a motion within seconds. If I go to see pic. It takes a few more seconds for that to load. But I know of the movement fast. I do have to wait a slight bit for the pic to load.

Oh Interesting. Last time I really used the on camera detection was back in May and I recall there was some delay. My internet has decently fast download but the upload is pretty bleh. 120mbps download and 15 Mbps upload on 5ghz and 30 Mbps download/7 Mbps upload on the 2.4 GHz (which is what Wyze cam is using) . That may be adding some to the delay issue of the OP.

1 Like

I’m at 53.95Mbps down and 5.64Mbps up. Big difference.

I wouldn’t know what to do with 120 down. Lol. That’s fast. 50 is very good for where I live. Out in country in southern iowa.

My notifications are a roll of the dice. Some days…the camera notifies as soon as there is motion. Some days…I get a notification 10 minutes later…one day it was 12 hours later.

Thank you kcmeacham3,
Sadly seems to be my situation as well.

1 Like

Hello Kjay,
Thank you for the info. I do not have motion sensors, just the cams. Debating on putting the rest up or returning these and going with another company. How is the lock working for you, it is an item I have been looking at and waiting for it’s release. Although fairly concerned with performance at this time.
I may look at loading blue stacks on a spare machine and see if I can get a constant stream that way to help with this delay.

1 Like

From the furthest spot in my house from the router/modem my speeds just now are

[Speed Test]()

So I don’t believe it is my connection speeds.

Yeah I would not think it’s your speed. That’s very impressive especially that your upload is faster than your download.

Seems like a setting or something not firing correctly. Most experience very fast notifications, mine are extremely quick…

One thing to try is make sure battery optimization for the wyze app is off if your using android but I think that would only help if your delay was crazy long like over a few minutes.

It may be worthwile to pick up a sense package to see if the motion sensor + Camera works for you. It should improve the notification speed but won’t necessarily let you view the cloud clip faster. The sense package + cam should still be much cheaper than the next decent alternative. If your still not satisfied I suppose you could return everything? If you do keep the camera I would recommend the external motion sensor regardless if it helps with the notification speed or not if you are not planning on subscribing to the continuous motion capture. The motion sensor can eliminate a lot of false positives and will decrease the minimum time between cloud events/notifications to ~40 sec down from 5 min. The camera by itself has a 5 minute cool down period after an event/notification is generated.

The lock is working well for me now. When I first got it push notifications were not working but now everything is working as advertised. I have auto lock off until the keypad is released but it worked fine when I tested it. I have auto unlock turned off since I don’t enter through that door very often. I tested auto unlock for a week and didn’t have any issues. I would arrive home in my garage and the door with the lock (front door not attached to garage) would auto unlock. When my garage door closed a contact sensor would send a command to lock the front door. I read some other users have various issues with the lock but it’s hard to tell if it’s widespread. They sold like 2000 units for early access and normally the people with problems are much more vocal than the ones with no issues. If your unsure about your wyze cams I would wait on the lock until it has been released to the public for a few months to get a better idea how others feel about it. A big thing for me was that it works in the same app as my cams. If they didn’t sell a smart lock I probably wouldn’t have bought a smart lock at all. It’s really just more of a in “case s***” happens kind of thing. Actually in my case most of my security stuff is just that. I have dash cams, Wyze cams, smart lock etc… I have yet to record anything interesting :man_shrugging:. Never been broken into, never had anyone locked out, never recorded any car accidents.

Also nice connection speed, those are some fat pipes :+1:.

Edit: @Ekko seems like I replied to my own comment oops.

Some posts were removed that did not contribute to the conversation. Please remember the Community Guidelines, specifically the following:

Sometimes We Disagree And That’s Okay

Sometimes we will disagree on topics. You may even think that the other person is outright wrong! That’s just part of being human talking to other humans. But when you respond, remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks (personal attacks instead of discussing content of a post)
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that focus on the ideas instead of the person. If someone has something negative to say about Wyze or our products, there’s likely a reason for that. Just tag in a mod or admin to make sure that the feedback goes where it needs to and we have an opportunity to consider and respond to what they’re saying.

2 Likes

The notification seems to come in a lot faster on my wife’s iPhone 10 than my Pixel 3XL on the same WiFi network. I did turn off battery optimization on the Wyze app on my Pixel and I think it came in faster. By faster, I mean it still has a 10 seconds to 60 seconds lag.

Your experience is typical of mine. Sometimes I will get them quickly, but more often than not that isn’t the case. I’ve even disabled battery optimization on my Android phone so that the app is guaranteed to run in the background. It may be worth noting that when I first received my first cam (about 3 months ago) I usually received notifications quickly.

1 Like

Battery optimization usually keeps apps from running in the background. I’d think having it off would be better.

2 Likes

Same for me. I have 7 camera and sometine its after 2 seconde. Sometime its when I open the app 2 week later…

1 Like

Same here.

1 Like