Wyze Cam v4 Ideas

• 2k or 4k
  • Indoor/Outdoor (ie waterproof)
  • Addons/Accessories: (Similar to Spotlight for V3). Various options like Loudspeaker, Siren, PoE, Battery, Solar panel etc. 2 accessories per camera if you find some miracle way. They would also need to be waterproof or have some sort of waterproof rating (enough to be rained/snowed on).
    The idea for this is that the camera is extremely adaptable. Let’s say someone is replacing a PoE camera? Then get a cheap PoE Wyze 4v Wyze-on (I officially call it that) and you now have a Wyze V4 PoE camera. Let’s say you want a spotlight and want the camera to have a loud siren. You’d buy the Spotlight and the Siren and snap them on, essentially creating a spotlight camera, with loud siren. Let’s say you’re a 100% DiY and don’t want holes in your home. Get the Wyze v4 + battery + solar panel. You now have an ODC that is battery powered where the battery is getting charged - no 3, 6, 12, 24 month battery changes.
  • Onboard AI; for person detection, vehicle detection, etc.
  • Bookmarks in recorded footage/clips in app
  • Optional base with support for MicroSD and/or External Hard Drive attachment
  • Optional 12s free cloud recording, as it is now, for those who just want the camera and nothing else.
  • Revamp Cam Plus into something more all encompassing, like enable cloud based AI for old cameras, but set pricing at say, $3 for up to 5 cameras (and 50c per cam extra) and allow a mix and match of servicing at that price. For example, some people may want 24/7 cloud so an option could be 24/7 saved for 1 day (per camera) OR cloud AI detected clips saved for 7 days (per camera).
    Do separate tiers. Tier 1 is Typical, so the option for 24/7 for all cameras saved for 2 days or cloud AI clips (max of 2m per clip) for 7 days. (Cloud AI clips are basically motion, vehicle, person, pet detected clips saved, no cooldown between clips)
    Tier 2 is Enhanced, so the option is 24/7 for 7 days or cloud AI clips for 14 days. So on and so forth. Lots of options here to mix/match, etc.
    With this, you get to keep it valuable and simple for Cx who just want peace of mind in the cameras, but allow people who want or need more to get it. Monetize the feature without demonizing it.

My 2c.

3 Likes

Lot of great ideas here. Am Loving this Wish List! :smiley: :heart:

3 Likes

Wyze Cam v4 should have Bluetooth support and the hardware to maintain a connection to WiFi network + a P2P WiFi connection at the same time. I have several Wyze Cams outdoors with very weak WiFi connection that barely work over WiFi as a result, I’d like the option to walk up to an outdoor Wyze Cam and establish a P2P Bluetooth or P2P WiFi connection to that camera while it is still on the main weak WiFi connection so that I can browse video on microSD card and download from microSD card without removing said card and without interrupting operation of Wyze Cam.

Obviously, one could opt to turn off this feature for added security.

Also, this added hardware would allow Wyze Cam v4 to act as relay for other Wyze Cam v4s so that if they are too far from WiFi access point to establish a strong enough connection, they could connect over Bluetooth or WiFi to a nearby camera that does have a strong enough connection.

If added hardware adds too much to cost, you could charge an extra $10 and call it Wyze Cam Mesh and with software and firmware upgrades, you could make Wyze Cam v3, v2, v1, etc capable of connecting to a Wyze Cam Mesh in the event that it provides a stronger connection than connecting to the WiFi access point.

I would like to see:

1. 2K or 4K resolution

2. More FPS for clearer and smoother video quality

3. Wider field of view

4. Battery-powered or plugged in (Combine Wyze Cam Outdoor with Wyze Cam V3)

5. On-device AI instead of AI in the cloud.

6. Support more than a 32GB SD card.

7. PoE option along with the normal plug-in option and battery power.

8. Built-in spotlight.

9. More accessories to customize your camera

Other features:

1. Continue working by switching to battery power if the power goes out and it’s plugged in.

2. Work locally with on-device AI and send recordings to the SD Card if the internet goes out, then upload them to the cloud when it comes back.

2 Likes

I’d make a separate Wishlist item for this!

I did. It got “moved” into this form by the admins. Will try again.

1 Like

A longer rat tail on the plug, possibly a replaceable one. The replaceable part might be a bit hard with still maintaining the weatherproofing.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Next-gen Wyze Cam (v5) Ideas

I have Kuna security and love how it greets guest. Stops them and lets them know they are being recorded…Would be easy for WYZE to add a “chime” when a person is detected.

1 Like

What about nighttime color imaging like the v3 cam?

Solar power. They have 3rd party solar panels for Wyze Outdoor Cam but not for the Wyze Cam V3. Would be great to get the better features of Wyze Cam V3-4 and still be able to use solar power. In fact there is a long and popular thread on this forum about trying to put together a solar panel system to power the V3 currently.

At some stage a camera that is both solar-powered and SIM-based to allow for recording to the cloud via solar like the Reolink Go below. Their price point certainly has room for disruption.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098DY1FHH/

I’m stuck buying the Reolink Go for my application but would rather support Wyze if they can make a competitive product (and they’ve made plenty of other competitive products that are similar, so why not one more).

I may earn a commission if you click the link above.

[Mod Edit]: Replaced cloaked Amazon affiliate referral link with clean product link (referral tag removed).

Welcome @duckdriverman!

The Wyze cam Outdoor already has a battery, so i would think it would be more affective to use that. Maybe Wyze will make their own solar panel and/or WCO with V3-like features.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Next-gen Wyze Cam (v5) Ideas

My cameras pick up a whole lot of nothing: shadows, vegetation, chasing cars, etc. Now this may take away from Wyze’s body recognition system but I would like Wyze cams to have a thermal sensor either built into the camera or attached (like the spotlight). This would allow the user to either use regular motion detection or thermal infrared detection. The sensor would pick up a warm body of a certain size and turn on the camera to record it. Uh, I didn’t read all the wishlist instructions, I think I’m supposed to say, “So it is written and so it shall be.” Thanks.

Sounds like a great idea, but Wyze doesn’t improve their products much. Generally, more costly hardware would be needed to increase the power of the images plus recording at multiple resolutions at same time. Better hardware/software would go against Wyze low pricing.

In my experience, you trade off lower resolution recording for increased recording time on storage. If you absolutely need high rez get a second camera that records 100% of time and set that to high rez with no alerts, while the low rez cams can be used as the alerts and can be set to record on motion or 100% too.

Even with high rez, videos don’t always get quality images when zoomed to see someone stealing or doing something to your property farther away. Lighting even affects higher rez videos. For these scenarios, you’d need perfect lighting when the event occurs plus high resolution camera with high frame rates to capture zoomed in still shots.

The best bet is to put cam as close to the action as possible (end or halfway of driveway/yard etc) and layer cam angles. So if one camera does get center of the action, the other cam may get better images.

99% of my Wyze alerts are garbage (light changes, insects, wind shadow movements) even with movement settings set to 4% and minimizing alert field to just a sliver of sidewalk. The only great images with great detail seen on my Wyze are moments where person/animal is near camera. If they are 50-70 feet off and also at the edge of the camera view, zooming in yields minimal results with great lighting.

If possible, I recommend a hardwired 4k cam system that is off network and not connected to internet. And use fewer Wyze cams to send notifications at key points (doors, driveway). The better 4k cams would capture way better detail when zooming AND would be more useful as evidence during low lighting situations.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Next-gen Wyze Cam (v5) Ideas

I just Want a V4 Camera with Better Quality 2k and up or a 1080p with better sensor / Quality
with better Motion detection PIR
Better Quality Video, less false triggers
Ability to send video to my Network NVR and
ABILITY TO VIEW ON A COMPUTER / NVR - THIS IS THE #1 ISSUE

2 Likes

Personally I am not a big fan of the Outdoor cameras. Part of that is that I need continuous recording, so I only get like 5-6 days out of the battery. I like the PIR, but don’t like that they don’t have the Color Night View (I am guessing due to battery concerns). That and the wired vs wireless are the only differences between the Outdoor and v3.

I think it’s stupid that there is a v3 which is basically a wired outdoor camera, and then a wireless outdoor camera. There should be ONE camera that has PIR AND Color Night View. Give it a battery and done. The cameras already operate using WiFi, so they would operate just as they normally would. A base would be optional (ie if I mount them on top of my house and don’t want to climb up there to get the SD card). Bonus, if you lose power, the battery power is used to continue use of the camera.

This would simplify the manufacturing allowing you to “meet-in-the-middle” on pricing since you’d be able to hit higher manufacturing numbers. It would not affect the subscription model and you’d likely be able to push it even more.
If you add an add-on solar module to “extend” the usage between charges (don’t say it would run off of it as it would bit you in the ass legally later) it would add infinite usage scenarios for the v4 or as I’d like to call it “One Camera to Rule Them All”

1 Like

Also, the playback does not work most of the time as it just stopped responding and I had to view the playback all over again. I wish that there is a feature to fast forward to the motion part of the recorded video instead of having to scroll through the whole video slowly.

One reason would be that the v3 is rated for outdoor use, and every additional port is something additional to protect against water infiltration.

I don’t know about the v3, but keep in mind the v1/v2 hardware were not Wyze’s design.